Are apple mac pro notebook......
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Are apple mac pro notebook......

Are macbook pro airport cards easy to replace? I found a macbook this guy is selling , it's worth about 1599 on amazon .... he's selling it for 575. but he says the wifi airport card is broke , here's a quote from ad:

" Macbook Air 13" i5 1.8 8gb Ram 256 SSD

Excellent performance out of this machine. I used this as my HD and 4K editing machine for several years. Yes, this will edit 4k in Final Cut Pro.

It does have one small issue, Wifi which is easily fixable and only requires a $11 dollar part from amazon (Wifi card)

However, I have a solution that I have been using for a few months, in a minuscule little USB wifi dongle.

I haven't had the time to purchase the little airport card, and frankly the USB wifi works just fine for my needs.

This is a super loaded machine with 8gb ram and 256gb drive. The battery is great, screen is awesome and the only wear are some scuffs on the bottom of the unit, a small little ding and a small scuff on top. "

what do you guys think?? is it easy to replace? Or could I just use a USB wifi thing?? (and get same speed?)
    people once said that Firebringer played legit for example

2. ISO #2

Re: Are apple mac pro notebook......

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...placement/6360

Doesn't look like too horrible of a fix, and the USB thing works for him I guess.

The bit about 4K editing sounds like bullshit to me. I'm sure you CAN edit 4K video on it, but I hate to think what render times would be, especially with an i5. My MBP is older but more powerful in terms of processing power, and it's still not a great editing machine.

What do you plan to use it for?

3. ISO #3

>buying a mac
    >buying a used mac
    I love oops

Spoiler : :

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▒▁▁▁▁▁▒▒░░░▒░░░░░░▒░░░░░▒░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▁▐█▁▐░▒▒▁▐█▁░░░
    ▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▌░░░░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▀▀░░░░▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄██▓▓▌▀░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▄▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▄▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Lysergic View Post
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...placement/6360

Doesn't look like too horrible of a fix, and the USB thing works for him I guess.

The bit about 4K editing sounds like bullshit to me. I'm sure you CAN edit 4K video on it, but I hate to think what render times would be, especially with an i5. My MBP is older but more powerful in terms of processing power, and it's still not a great editing machine.

What do you plan to use it for?
    playing some games like heros of the storm, starcraft 2, etc, watching movies stuff like that .. I don't like windows anymore tbh soo ya
    people once said that Firebringer played legit for example

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
    playing some games like heros of the storm, starcraft 2, etc, watching movies stuff like that .. I don't like windows anymore tbh soo ya
    If you want to play games, I would recommend against a Macbook Pro or any Apple laptops, especially if you are not certain which model you are buying and what the hardware inside of it is. Older Macbook Pros could come without a GPU, relying on the processor's integrated graphics; you could pay extra to get the graphics card, but it wasn't a sure thing. Even if you get one with a discrete GPU, you're still not going to get great performance out of games. You'd be better off spending that money on an equivalent Windows laptop, or just getting/building a desktop. Macs are great for certain things, but not for gaming - doubly so for their laptops.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

If you want to play games, I would recommend against a Macbook Pro or any Apple laptops, especially if you are not certain which model you are buying and what the hardware inside of it is. Older Macbook Pros could come without a GPU, relying on the processor's integrated graphics; you could pay extra to get the graphics card, but it wasn't a sure thing. Even if you get one with a discrete GPU, you're still not going to get great performance out of games. You'd be better off spending that money on an equivalent Windows laptop, or just getting/building a desktop. Macs are great for certain things, but not for gaming - doubly so for their laptops.
    Agree with this. If there isn't a discrete graphics card in the laptop, game performance is going to be very poor. You'd also have to pay a massive premium to get an Apple laptop with the same specs as a Windows laptop would have. For gaming, you'd probably want an i5 (or even an i7), a discrete graphics card, an SSD, good amount of RAM, etc. On an Apple laptop, we're talking easily over $2,000 for that.

8. ISO #8

Yeah a 13 inch Macbook Air with an i5 1.8GHz would be the Mid-2012 model.

With that computer, you only have the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 which will be absolutely shitty for gaming of any sort.

And if this guy honestly claims to have done 4K video editing on a 3 year old Macbook Air, he's either delusional or trying to scam you.

For comparisons sake, I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with an i7 and a discrete GPU. I can run SC2 at all the lowest possible settings, but my computer nearly shits itself in the process and I run the risk of burns if I try to actually use my laptop on my lap. If you are indeed looking at a 13 inch Macbook Air, I highly doubt you could run SC2 at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessB View Post
    Agree with this. If there isn't a discrete graphics card in the laptop, game performance is going to be very poor. You'd also have to pay a massive premium to get an Apple laptop with the same specs as a Windows laptop would have. For gaming, you'd probably want an i5 (or even an i7), a discrete graphics card, an SSD, good amount of RAM, etc. On an Apple laptop, we're talking easily over $2,000 for that.
    The idea of doing 4K playback with an i5 makes me laugh so hard.

Also do note that he's talking about getting one used for 500 bucks, but still.

9. ISO #9

dude just save up more money and build a pc
    I love oops

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▒▁▁▁▁▁▒▒░░░▒░░░░░░▒░░░░░▒░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▁▐█▁▐░▒▒▁▐█▁░░░
    ▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▌░░░░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▀▀░░░░▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄██▓▓▌▀░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▄▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▄▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

Yeah a 13 inch Macbook Air with an i5 1.8GHz would be the Mid-2012 model.

With that computer, you only have the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 which will be absolutely shitty for gaming of any sort.

And if this guy honestly claims to have done 4K video editing on a 3 year old Macbook Air, he's either delusional or trying to scam you.

For comparisons sake, I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro with an i7 and a discrete GPU. I can run SC2 at all the lowest possible settings, but my computer nearly shits itself in the process and I run the risk of burns if I try to actually use my laptop on my lap. If you are indeed looking at a 13 inch Macbook Air, I highly doubt you could run SC2 at all.

The idea of doing 4K playback with an i5 makes me laugh so hard.

Also do note that he's talking about getting one used for 500 bucks, but still.
    Yeah, integrated graphics = dealbreaker for gaming. Also, keep in mind that buying a used laptop is usually a bad idea because laptops are not nearly as durable as desktops. Having everything small means that it gets overheated much more easily, it's harder to replace broken parts, etc. You don't know how the owner has treated it or what problems will arise in those cases either. At least with a desktop, you can literally replace out the broken parts. Sure, you can try to do the same with a laptop, but it's going to be a lot more cumbersome / difficult / expensive.
    Last edited by DarknessB; November 1st, 2015 at 10:48 PM.

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Do not use a Macbook air for gaming, especially a three year old one. Unless it is hearthstone.

Actually Hearthstone might lag on it too.

The newer models with the Iris marketed integrated graphics aren't bad though, if I force my Macbook Pro to use Iris(pro) graphics, it tends to run sc2 medium at about 20-30fps, low at 40+.

To get a Macbook pro with discrete graphics, you're gonna have to fork out $2500+ USD.

If you want to game on Mac OS, you either need to be rich, or consider a hackintosh.
    Last edited by Mugy; November 2nd, 2015 at 12:35 PM.

FM XIV - Rapture : Denizen
    FM XV - Star Wars : Citizen
    FM XIV - FuzzyWuzzyTown : Doctor

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Mugy View Post
    Do not use a Macbook air for gaming, especially a three year old one. Unless it is hearthstone.

Actually Hearthstone might lag on it too.

The newer models with the Iris marketed integrated graphics aren't bad though, if I force my Macbook Pro to use Iris(pro) graphics, it tends to run sc2 medium at about 20-30fps, low at 40+.

To get a Macbook pro with discrete graphics, you're gonna have to fork out $2500+ USD.

If you want to game on Mac OS, you either need to be rich or consider a hackintosh.
    Hearthstone can lag on decent XP comps of 2010, so I'd say bad comparison.

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Get Windows.
    Master race PC. Intel Corei7, Alienware. Ultra setting on Crysis 3 (60 fps)
    If any reason it drop to 59 fps. I will throw it into garbage (LOL)

v)o.o)^
    A rare Yuki in ultimate form

Yukitaka Oni ~Tafkal Hit Squad Member~

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

Quote Originally Posted by RLVG View Post
    Ultra Setting on Crysis 3? Why does everyone always compare computer specs with Crysis?
    People usually getting mad because that game require powerful computer. Cry-tech really good at making game look like a real life but......because they use (advanced technology) so player need (advanced technology) to catch up with the game :P
    You should try that game because if you can play that game. That mean your computer can play 99% other game too, including call of duty ghost or something bigger......

v)o.o)^
    A rare Yuki in ultimate form

Yukitaka Oni ~Tafkal Hit Squad Member~

19. ISO #19

Quote Originally Posted by RLVG View Post
    Ultra Setting on Crysis 3? Why does everyone always compare computer specs with Crysis?
    Because the series is pretty much an interactive stress test for your hardware. As far as gameplay goes, all of the Crysis games are pretty mediocre. They do look good though.