Tower of God - 5F
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. ISO #1

Post Tower of God - 5F

Welcome to the fifth floor of Tower of God, dear regulars. Today is the day when both groups will merge their efforts to climb the Tower together. Now it is the time to meet your new peers and learn more about each other. Make yourselves comfortable and talk with each other while you have the chance, as I announce to you the next test. Check your current score:

Astrid (DanishPie) 1950
    Vantas 1350
    _Q2 1150
    Apache 750
    Raven 750
    Grovylite 550
    Caysapferg 550
    Lugialord (Euphoria) 500
    NocturneGale (AlphaStorm) 450
    Tonex 400
    Glip 350
    Numbertwo 350
    louiswill 100
    Citrus 50
    42shadow42 50
    NoctiZ 50
    powerofdeath 0

As you can see, most of the Marrilanders earned a lot of points in previous tests. Astrid earned 1000 points in Bomb and Fuse alone, and Vantas had acqured the most amount of vaccines in Pandemic Game. Both also earned good amount of points in Room of Trust and made a full cooperation in Garden of Eden. Furthermore, both of then have more than 1000 Test Points each, which means that is is possible for either of then in the future to create new tests inside the Tower on their own. But the next test will provide a really serious challenge for both of then, becuase those two "kings" will now stand to face each other in the...

Tower of God - 5F: The Chess Party
    Last edited by Fragos; May 16th, 2014 at 09:43 PM.

Spoiler : Forum Mafia History :
    FMVI: Seer FMVII: Lookout FMIX: Propagandist FMX: Arsonist FMXI:Janitor FMXIII: Corrupt Journalist
    FMXIV: Lookout FM XVI: Vigilante FM XVII: Host FM XVIII: Witch FM XIX: Bounty Hunter FMXX: Electro Maniac

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Post Re: Tower of God - 5F

Have you played a game of chess? It's a well-known board game where two players control their figures on the chessboard. Each player begins the game with 16 pieces: one king, one queen, two rooks, two knights, two bishops, and eight pawns. Each of the six piece types moves differently. Pieces are used to attack and capture the opponent's pieces, with the objective to 'checkmate' the opponent's king by placing it under an inescapable threat of capture. In addition to checkmate, the game can be won by the voluntary resignation of the opponent, which typically occurs when too much material is lost, or if checkmate appears unavoidable.

If you are unfamiliar with chess, ask assisstance from your teammates, or read the article on Wikipedia.

Now, why I have gathered all of you here? To make you play chess with each other, or course! However, there is a twist in this game. Instead of two players playing the game on a single board, there will be 16 players playing the game on a single board. Essentially, each person will be representing a certain chess piece that he will have to control! Take a closer look at this picture, if you please:

Attachment 16731

Spoiler : Team distribution :
    White team:

Rook A and Pawn A - Grovylite
    Knight B and Pawn B - Numbertwo
    Bishop C and Pawn C - Tonex
    Queen and Pawn D - Apache
    King and Pawn E - Vantas
    Bishop F and Pawn F - louiswill
    Knight G and Pawn G - NoctiZ
    Rook H and Pawn H - Euphoria

Black team:

Rook A and Pawn A - Raven
    Knight B and Pawn B - Glip
    Bishop C and Pawn C - AlphaStorm
    Queen and Pawn D - _Q2
    King and Pawn E - Astrid
    Bishop F and Pawn F - Citrus
    Knight G and Pawn G - 42shadow42
    Rook H and Pawn H - Cay

In addition to that, powerofdeath has the option of taking control of any pawn on the board of his choice. That pawn will be no longer controlled by its original owner, but King can still move that pawn at expense of 100 points.

As you can see, I have divided all regulars in two teams, and made it so that both teams would be even in terms of power and their score points. Each team will be represented by their "king" - Vantas for white team, and Astrid for black team. Each person will control two chess pieces - one major piece, and one pawn that is right above then. Because each chess piece can ONLY be moved by their individual owner, the teamwork will be very essential in order to win this test.

The King is an exception to this rule - he can move any chess piece manually if he wants, but moving any pieces other than his own will cost the king 100 Test Points. Because the King is the core of the team, it is advised to follow him and obey his instructions, or esle he can force your piece to move into infavorable position. The King is also the only person who can initiate castling - a move which can switch his position with one of the rooks. The objective of this game is to checkmate the enemy king. You also win if the opposing King concedes the game, or if the opposing team's time runs out.

If a King becomes under check, he will lose 100 Test points for each different chess figure that have managed to check that king. You can utilise this opportunity to check the opposing king with as many different figures as possible, if you want to strip the opposing King out of points. When a King loses the game under checkmate, timeout, or concedes, that person will lose 1000 Test Points, and his teammates will lose 100 Test Points each. Likewise, winning a chess game will earn the King 1000 Test points, and he can distrubite 500 of those points to his teammates in any way he wants (in addittion to 100 TP that they will already receive).

In addition to the King, there will be also other figures on the board, and each of those figures will have a certain price. You will earn Test points if you capture an opposing chess piece, and lose an equal amount of TP if you lose your respective piece. Here is the point price for each chess piece:

Queen - 750 Test points
    Rook - 500 Test points
    Knight - 250 Test points
    Bishop - 250 Test points
    Pawn - 100 Test Points

This is the primary reason why Apache and _Q2 can control a Queen - because their score is already high enough to cope with the possible loss of such an important figure. However, there are certain regulars who only have 50-100 Test points - which can cause then to go in negative if they lose their figures. But don't worry about that! All you have to do is to make your King win, and once you do that, he will be able to cover your point loss during point distrubution.

In addition to that, you can earn even more Test Points if you manage to promote your pawn by reaching the opposing end of the board. Any regular who managed to promote his pawn to a Queen will earn 750 Test Points, for example. But he will lose just as much points if a promoted piece becomes immediately captured by the enemy! So keep your promoted piece on the board if you want to keep the bonus score.

The next important rule is move recording. Only the person who is controlling his respective chess piece can move that piece, but be aware - moving any piece of your team will immediately end your turn and give the turn to the opposing team. So make sure first that your teammates are okay with your move! Your move must be recorded in red text, for example: Nc6. Notify the opposing team immediately once you make your move!

Chess games and positions are recorded using a special notation, most often algebraic chess notation. For example, Qg5 means "queen moves to the g-file and 5th rank" (that is, to the square g5). If there are two pieces of the same type that can move to the same square, one more letter or number is added to indicate the file or rank from which the piece moved, e.g. Ngf3 means "knight from the g-file moves to the square f3". If the piece makes a capture, "x" is inserted before the destination square. Thus Bxf3 means "bishop captures on f3". When a pawn makes a capture, the file from which the pawn departed is used in place of a piece initial, and ranks may be omitted if unambiguous. For example, exd5 (pawn on the e-file captures the piece on d5) or exd (pawn on the e-file captures a piece somewhere on the d-file).

Castling is indicated by the special notations 0-0 for kingside castling and 0-0-0 for queenside castling. An en passant capture is sometimes marked with the notation "e.p." A move that places the opponent's king in check usually has the notation "+" added. Checkmate can be indicated by "#"

The objective of this test is to make your current team win and and the opposing team lose. However, even if your team loses the game, your 5F trials will not end like that. And the winning team should not celebrate their spoils early - because another event will take place after your match is finished. I won't say anything more. Just make your team win!

Finally, this game will be played with a time control. Each team will have 400 hours (roughly 2 weeks) for strategic discussion. You can spend as much time as you want on your turn, be it 10 hours or 100 hours. However, once your timer runs out, your team will lose the game. Be aware that some regulars can make rushing moves on their own in order to avoid their team to lose by timeout. The team leader exists specifically to control those people, so keep than in mind!

How you set up your chess clock and keep the status of the board will be up to you. I will record the board status separately on my own because of your point change during the test. Private messages between the regulars will be allowed, but in general 5F chat only the team that is currently planning their turn has the rights to talk. I will penalise any regular who tries to post in 5F chat when it's not their turn.
    Last edited by Fragos; May 16th, 2014 at 09:43 PM.

FMVI: Seer FMVII: Lookout FMIX: Propagandist FMX: Arsonist FMXI:Janitor FMXIII: Corrupt Journalist
    FMXIV: Lookout FM XVI: Vigilante FM XVII: Host FM XVIII: Witch FM XIX: Bounty Hunter FMXX: Electro Maniac

4. ISO #4

Re: Tower of God - 5F

woo...I'm a noob at Chess....400 hours? That is too pro....
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

5. ISO #5

Post Re: Tower of God - 5F

In the chess battle between Vantas and Astrid, the person who wins this test gets the full control on 6F. That person will be able to create few minor tests, or one major challenge for other regulars, without the nessesity to participate in those tests himself. So there is something worth fightining for - especially when your defeat costs you 1000 Test Points. Do your best to make your team WIN!

Also, you probably have not noticed... but powerofdeath is not on this list right now. That is because the Chess Party was planned for 16 regulars, but powerofdeath is the 17th person. So the only figure that powerofdeath can control in this game is, unfortunately a pawn. The only advantage in this situation is that he can choose which of the 16 pawns he can control - white pawn or black pawn. But once powerofdeath has picked a team, he has to make his team win - or at the very least earn 100 or more Test Points with his pawn by capturing opposing team's pieces. Who knows, maybe that pawn even gets promoted during the match? Time will tell.

The Chess Party will start at this time:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...2014+20.00+MSK

Any questions that you ask, I will answer. Get yourselves and your team mates prepared!
    Last edited by Fragos; May 14th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

YYEEEEE THE TWO CHESS MASTARS

/me plays competitive and has a brother who can help who's nationally ranked a master

Spoiler : Game History :
    [X] S-FM Reverse Mafia - Mason Leader [L]
    [X] FM XXI - Drug Dealer [L]
    [X] S-FM "Do you even lift?"- Tardy Tim [L]
    [X] S-FM Deaths Deadly Damned Detroit - Doctor [W]
    [X] S-FM Double Agents - Mafioso [W]
    [X] S-FM Corrupt - Doctor [-]

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by _Q2 View Post
    Will teams lose test points if they lose the match, or will they only get a disadvantage?
    They will lose 100 Test points each, their king will lose 1000 Test Points AND they will receive a certain disadvantage at the next test.

And to Vantas, even if you have something like Deep Blue assisting you, it will matter only a little since your match is on timer and regulars can only move the chess pieces that they own. So take caution!

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Fragos View Post
    They will lose 100 Test points each, their king will lose 1000 Test Points AND they will receive a certain disadvantage at the next test.

And to Vantas, even if you have something like Deep Blue assisting you, it will matter only a little since your match is on timer and regulars can only move the chess pieces that they own. So take caution!
    The time control's very big though. Two weeks.

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

Quote Originally Posted by Numbertwo View Post
    check the board.
    Is it alternating or something? Like Danish is black, them I'm white, then _Q2's black and so on and so on?
    EDIT: NVM thanks xD

18. ISO #18

Ok, I'll make the chat when I get back from school. Those of you who don't have my skype on my team, could you please give yours to me? I'm sarasakat on skype.

19. ISO #19

You said if the King wins they gain 1000 points. Are the 500 points that are used for the rest of the team come from that or is the 500 in addition to the King already getting 1000?

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by Vantas View Post
    You said if the King wins they gain 1000 points. Are the 500 points that are used for the rest of the team come from that or is the 500 in addition to the King already getting 1000?
    You can nag all 1000 points by yourself, or distribute 500 points between your team and leave yourself with remaining 500 bonus points.

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

If your pawn gets promoted to knight or bishop. you will gain only 250 points, or 500 points if you promote it into a rook.

I believe I already checked the FIDE rules when I made then for this test, so this question should be already answered.

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

The chat for our team's being made this afternoon once I get home from school. So I can add you when I make it, can you send me a contact request? I'm sarasakat on there.

26. ISO #26

Quote Originally Posted by powerofdeath View Post
    Both teams please invite me to your group chats. I need to figure out which teams seems more reliable. I will side with whoever I think would win. You can kick me out once I decided a team. If you do not invite me, I will join the other team and help them win.
    That is a nice proposition from someone who is only able to play as a pawn.

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28

That is a nice proposition from someone who is only able to play as a pawn.
    At least he's trying to make an educated decision. Though you have a point xD

29. ISO #29

30. ISO #30

A host shouldn't influence players' decisions.
    It's the information itself, not the person who said it that matters in this case.

31. ISO #31

Should PoD join a team, who's pawn would he take the place of, considering he needs control of one?

32. ISO #32

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34

35. ISO #35

I know its not illegal but its like a host posting in a SFM telling a player to recheck his fos.
    S-FM (or FM in general)=/=tower of the gods (puzzle game)

comparatively those are 2 separate things entirely.

Its no fun if a host cant mindfuck in a game he created where its technacly allowed, i understand the complaint but hes technacly in fair game.

36. ISO #36
    Euphoria

A chess trial? This is incredibly fine with me.

37. ISO #37

Anyone on my team who hasn't been added to the skype chat yet, please contact me! We're missing louiswill, Apache, and NoctiZ. The chat has been made so please get in contact as soon as possible! We need to discuss some things.

38. ISO #38

From what I've heard from my Marriland friends, these teams may be a little unbalanced. Nevertheless, I wish everyone luck in the coming endeavors.

I'm still missing a skype contact name for our fearless leader DanishPie and NocturneGale so that Team Astrid can be unified.
    Last edited by Glip; May 15th, 2014 at 12:47 PM.

39. ISO #39
    Cay

Quote Originally Posted by Glip View Post
    From what I've heard from my Marriland friends, these teams may be a little unbalanced. Nevertheless, I wish everyone luck in the coming endeavors.

I'm still missing a skype contact name for our fearless leader DanishPie so that Team Astrid can be unified.
    DanishPie's Skype is DanishPasta.

40. ISO #40

41. ISO #41

We accept Power of Death onto our team. He'll be the b pawn, taking the place of NumberTwo's pawn.

42. ISO #42

ok guys never heard of that game.
    but ima queen thats kinda nice, so, my pawns, go take out all of them enemy fuckers!
    my pawn follows the order: dx#d7
    checkmate i'd say (always wanted to say that) but we gonna kill the rest of them though, so we yield more points

vantas, aren't those master/grandmaster titles international?
    FM Stats: Town 8 wins of 12 Mafia 3 of 4 All 11 of 16 (69%)

Complete FM History: Click

43. ISO #43

Quote Originally Posted by Vantas View Post
    We accept Power of Death onto our team. He'll be the b pawn, taking the place of NumberTwo's pawn.
    I thought that was powerofdeath's decision alone? PoD, do you confirm that?

44. ISO #44

Quote Originally Posted by _Q2 View Post
    NocturneGale is most likely not able to access SC2 due to problems he has with the site on his computer/iPad, from what I remember him telling me. He asked about it in the Marriland ToG thread as well, so we might want to worm something out with that.
    I believe he was able to log in a Regular No. 10 back at the Room of Masks. The password still works for him, so if he can't create a new account on SC2, I will allow him to use Regular No. 10's account. Once he logs in, he can change avatar and personal info as he likes, or ask me to change it.

45. ISO #45

I believe he was able to log in a Regular No. 10 back at the Room of Masks. The password still works for him, so if he can't create a new account on SC2, I will allow him to use Regular No. 10's account. Once he logs in, he can change avatar and personal info as he likes, or ask me to change it.
    I should be able to get an upper staff member to change the name as well, if need be.

46. ISO #46

Quote Originally Posted by Glip View Post
    I should be able to get an upper staff member to change the name as well, if need be.
    We don't need that right now. I still have some plans for those anonymous accounts, so Regular No. 10's name should stay unchanged.

47. ISO #47

48. ISO #48

Quote Originally Posted by Tonex View Post
    About the game mechanics, does the "moves being unable to taken back" mean that if our team decided on a terrible move, as long as I submit an action before them, no one else can undo it? Also, is it possible to give away my test points other than to people with negative points?
    The first person in the team who submits his move to me in this thread will then give the turn to opposing team. So yeah, it's possible for things like this to happen.

49. ISO #49

As I previously said, the current match will be on timer. The timer for White team will start as soon as the game starts, so don't snooze off on your very first turn!

And one more thing. I created my own account on Skype, with the name "frags.bunny". Both groups can add me to their contact lists. I would like to see their team chats.
    Last edited by Fragos; May 16th, 2014 at 11:13 AM.

50. ISO #50