From a setup balance PoV Varcron is very likely to genuinely be a Poisoner/Chemist.

I also think Varcron, regardless of role, very likely didn't submit any action due to the lack of a will.

I don't think Varcron ever fakeclaims as VT. Especially because that would again mean that we only have 2 power roles and one of them would be totally useless (ikarus). If Varcron did fakeclaim for some reason though and it was proven to be the case, Death would almost certainly have to be town for setup balance reasons - I think this is very unlikely to be the case though.

My theory is that Varcron didn't understand that Chemist is an extremely powerful role (possibly the single most powerful role on the list for the record), didn't understand what we meant when we said it was powerful and/or thought they would be redirected (you still shouldn't holster in that case but I get it) and chose to holster.

I don't think Varcron was tailored. I think if Varcron was a weaker role and tailored then ikarus is almost always a wolf (and may be claiming Varcron's original role) but the setup is again really weak on the TPR side ESPECIALLY for mafia to have such a powerful role in Tailor and I think the way Varcron acted suited their flipped role (I was very concerned D1 that Varcron was chemist and outed but I didn't know for certain. Chemist does fit in this setup extremely well from a balance PoV though).