How much toxicity is an offence?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

How much toxicity is an offence?

I am wondering how much toxicity is like a borderline for a punishment? As you know, many people are upset and insulting each other because of dumb decision by other player, trolling or game-throwing.

So I am just wondering what kind of words or insults someone needs to say in order to be punished?

2. ISO #2

Re: How much toxicity is an offence?

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard's In-Game Code of Conduct
    Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.
    We are more lax on people calling each other idiots, morons, etc because in a game where critical thinking is key we all have moments where we are genuine morons. It would be nice if people could control their emotions and be decent to each other, but I understand in the moment we all do/say things we normally wouldn't. That understanding has no room for people that take it too far though. Racism, bigotry, homphobia, etc are not welcome at all.

It's situational though. If someone is hounding someone else with "light" insults it starts to become griefing territory.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Tauntshaman View Post
    Maybe people love toxicity and so they choose to play this game?
    Maybe people hate toxicity and so they choose to leave this game?

That being said, to answer your first comment : there aren't many unique players who have been permanently banned for toxicity.
    To get a better idea about what's going on, I recommend having a look at this statistical study made by @Lumi : A Statistical Analysis of Racism Across 10K+ Replays
    Although the title only refers to racism, the analysis considers slurs in general.
    I recommend everyone to take a look at it whenever you can.
    Here is an extract that should either answer your concerns, or raise new ones, depending on how you currently see the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
    Preliminary Observations

• 90.95% of players never used a slur across all of their games
    • 96.11% of players never used a slur in more than one game
    • The top 1.89% of players based on number of slurs used contribute 89.20% of all slurs used

Quote Originally Posted by Efekannn02 View Post
    MM Magoroth and Distorted are the 3 baddies
    just like Agrael Acriel and Auwt being the original 3 baddies
    MafiaZ and Skwirl its all a repeat of history
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRevenant View Post
    But Potoss has Pobes, Zeelot, and Acrons!
    Screw you I actually have more grudges towards the people who have their names start with A

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by Auwt View Post
    Maybe people hate toxicity and so they choose to leave this game?

That being said, to answer your first comment : there aren't many unique players who have been permanently banned for toxicity.
    To get a better idea about what's going on, I recommend having a look at this statistical study made by @Lumi : A Statistical Analysis of Racism Across 10K+ Replays
    Although the title only refers to racism, the analysis considers slurs in general.
    I recommend everyone to take a look at it whenever you can.
    Here is an extract that should either answer your concerns, or raise new ones, depending on how you currently see the situation.
    Damn if I saw this post in 2021 maybe I can make a master thesis out of it

Also the stats are presented in a misleading way though,
    Although The top 1.89% of players based on number of slurs used contribute 89.20% of all slurs used, meaning that the top 1.89% of players, on average, used 428.7 times more slur than the rest, it should be noted that the bottom 98.11% of players by games played played 4.6 games on average.
    If we assume that the top 1.89% players (298 people) played 460 games on average, and that the amount of games played has an 1.00 correlation with slurs used, that would make the top 1.89% of players, by slurs used, only using ~4.3 times the slur used by the rest of the players on average per game, which isn't a very large number
    Last edited by Tauntshaman; December 8th, 2023 at 07:21 PM.
    the Jester Leader