Add a character limit to names. Regardless of points.
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Exclamation Add a character limit to names. Regardless of points.

All trolling aside please.

There is absolutely no purpose of having a name that is so damn log that we can't even read what you he/she is typing, and I am personally tired of having to open the chat log everytime he/she speaks.

The only purpose to have a name that long is to troll and ruin the experience.

I haven't done an official character count, but there should be a limit of 35-40 characters. That is still plenty long to fit all the silly names and phrases in without be a burden to the poor chat box that doesn't feature word wrap or having your name cut off on the list to the bottom right becuase there must be room for the vote and action buttons.

2. ISO #2

Re: Add a character limit to names. Regardless of points.

The only issue is that a limit like that stops the ability to make a multicolored name...it would count the color coding I believe(unless theres string search functions that would allow you to remove the font styling before you do a character count...but I wouldn't know..)
    Last edited by Apocist; July 4th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Look what you have caused. Seems like everyone who posted is now confused about their own gender and are venting their frustration into opinions.

3. ISO #3

Yes, exactly.
    Adding the color codes with exceed 20 characters every time. So, therefore, they must be removed. However, removing this limit allows for people to make extremely long and obnoxious names; it should just be punishable to have really long names and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Glip View Post
    If only there was some way to make the game disregard HTML coding when counting characters in the name. That way, you could impose a limit on name length while still allowing people to make colored names.
    I suggested something like that could do this. But I am technically ignorant, so thought of is impossibru D:

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    If only you could said a character variable to a string to assign colors >.>
    Actually Blazer..thats a great idea..I honestly have no clue what kinda code engine SC2 uses...but if you make a parsing function to replace 'color' variables for the html code, it could work.

Like switch &r with red, &p with purple..ect...course that could limit the array of colors to work with..

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Look what you have caused. Seems like everyone who posted is now confused about their own gender and are venting their frustration into opinions.

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Apocist View Post
    Actually Blazer..thats a great idea..I honestly have no clue what kinda code engine SC2 uses...but if you make a parsing function to replace 'color' variables for the html code, it could work.

Like switch &r with red, &p with purple..ect...course that could limit the array of colors to work with..
    If the coding allows for it, it would be awesome....I'm not sure which one it uses either. (Not to mention I have limited knowledge of coding as well. Just dabbling in C a bit for class ^^) There would be a lot of variables to set if you want every color....however you could still get quite a few if not all over time. I guess you could assign the first part of the color command for HTML to their respective character (Like the &r to <c val=######> and then &x or something to </c> so you can then make pairs for multiple colors or something. Not sure exactly how to implement of if possible, but I'm glad it got you thinking of something ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusco View Post
    Dirty fucking swiss neutral

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

Quote Originally Posted by Azire View Post
    My best suggestion is, get over it. It's a game, don't be so serious.
    Then let's get over hacking too, because both long character names and hacking affect the game experience negatively, so if we should get over one let's get over the other.

If the name is long enough it can take up all the space in the Graveyard which means tediously monitoring the Log in order to compile any information.

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidator View Post
    I have a new thought that no one here has thought of up until this post right now: Who cares?
    Well good sir, I care.

Long names do absolutely nothing but ruin the chat experience and as mentioned above, the garveyard information, and I don't want to scroll through a never ending chat log to get information I should be able to access instantly.

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorblaze View Post
    Actually they don't even ruin the graveyard info anymore, in case no one has noticed they don't wrap around if your name exceeds the 1 line length on the graveyard, it just puts the role on the second line now.
    Upgrades
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusco View Post
    Dirty fucking swiss neutral

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorblaze View Post
    Actually they don't even ruin the graveyard info anymore, in case no one has noticed they don't wrap around if your name exceeds the 1 line length on the graveyard, it just puts the role on the second line now.
    How recently? I think you might be thinking of unbroken names, like if someone just had WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I've seen names like this only take up one line. But I've seen people that space it out and break up their name, and that game must've only been like a week or two ago, and he took up about 90% of the graveyard.

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMan View Post
    How recently? I think you might be thinking of unbroken names, like if someone just had WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I've seen names like this only take up one line. But I've seen people that space it out and break up their name, and that game must've only been like a week or two ago, and he took up about 90% of the graveyard.
    Yeah, what he said.
    If there is a space it goes to other lines.

23. ISO #23

Hi!

Ok, opinions seem to diverge here as to whether this is annoying or not. And the main argument went: "We should keep long names because otherwise we have to kiss colored names goodbye."

My question is: Why would it be so difficult to make a counting system for characters? It would almost be trivial to do. The "color code" can be recognised as something akin to a regular expression (it follows the same pattern, so a whole colored letter could be counted as ONE character). Everything else will simply be counted as multiple characters together, and voila. Both problems solved.

Cheers

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

26. ISO #26

27. ISO #27