• vaccine

16 72.73%
  • no

6 27.27%

Hybrid View

1. ISO #1

Re: covid 19 vaccine

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I believe the strongest correlated factor with lower reproductive rates is education although its been a few years sense I dug into the subject. As for being very very far from overpopulation being an issue that really depends on how you look at things. If our existence is a few hundred thousands of years looking at the population explosion over the last 100 years is batshit crazy. We may have made more people in that 100 years than had existed in the rest of our time combined.

At the end of the day we have this one planet. Maybe we can figure out how to leave it and colonize somewhere else but were not taking 10 billion people to that new planet. A tiny amount will go and everyone else will be left behind. The rate we are consuming our natural resources is absolutely unsustainable and we can only say we are far off from it being an issue if we look through the lens of our individual life span.

What will be an issue first will be reduction in quality of life. We got a tiny taste of that with the supply chain being hit recently.
    I firmly believe that economic pressure is more of the main reason for the decline rather than education or healthcare. So you're right about the quality of life thingy. I'm fine right now to start a family but the resources that were supposed to be mine will be re-allocated to others needs. Unless you are talking about the conservative people or religious freaks who do not accept or have sex education in developing countries though.

Every country in the world is at stage 3-4 of the demographic transition. Most are already stabilized aside from Africa. It is presumed that the world population would stabilize around 10 billion~ so I don't worry a single bit about the earth as a whole getting overpopulated. What I'm worried about is how some countries' social security is designed like a Ponzi Scheme; the old generation reaps the retirement income benefits, while the younger generation pays for it. But with declining birth rates and increasing retiree rates... this burden falls upon the younger generation. Hence, they have to pay more.

Deeping deeper here. We're talking about the population as "global", but the pop density per country vary. That's why we are currently having a crisis caused by "overpopulation" to some countries.

Water shortages: Becoming a problem in some countries (not you Canada)... say in Baja Cal Mexico. But not so deep that people would die from dehydration. We don't want a repeat of the Cape Town water crisis lol.

Increase water prices to force people to conserve. I personally think this is the only way for some. Salination is inefficient and expensive. Anything that could improve distribution like piping is also cool. In any case. We are using more water than nature to recycle your pee (fuck treatment plants! its always nature! and dolphins)

Meat shortages: Also a thing. With other nations developing (say China). They're adapting to another diet (Western meat yummy yummy) thus increasing demands for meat that it's becoming unsustainable. Good video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqGI3iMX_co

Improve and accept plant-based (still yuck) meat and/or cell-based (more hopeful in these) lab-grown meat. Or reduce meat intake overall. This solution also helps with our problems with CO2 emissions (those damn farts) and water crisis (animal/dairy industry uses a lot).

Antibiotics Resistances: Caused by overpopulation too. Used extensively in animal agriculture.

Reduce this and that and so on... Cause and effect.

Limited resources: Coal (Magnolia says we have a lot of it..) Oil (Oh the arabs says this shit will ran out after a few decades. But the Ruskis in the Urals may veto this statement thanks to climate change) Nat Gas (Gonna take long to diminish.. China currently building pipelines to Iran yippie).

Solution: Elon Musk and/or Ernest Rutherford

IoT: Yeah just gonna add this. In case yall don't know. We ran out of ipv4 addresses long ago. But we're transitioning shits with ipv6 yippie. Overpopulation plays a role but this is actually about the huge increase in average device per household.

And all of these problems are caused by overpopulation yeppp. There are long term problems. But humanity is going to fix this, and we'll survive

Oh yeah.. Not being a know it all, that's just my personal view and I'm sure there's a flaw on my statements.

2. ISO #2

Re: covid 19 vaccine

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    Not really. Herd immunity has been accomplished for much more contagious viruses like measles and polio. It was done so through childhood vaccinations and vaccination mandates in the way of restricting public access to unvaccinated people.
    I have not done much research on the subject but when celebrating my mothers birthday recently I had a decent conversation with her about the vaccines. One of the largest issues is that they only 'last' for about a year. This effectively means you would need to both vaccinate 80-95% of the population within that time frame as well as effectively screen incoming and outgoing tourism and immigration. Im not going to say thats impossible but I do not think its viable in a world where the publics trust has been so terribly abused nobody knows what to believe. I personally think that COVID is here to stay but time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by NotPaopan View Post
    I firmly believe that economic pressure is more of the main reason for the decline rather than education or healthcare. So you're right about the quality of life thingy. I'm fine right now to start a family but the resources that were supposed to be mine will be re-allocated to others needs. Unless you are talking about the conservative people or religious freaks who do not accept or have sex education in developing countries though.

Every country in the world is at stage 3-4 of the demographic transition. Most are already stabilized aside from Africa. It is presumed that the world population would stabilize around 10 billion~ so I don't worry a single bit about the earth as a whole getting overpopulated.
    That was not my openion. Years back I had a conversation (I think on this forum) on global population growth which led me to diving into a bunch of projections from some section of the UN on global population rates and somewhere along the line I found multiple studies that all put education as the strongest correlated factor with reproduction. That the more educated the person the less kids they bang out. You make enough interesting points I would spend the time to try to figure out where I got the information from if it matters to you but its likely you have touched on the material given some of the points you are making.

What I'm worried about is how some countries' social security is designed like a Ponzi Scheme; the old generation reaps the retirement income benefits, while the younger generation pays for it. But with declining birth rates and increasing retiree rates... this burden falls upon the younger generation. Hence, they have to pay more.
    I would take this a few steps further and apply it to many structures within many society's but its fair to say I absolutely agree with you and the points I would make would derail the conversation.

Deeping deeper here. We're talking about the population as "global", but the pop density per country vary. That's why we are currently having a crisis caused by "overpopulation" to some countries.

Water shortages: Becoming a problem in some countries (not you Canada)... say in Baja Cal Mexico. But not so deep that people would die from dehydration. We don't want a repeat of the Cape Town water crisis lol.

Increase water prices to force people to conserve. I personally think this is the only way for some. Salination is inefficient and expensive. Anything that could improve distribution like piping is also cool. In any case. We are using more water than nature to recycle your pee (fuck treatment plants! its always nature! and dolphins)

Meat shortages: Also a thing. With other nations developing (say China). They're adapting to another diet (Western meat yummy yummy) thus increasing demands for meat that it's becoming unsustainable. Good video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqGI3iMX_co

Improve and accept plant-based (still yuck) meat and/or cell-based (more hopeful in these) lab-grown meat. Or reduce meat intake overall. This solution also helps with our problems with CO2 emissions (those damn farts) and water crisis (animal/dairy industry uses a lot).
    Again I agree with you but I do feel this underscores my point that prior to a point of collapse quality of life suffers. People do not recognize the massive buffer we have with the huge water expenditure to grow grass but at the same time given human nature its likely the masses will have to start taking speed showers before the rich stop watering their lawns. Lab grown meat fascinates the hell out me though. The connection between deforestation and the meat shortage is something I am more concerned with though. Although increases in C02 will increase plant growth the moment the scale tips and we consume more oxygen as a planet than we create that road is going to get ugly. I hope I am wrong in my assumption that it will be how population is finally controlled.

Antibiotics Resistances: Caused by overpopulation too. Used extensively in animal agriculture.

Reduce this and that and so on... Cause and effect.
    Kinda one of those counterintuitive positions I take but I feel like accelerationism is more appropriate here. As a species we only address issues when dramatic impacts happen so slowing the decline of something essentially prevents it from being addressed. I could ramble about the political and social theory associated with that position but I do feel that the best way to tear down a concept is to support it with flawed reasoning simply because it destroys credibility. On a macro scale the utilitarianist must accept accelerating detrimental issues to limit human suffering on scale.

Limited resources: Coal (Magnolia says we have a lot of it..) Oil (Oh the arabs says this shit will ran out after a few decades. But the Ruskis in the Urals may veto this statement thanks to climate change) Nat Gas (Gonna take long to diminish.. China currently building pipelines to Iran yippie).

Solution: Elon Musk and/or Ernest Rutherford
    I have found most 'green energy' solutions to be marketing for profit. Its kinda funny when you break down the life span of solar panels and battery's and the carbon footprint of manufacturing and installing them vs burning fossil fuels.

At the same time though we create new ways of accomplishing goals as the current ways become less viable. I doubt anyone is afraid of running out of coal right now but that is in part because we discovered oil and natural gas. I am much more concerned about water, oxygen and food. Even watching how our society handles short term shortages of products with panic buying and secondary market price gouging spells trouble for the future. There is much more on the macro side of intellectual property and large assets that I believe will be a problem in the next 20 years but again, would derail the conversation.