Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
Im not sure why you are so caught up in American politics for current day or from a hundred years ago but I will say I think your life would probably be better off without the toxicity that it breeds.

I dislike how American politics has become so global recently and theres this toxic stigma attached to having some beliefs. Just supporting an event is seen as support for a political party and theres a huge push to say anything republican = evil.
I hate this insistence that American politics are isolated in a bubble, it's such a disingenuous way of shutting down discourse on issues that affect people in their day-to-day lives. America is a major world power, American politics influence global economics and stability. If America goes tits-up because you lot couldn't get your shit together then that hurts my home country and family economically, and in the worst case could affect us even more directly if any sort of conflict spills over. Not to mention the omnipresence of Americans on all sorts of social media and the internet resulting in the exporting of pathological elements of American culture to the rest of the world, resulting in the rise of the alt-right and extremist groups (and also BLM and antifa if you're insistent on both-sidesing this) worldwide, though not entirely attributed to America it is something that was a result of American sentiment and problems spilling over. American interference in the middle east results in conflict that results in conflict and refugee crises in Europe. It was American economic mismanagement that led to the economic crisis of 2008. Americans flexed political power to drag other countries into wars, such as the UK and Canada. Your government shitting the bed on COVID resulted in plague rats spreading the virus to my home country (where the first cases came from America), and an ongoing fight to keep the borders closed. Not to mention Americans continuing to flout the rules by illegally entering and continuing to spread disease.

So no, fuck off with the "American politics shouldn't be other people's concerns" excuse. They are.

I'm curious to see what your "other option" is, and why it's so uniquely incompatible with any party that you reject all of them. I think you said before that you like Bernie Sanders, you realize that Bernie also recognizes that people should vote for Biden in this election as the lesser of two evils and with the goal of pushing the Democrat agenda closer to his own vision for America, right?

The reason people accuse you of being a Republican or conservative is because all I've seen from you so far is a huge amount of concern trolling about the American left and liberals, and not a single admonishment against the right, even in the context of the start of this thread where your response to Trump refusing to say whether he'll accept the results of the election was "well hmm maybe the left won't either so really they're both bad". I don't think I've ever seen you criticize American conservatives, or Republicans, without footnoting it with a statement about how the "other side" is bad too. At best you bust out the "why does it matter, it doesn't affect my day-to-day life, etc." argument.