User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Probability - Independent Events - Help Plox I'm braindead

Question:

You roll 3 numerical dice.

One is a 6 sided die (1-6)

One is a 4 sided die (1-4)

One is a 3 sided die (1-3)

If they are each rolled once, what is the probability at least one rolls a number 1.

I feel like the simple answer is gamblers fallacy, each event is independent.

But I also feel like there is a compound probability proof I'm completely forgetting.

Logically I'm compelled to think it's as simple as:

Probability of an event happening = Number of ways it can happen / Total number of outcomes

E.g. 3/13 or 23% of one die rolling a number 1

Anyone chime in?

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Probability - Independent Events - Help Plox I'm braindead

Or maybe since they're all 1s, it is mutually exclusive lol. Been like 5 years since stats, IDR all the rules.
    Ask Orpz lol

Edit: nvm since it's all just 1, it is mutually exclusive. Multiple dice tricked me. Just tried the formula and it was 0% lol probably is just the number of positive outcomes/number of total outcomes
    Last edited by Cryptonic; February 22nd, 2016 at 06:23 AM.

4. ISO #4

Yeah See? It's deceptive! Lol.

I think the other way of measuring probability which results in a number close to 0 is from using permutations formula.

E.g.
    D1 - 1
    D2 - 1,2,3,4
    D3 - 1,2,3

D1 - 2
    D2 - 1,2,3,4
    D3 - 1,2,3

But even factorials should be easy.

I'll try it this way and see if I get zero again, but I think it's more reliable.
    I think I'd need to measure the (1-P[of not one 1]).

5. ISO #5

40.5-43.3% chance
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

Or you can do it the more complex way:

But, you have to include all outcomes

Possible Positive Outcomes = 42

That is 72 possible outcomes (6*4*3)

42/72 = 58.3%

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    Or you can do it the more complex way:

But, you have to include all outcomes

Possible Positive Outcomes = 42

That is 72 possible outcomes (6*4*3)

42/72 = 58.3%
    ^This! I just forgot how to solve for that mathematically instead of long form! :-P

Obviously the reason I'm asking this here is because it pertains to Mafia/games.

The only other permutations formulas that are relevant would be something along the lines of:

In a pool of 16 players, 7 are scum. If 2 players are picked at random what is the probability they are all scum?

There are C(7,2) ways to pick a group of 2 scum out of 7.

There are C(16,2) ways to pick any group of 2 players out of 16.

So the probability is [C(7,2)] / [C(16,2)] = [(21)] / [(120)] = 0.175
    or 2 in 12 chances that a towny would pick 2 scum at random

c(x,y)= (x!/[(X!-Y!)*y])

What is the probability of at least 1 being scum?
    We find the complement event and subtract from 1.

The complement event of at least one scum is having no scum, which means all town. (assuming you are Town)

There are C(9,2) ways to pick a group of 2 towns out of the 9.

There are C(16,2) ways to pick any group of 2 players out of the 12.

So the probability is [C(9,2)] / [C(16,2)] = 36/ 120
    or 3 out of 10 chances that a towny would pick at 2 town at random out of 2 picks.

or

100%-30%=

70% chances a towny would pick 1 scum out of 2 random picks.

The combined probabilities of choosing scum in 2 picks suggests the strategy should be everyone randomly picks 2 players to town block with until mechanical patterns present themselves.

]`§-----

There are C(3,2) ways to pick a group of 2 scum out of 3.

There are C(12,2) ways to pick any group of 2 players out of 12.

So the probability is [C(3,2)] / [C(12,2)] = [(6/2)] / [(479,001,600/7,257,600)] = 3/66
    or 1 in 22 chances that a towny would pick 2 scum at random

c(x,y)= (x!/[(X!-Y!)*y])

What is the probability of at least 1 being scum?
    We find the complement event and subtract from 1.

The complement event of at least one scum is having no scum, which means all town. (assuming you are Town)

There are C(9,2) ways to pick a group of 2 towns out of the 9.

There are C(12,2) ways to pick any group of 2 players out of the 12.

So the probability is [C(9,2)] / [C(12,2)] = [(362880/10080
    )] / [(479,001,600/7,257,600
    )] = 36/ 66
    or 55% chances that a towny would pick at 2 town at random out of 2 picks.

or

100%-55%=

45% chances a towny would pick 1 scum out of 2 random picks.

The combined probabilities of choosing scum in 2 picks suggests the strategy should be everyone randomly picks 2 players to town block with until mechanical patterns present themselves.
    Last edited by Frog; February 22nd, 2016 at 10:01 AM.

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

Lol yea that can help, but using words is easy to find where someone is being soft. Numbers are absolute

You say the probability of randomly lynching a scum, add variables that make someone more/less likely, but lynch on someone you know it town.

Town has a 0% to lynch scum if they follow your lead, but they'll be like "65% chance this person is scum?! That's probably our best move."

15. ISO #15

Lol yea that can help, but using words is easy to find where someone is being soft. Numbers are absolute

You say the probability of randomly lynching a scum, add variables that make someone more/less likely, but lynch on someone you know it town.

Town has a 0% to lynch scum if they follow your lead, but they'll be like "65% chance this person is scum?! That's probably our best move."
    Lol. Yeah. 3 words for lies. Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.

The risk of strategy being scum manipulated is almost always too high to disclose said strategies as town. That's why I normally (odds rolling town vs. odds rolling scum - normally town) keep it to myself. :-P

Anyway, it's just one tool for the toolbox when defending an action you might take.

I agree that there is an art to Mafia/Games because you rarely ever get one strictly dominant strategy (the most common exceptions being lynch everyday as town, or keeping town size at odd numbers for particular games). It's choosing between the weakly dominated strategies by sizing up your opponents that gets you the best strategy for that particular game.

16. ISO #16

The best way is to use complement probabilities.
    Let A = event of the 6-headed die not rolling a one, B = event of the 4-headed die not rolling a one, C = event of the 3-headed die not rolling a one, and furthermore P(A), P(B), P(C) denote their respective probabilities.

Then our desired probability is calculated as:
    1 - P(A and B and C), and by independence
    1 - P(A)*P(B)*P(C) =
    1 - (5/6)*(3/4)*(2/3) =

7/12
    Spoiler : Orpz FM History :

FM17 - Won, FM18 - Won, FM19 - Won ,FM20 - Loss, FM21 - Won, MVP, FM22 - Host Canceled, FM23 - Won, FM24 - Hosted, FM25 - Won, FM26 - Loss

17. ISO #17

Since there's C[16,2] total ways to pick two players out, the probability of picking at least 1 scum out of 2 is equal to the probability of picking 1 scum out of 2 plus probability of picking 2 scum out of 2.

Assuming there are 7 scums and 9 towns,

P(At least 1 scum) = P(exactly 1 scum) + P(exactly 2 scums) = C[7,1]*C[9,1] / C[16,2] + C[7,2]/C[16,2] = 0.525 + 0.175 = 0.7

You can also use complement probability here but I like to count scums instead of I know the probabilities of each amount of scums
    Spoiler : Orpz FM History :

FM17 - Won, FM18 - Won, FM19 - Won ,FM20 - Loss, FM21 - Won, MVP, FM22 - Host Canceled, FM23 - Won, FM24 - Hosted, FM25 - Won, FM26 - Loss

18. ISO #18

Quote Originally Posted by Orpz View Post
    The best way is to use complement probabilities.
    Let A = event of the 6-headed die not rolling a one, B = event of the 4-headed die not rolling a one, C = event of the 3-headed die not rolling a one, and furthermore P(A), P(B), P(C) denote their respective probabilities.

Then our desired probability is calculated as:
    1 - P(A and B and C), and by independence
    1 - P(A)*P(B)*P(C) =
    1 - (5/6)*(3/4)*(2/3) =

7/12
    TY! Elegant simple solution.

19. ISO #19

Quote Originally Posted by Orpz View Post
    Since there's C[16,2] total ways to pick two players out, the probability of picking at least 1 scum out of 2 is equal to the probability of picking 1 scum out of 2 plus probability of picking 2 scum out of 2.

Assuming there are 7 scums and 9 towns,

P(At least 1 scum) = P(exactly 1 scum) + P(exactly 2 scums) = C[7,1]*C[9,1] / C[16,2] + C[7,2]/C[16,2] = 0.525 + 0.175 = 0.7

You can also use complement probability here but I like to count scums instead of I know the probabilities of each amount of scums
    Lol yeah, my conclusions for those in written form aren't correct. I replaced the numbers but forgot to change the conclusion to match 70% chance of hitting at least one scum out of 2 random picks in that scenario.

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    The main purpose of this is checking for balance in games. Not necessarily confirmed strategy to be used every time going forward. It doesn't account for power in roles. Power can be adjusted based on probability of random success.
    You can't really balance a game with probability, though, cause no game is played thru random acts.
    Easy way to balance is

Number of TPR = Number of Citizens +1 = Number of Non-Town +1
    Number of possible deaths = Number of possible ways for someone to survive.

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

You can't really balance a game with probability, though, cause no game is played thru random acts.
    Easy way to balance is

Number of TPR = Number of Citizens +1 = Number of Non-Town +1
    Number of possible deaths = Number of possible ways for someone to survive.
    Is there some kind of reasoning behind that, or is that from experience from loads of games?

25. ISO #25

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Is there some kind of reasoning behind that, or is that from experience from loads of games?
    You can't balance that way because Mafia is not a game of randomness and probability.
    You can't make a game expecting everyone to play a certain way, because that won't happen.

If your question is about the reasoning behind the formula, it's mainly from experience. If you throw in custom roles, then obviously that will skew balance, ect. My logic behind using that as a base for games is that non-town roles need room to hide, and Citizens give them that room. So, equal amounts of Citizens & Non-Town. Town would also make up 2/3 of the game while Non-Town makes up 1/3. So, TPR would need to usually have 1 more player. Unless, of course, it's mathematically impossible, then # TPR can = # Cits