What is your religious view? - Page 2
Register

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. ISO #51

Re: What is your religious view?

Well, for one thing, I'm not married. Also, I'm not Catholic: I'm Protestant. The way I've been taught, having children isn't an obligation. Most Christians do end up getting married, and most married Christians do end up having children, but I would attribute that more to wanting to build a legacy/pass on what you've learned than the church actually encouraging procreation.
    AKA Othnia (Battle.net ID): formerly in FMs II-XII.

2. ISO #52

Quote Originally Posted by Ganondorf View Post
    Well, for one thing, I'm not married. Also, I'm not Catholic: I'm Protestant. The way I've been taught, having children isn't an obligation. Most Christians do end up getting married, and most married Christians do end up having children, but I would attribute that more to wanting to build a legacy/pass on what you've learned than the church actually encouraging procreation.
    i never said it was an obligation, but it is a key point to a reason that the church teaches as to getting married! Whether people follow that rule is their choice!

i<3cryptonic

3. ISO #53

4. ISO #54

Those discussions are far off the topic.

All major branch religions are bloody practical.

Encouraging having kids or not have nothing to do with belief itself.

Practical and positive reward to actions through religious practice is the weakest argument to strengthen belief.

It is simply necessary that a religion being practical in order to survive.

Who wants to practice some non-sense? At least majority of a society won't care.

But belief has nothing to do with bloodline and personal power,

those are just practical people try to persuade themselves that those religion is good for them.

Come on, as long as you have kids, it is good for your family power.

No one has to be a Catholic or else to know that.

Taking care of kids will also result you recognize your own responsibility and become a better person.

Jesus doesn't have to come to tell you so that you know it is beneficial.

But are those information necessary for you to recognize that Jesus is right? No.

Protestant cut off a lot of those nonsense for good reasons.

It is like someone tells you stone is harder than your fist. Practical truth doesn't make the person a god.

A more practical religion doesn't make its belief stronger.

If someone can feel and hear the lord's sooth in church, he/she should know to believe already.

That is the most important. Religious lore and texts comes way after those.

I would say it is more like this in a belief system:

Connection with God > Good Will > Common Sense > Religious Lore/texts > Religious Rules/Argument > Practical Policy: Having Kids?

After WW2/civ war, Chinese Government encouraged every mother having more kids, calling them Heroine Mothers. The population suddenly raises couple billion.

Does that make Chinese communist government any good target to believe in?

Policies are made to be practical after all.
    Last edited by louiswill; November 23rd, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

5. ISO #55

6. ISO #56

If it is about evolution and god, I feel no interests.

People love to put one thing against each other.

Science has nothing to do with Belief.

Those contests are getting old for me.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

7. ISO #57

whether or not your brand of christianity pressures u to have kids wasnt the point. the point was that at the time simon peter started the catholic church, christianity was seen as a cult (reason for the crucifixion), and the early church had a strong emphasis on procreation. nuns dont procreate because they are married to god and priests are celibate lest the 'word of god' become tainted like eve. religious homophobia is as archaic as bloodletting and earth-centric astronomy.

8. ISO #58

9. ISO #59

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    That chart is dumb. Atheism and theism require the same amount of faith since you can't prove either.
    No. I think the belief chart is more like left wing /right wing than a meter goes from 0 - 100 Belief amount.

10. ISO #60

11. ISO #61

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorblaze View Post
    You don't have to prove that something doesn't exist. It should not be assumed that it exists unless proven otherwise. This is elementary logic. It's mathematically proven to be a safe bet.

Reported for trolling in serious discussion.

Using the same logic, Raptorblaze has brain cancer until proven otherwise. Doctors can't find it? It's because current limitations of cancer detection methods. Time for insurance payout.

Die retard!
    Last edited by Nick; November 25th, 2013 at 06:53 AM.

12. ISO #62

13. ISO #63

Quote Originally Posted by Caylara View Post
    I agree. I've asked myself once why do people celebrate christmas, it is the birthday of someone that never existed!
    I agree. Why did Einstein get all the credit for something that he THOUGHT was true, NEVER PROVED it, and the next generation of top notch scientists proved what he just thought of? You're Einstein, you should know. Please enlighten me.
    We are opposed to the line of compromise with imperialism. At the same time, we cannot tolerate the practice of only shouting against imperialism, but, in actual fact, being afraid to fight it. Kim Il Sung
    [CENTER]S-FM: Bus Drivers, S-FM: Trust, S-FM: Double Killers, S-FM: Double Killers Too, S-FM: Heart of the Swarm [COLOR="#FF0000"]HOST[SIZE=1]

14. ISO #64

Now that I think of it.. I went off-topic.
    We are opposed to the line of compromise with imperialism. At the same time, we cannot tolerate the practice of only shouting against imperialism, but, in actual fact, being afraid to fight it. Kim Il Sung
    [CENTER]S-FM: Bus Drivers, S-FM: Trust, S-FM: Double Killers, S-FM: Double Killers Too, S-FM: Heart of the Swarm [COLOR="#FF0000"]HOST[SIZE=1]

15. ISO #65

16. ISO #66

Quote Originally Posted by ypmagic View Post
    I agree. Why did Einstein get all the credit for something that he THOUGHT was true, NEVER PROVED it, and the next generation of top notch scientists proved what he just thought of? You're Einstein, you should know. Please enlighten me.
    His theory was comproved in 1920, I think. And, I know people who consider Einstein a genius without even knowing what he did for humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudemanguy12 View Post
    It was bound to go off-topic, it already has in a way, from religious views to challenging another's faith.

Shouldn't expect any better from a religion topic.
    No religious threads in any forums will end well.

17. ISO #67

18. ISO #68

His theory was comproved in 1920, I think. And, I know people who consider Einstein a genius without even knowing what he did for humanity.

No religious threads in any forums will end well.
    I remember watching a youtube video of some guy trolling on CSS's Jailbreak and some other game, and one guy on mic was mentioning evolution in the most ridiculous way. Because of that, it resulted into a religion flamebait.

Religion should not even be mentioned on the internet in general. >_>

Actually this is going fairly well all things considered, possibly because we dealt with the two or three troll posts swiftly and violently.
    Then Slaol has predicted this pretty well. Anything that is offensive or references religion is easily a trollbait.

19. ISO #69

Quote Originally Posted by Dudemanguy12 View Post
    I remember watching a youtube video of some guy trolling on CSS's Jailbreak and some other game, and one guy on mic was mentioning evolution in the most ridiculous way. Because of that, it resulted into a religion flamebait.

Religion should not even be mentioned on the internet in general. >_>

Then Slaol has predicted this pretty well. Anything that is offensive or references religion is easily a trollbait.
    Dude, look at me and bunny's conversation earlier in the thread. Normally we're at eachother's throats about religion topics.

If there is anything that proves I am not an abusive admin, it's that I have not banned anyone for their religious views no matter how much I disagree.

20. ISO #70

Dude, look at me and bunny's conversation earlier in the thread. Normally we're at eachother's throats about religion topics.

If there is anything that proves I am not an abusive admin, it's that I have not banned anyone for their religious views no matter how much I disagree.
    I guess. It makes sense. I've never seen you as an abusive admin, I don't really want anyone to think I'm trying to bring anyone down.

21. ISO #71

Honestly I am impressed at how well this topic has done.

To get back on topic what do you think Gods alignment would be if you believe there is one? I feel like it would be true neutral simply because anything out of balance in this life seems to have an equal and opposite reaction. From our laws of reality to our personal life choices.

22. ISO #72

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkLiveLife View Post
    Honestly I am impressed at how well this topic has done.

To get back on topic what do you think Gods alignment would be if you believe there is one? I feel like it would be true neutral simply because anything out of balance in this life seems to have an equal and opposite reaction. From our laws of reality to our personal life choices.
    A god will be all alignments because it is god.

It is supreme to all as both omega and alpha.

Balance and equal opposition is the best out of best, I would consider it is good but I know it is more than that.

There is no way to protect a being better than let it protect itself in a fluid equivalent contest, derive the tendency to infinity.

23. ISO #73

Define God please, so we all know what we're talking about.

Entity? Capacity for thought? Created everything we can perceive and possibly more? Knows that we exist? Cares about us? I mean, there are just so many variables to consider...

When someone says God you conjure this imagine of a benevolent dude with a beard sitting in the sky that created nothing, everything, knows you exist, and cares about your existence... it's a little far fetched...

24. ISO #74

I agree. I've asked myself once why do people celebrate christmas, it is the birthday of someone that never existed!
    Christian holidays are regularly a merger or christian historical events. Birth of Christ, death of Christ, 4th of July, etc. Then you add in a seasonal pagan holiday. You have to remember, Christianity was basically birthed and first largely accepted by Rome; granted long after it first tried to show up and Rome killed it. Jesus was put down, more for being a revolutionary leader, not as a religious man. Rome was very good for it's time at taking in other people's Gods and letting them worship them. It is why they had so many gods. So, they kind of merged into one big clusterfuck of a religion.

Why are the signs of Easter Bunny's and Eggs? Because they symbolize fertility in spring. Spring is the season of life and birth, so the symbols are of fertility.

If Jesus was an actual guy, and not a literary representation of whatever, then he was most likely not born in Christmas. The winters in the region where he was born make it very unlikely that the shepherds would have been in their fields or that the barn he was in would have been a suitable place for his parents to stay. Much less birth a child. Christmas was a gift giving winter holiday, that has been attached to Jesus, like the one in Spring.

gg.

25. ISO #75

26. ISO #76

I start to forget what are we talking about.

I would define God as vague as possible so that I can throw any new ideas into it any time I feel like.

27. ISO #77

28. ISO #78

why can't we ever discus other religions, instead of it always coming back to christianty/catholicism.

for instance, when the discussion was about homosexuality, no one mentions that islams dont accept homosexuality either!
    Last edited by Bunny; November 26th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.

i<3cryptonic

29. ISO #79

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    why can't we ever discus other religions, instead of it always coming back to christianty/catholicism.

for instance, when the discussion was about homosexuality, no one mentions that islams dont accept homosexuality either!
    Probably because while Christianity is obsessed with sexuality in general, but good in many other respects, Islam is crazy in MANY topics and it's hard to pick any one as the worst.

Edit: Also most of us are from western cultural areas and therefore most familiar with christianity more than other religions.

30. ISO #80

Joking or not, I think Bunny has a good point.

I'd say I view Islam positively except the worrying future of combine politic and religion.

I would like to discuss Islam but I always worry that it will be too unpopular to be a topic just like discussing DOTA2 here.
    Last edited by louiswill; November 26th, 2013 at 04:46 PM.

31. ISO #81

I think the homosexuality thing was kinda more geared towards Abrahamic faiths in general. In practice, I don't actually think Islam is that far off. It is pretty unforgiving (*coughcough* Sharia law), but I can't really argue with things like the 5 pillars or the real (rather than radical) implications of Jihad.
    AKA Othnia (Battle.net ID): formerly in FMs II-XII.

32. ISO #82

Probably because while Christianity is obsessed with sexuality in general, but good in many other respects, Islam is crazy in MANY topics and it's hard to pick any one as the worst.

Edit: Also most of us are from western cultural areas and therefore most familiar with christianity more than other religions.
    Islam/Muslim is the second most common religion in Canada, with Christianity being the first. So obviously, we should familiarize ourselves with it. Clearly many people on here are misinformed about Christianity and the practices that they think they know. Also, I wouldn't say christianity is any more "obsessed" with sexuality than Islam is. Being homosexual is unacceptable in the Islam faith, so why is it that we only talk about the way Christians view it. People of the Islamic faith are very gender and sexuality "obsessed" look at the way women are expected to dress. Women are treated very differently in that religion due to the stigma of sexuality.

i<3cryptonic

33. ISO #83

Islam/Muslim is the second most common religion in Canada, with Christianity being the first. So obviously, we should familiarize ourselves with it. Clearly many people on here are misinformed about Christianity and the practices that they think they know. Also, I wouldn't say christianity is any more "obsessed" with sexuality than Islam is. Being homosexual is unacceptable in the Islam faith, so why is it that we only talk about the way Christians view it. People of the Islamic faith are very gender and sexuality "obsessed" look at the way women are expected to dress. Women are treated very differently in that religion due to the stigma of sexuality.
    hmm you seem to have misinterpreted what I said so allow me to rephrase.

Let's say Christianity is Person A and Islam is Person B.

Let's also pretend both are politicians as it makes for an easy analogy. We'll also say how much a politician is "liked" is how common the religion is.

Person A is in general a well-liked candidate in the region, however he has views on human sexuality which many of his constituents find disagreeable. These views may not necessarily be radical or extreme, but there is clear disagreement there. This causes those views to become the most common discussion topic (a debate where everyone agrees is boring).

Person B is not as well liked in this region as Person A. Many of his views are considered extreme or radical or even dangerous by the region's population. Some claim that Person B is merely "misunderstood" and as many people are unfamiliar with him, they are generally willing to accept that answer. Then Person B in a bout of brazenness decries the people claiming he is merely misunderstood, affirming that what is perceived about his beliefs is in fact true. People find the man crazy, but because they find MANY OF HIS BELIEFS to be crazy, they have a difficult time picking on any one as the most crazy.

Person B thinks homosexuals should be killed. Person A does not consider their actions to be moral. Yet Person A's beliefs on homosexuality are much more likely to be discussed than Person B's.

Does that explain it better?

34. ISO #84

Quote Originally Posted by ypmagic View Post
    Lol, are you serious?

Gravity is a theory, brah. Go live in space.

35. ISO #85

what an ethnocentric thing to say.

36. ISO #86

Islam is 200 years or so behind Christianity. They are just spouting the same shit Christianity spouted in the past. Give them time and they will improve.

Perhaps I should use "people who believe in Islam" and "people who believe in Christianity". More accurate.

Literal translation of religious texts? Both are as scary.

37. ISO #87

I always lived in a blended blur of Christianity, Hinduism and Shenism (folk religion). Neither of them really strike me in particular, though.

I also have yet to meet an extremist Muslim. All of the people I have met can barely be described as living 200 years ago. Some people are "traditional" regardless of their religion. I have yet to notice an important difference between a traditional Christian, Muslim or Chinese. Traditional means (amongst other things demanding obedience from children, disregarding a facet of modern lifestyle (including homosexuality, drinking, playing video games), adhering to old practices ...

I don't see traditional people as misguided ... you just need to learn how to deal with them.

38. ISO #88

-edit I wouldn't say that all Muslim cultures are sexually conservative at all. Pm me if you want an account of my reasoning for this..

I'm not sure how Muslim cultures are in other areas or in cities that have more than a hundred people but there it is.

I really agree with the 200 years in the past bit. In many other aspects they were extremely conservative
    Last edited by Helz; November 27th, 2013 at 08:39 AM.

39. ISO #89

40. ISO #90

Techniquewise, following 5 pillars is enough to make you a muslin. Right?

I think Islam gives a lot of freedom on their membership.

Lord knows why it turns out to have so many extremist offspring these days.

41. ISO #91

42. ISO #92

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Never got to do with religion. Just an excuse. It's humans.
    If religion is like bread dough, things will be much easier. Agree?

43. ISO #93

Quote Originally Posted by louiswill View Post
    Techniquewise, following 5 pillars is enough to make you a muslin. Right?

I think Islam gives a lot of freedom on their membership.

Lord knows why it turns out to have so many extremist offspring these days.
    So you imply that there are more extremist Muslims than extremist Christians? I think that stands to debate / needs to be proven first.

44. ISO #94

45. ISO #95

46. ISO #96

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPink View Post
    So you imply that there are more extremist Muslims than extremist Christians? I think that stands to debate / needs to be proven first.
    Though religion has influence of extremism, I think it doesn't worth to debate when it comes to major religions.

I think poverty is the biggest cause of extremist.

Though there are wealthy extremist, but they are few.

Back to crusader time like 800 years ago, I think there are more extremist Christians than Muslims.

I rather think it is economic reasons.

Back to then, Muslims relied on trades, they definitely would not want to have extremist military group cut routes off.

Also, common sense, why would you want to change the world so badly that you would believe in some extreme rules, if you can in fact live a fairly happy life?
    Last edited by louiswill; December 1st, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

47. ISO #97

Instead of stating your own religious view, we're just discussing and contrasting aspects of religion and particular faiths. Maybe instead we should make posts about one particular faith or religious view at a time.

My favorite religious view, or 'faith' is ismaili muslim.
    Ismaili Muslims believe all faiths share the same one true God, endowing this God with omnipresence (He is everywhere and everything). Their faith is based upon humanism and charity. Because God is everywhere and everything, it is very important to treat each human and their life as sacred.

In Pakistan, this faith is a very powerful and positive force for the community that endures widespread poverty. I have the utmost respect for these people, even though I do not share the same religious views.

48. ISO #98

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Instead of stating your own religious view, we're just discussing and contrasting aspects of religion and particular faiths. Maybe instead we should make posts about one particular faith or religious view at a time.

My favorite religious view, or 'faith' is ismaili muslim.
    Ismaili Muslims believe all faiths share the same one true God, endowing this God with omnipresence (He is everywhere and everything). Their faith is based upon humanism and charity. Because God is everywhere and everything, it is very important to treat each human and their life as sacred.

In Pakistan, this faith is a very powerful and positive force for the community that endures widespread poverty. I have the utmost respect for these people, even though I do not share the same religious views.
    Thats' right!

Jesus talked about love; Muhammad went against corruption.

All good religion are the ones with positive energy, which help humanity survive poverty and cruelty.

My present concerned religion is one called Fa Lun Da Fa from Chinese.

Though it disclaim itself as neither a religion or a political power but it has its own faith and belief.

I argue that they are political important and are a group of people united by faiths.

Its goal is to restore man's spiritual back to heaven level, aka, save the people.

It is neither about salvation or common practice but a combination of mystic and good.

It argued that everyone man was once powerful and higher level being which came down to save the world, but the memory are lost and the goal was forgotten.

Its deity system was similar to Buddhism where each being's level is determined by its goodness.

Certainly people like Jesus are placed as the top layer, but the leader of this religion thinks himself is doing things as important as Jesus.

I'd say it is a clever move that avoid to put an equal between him and god but emphasis his own cause is open to judgement.

It also 'borrowed' Interesting high energy physics as their core to unite abstract ideas with material world.

Currently it is BANNED from China, I'd say Chinese government made serials of mistakes on their free religion practices.

49. ISO #99

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPink View Post
    This~

I think any extremist culture is attractive. It gives a very solid sense of purpose to the lost and has so many avenue you can go to extreme actions while being justified. I doubt anyone wakes up saying they want to protest a funeral or strap a bomb to their chest but there is a lot of steps to get you there and a community to push you along the way and tell you that what you are doing is profound and amazing. Its something worth dieing for.

I bet there is more extreme Christians. I count the Omish, fundamental Baptist and Traditional Mormons among them.

50. ISO #100

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkLiveLife View Post
    This~

I think any extremist culture is attractive. It gives a very solid sense of purpose to the lost and has so many avenue you can go to extreme actions while being justified. I doubt anyone wakes up saying they want to protest a funeral or strap a bomb to their chest but there is a lot of steps to get you there and a community to push you along the way and tell you that what you are doing is profound and amazing. Its something worth dieing for.

I bet there is more extreme Christians. I count the Omish, fundamental Baptist and Traditional Mormons among them.
    Where are you meeting all these extremeist christians?! Like there's barely any in Canada, am I to assume it's more of a usa thing? Like I know there are some here, but I've never met any!

i<3cryptonic