In general player improvement is a self-maximizing process. Effort is taken until the point the objective is achieved and 'improvement' is done through the lens of extensive Memory Distortions https://courses.lumenlearning.com/bo...y-distortions/ creating massive bias in how a player sees what they did well/poorly. Then players tell themselves something, usuially basic like 'I shouldn't fall for X next game', 'I knew I was right here and should use that tell more' or at worst 'Other players should learn to listen to me next time.' Then the next game gets played with these unfounded lessons built from biased information.

I personally feel this is terrible and the thing that cripples most players growth. This leads me into why I push for re-reading games. In doing so you will see your reads as they unfold. What you got right and what you got wrong without memory bias. You also will be able to see what you did that resulted in other players reading you without the bias of questioning if they were scum painting you as well as the things other players did that you should have picked up on.

With that information gathered without the unavoidable lens of memory distortions you can draw more objective conclusions about what you did well, what you did poorly, and what you should do different in the future. This also enables you to target what you did poorly so you know what to focus on for improvement (because the first step to solving a problem is identifying the problem.)

Then next game you play you have some ability to measure your improvement establishing a recursive process for player growth that will be far more effective than blundering through games and teaching yourself bad habits along the way.

In my opinion anyways : )