TRUMP TEARS THREAD
Register

User Tag List

Hybrid View

1. ISO #1

Re: TRUMP TEARS THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    How are they identical?
    On a fundamental level they push cosmetic solutions while preserving systemic problems. They both leverage suffering to gain power under the guise of 'change.' But then if you give them 4-8 years we have the exact same issues.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

2. ISO #2

Re: TRUMP TEARS THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    On a fundamental level they push cosmetic solutions while preserving systemic problems. They both leverage suffering to gain power under the guise of 'change.' But then if you give them 4-8 years we have the exact same issues.
    For the record I do believe the Republican Party lost its 'ideology' so to speak at some point. The great conservative George W. Bush left almost as many regulations in place by the time he left office as there were when he got elected: the Federal Register had ~83,000 pages when he got elected, and ~80,000 when he left office. In contrast, Trump reduced the size of the Federal Register by at least 25,000 pages between 2016 and 2019.

In addition, at a debate (I believe it was during the Republican Primaries in 2015) between Republican candidates one of them mentioned increasing minimum wage as a campaign policy; I don't remember who (I believe it was Trump, although I may be mistaken) who shut down the proposal, stating that America was not built on minimum wage.

If you look at the Federal Register in general, there's a pattern where during the times when a Democrat was President, the Federal Register increased in size (I believe Harry Truman's presidency is the sole exception). In contrast, look at Ronald Reagan and Trump. They both reduced the size of the Register while in power.

Of course, you still have Republicans like Nixon and Eisenhower (Eisenhower actually continued the New Deal) who actually increased the size of the register.