[Abandoned] Magician’s Circle: Covid Corner (9P)
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Arrow Magician’s Circle: Covid Corner (9P)

Magician’s Circle: Covid Corner
    Mini S-FM

Covid Canceler - 1 Starting
    Covid Carrier - 1 Starting
    Healthy Subject - 7 Starting
    Diseased Subject - 0 Starting

The Scientists have brought 9 Subjects to the Corner of the Wall. They know that one of them have Covid and will keep killing off people one by one until the Covid is gone or everyone left alive is all contaminated with Covid.
    There are 2 Phases. Intermission and Voting.
    You may talk in both phases
    Intermission Phase lasts 24 Hours and Voting Phase lasts 48 Hours.
    The game begins at Voting Phase.
    Each Voting Phase Players May talk Amount each other and they must vote for a player to eliminate. The only except is Day 1, as Day 1 execution isn’t mandatory but the other days are.
    During intermission phase, every player must choose a player to visit other then themselves. This is mandatory!
    The Covid Canceler is immune to the Covid Virus and will not become Diseased if they visited the Covid Carrier.
    If the Covid Canceler visits a Diseased Subject, they get become Healthy again.
    The Covid Carrier turns a Healthy Subject into a Diseased Subject if they visits them or they are visited by one. If the Covid Carrier is visited by a Healthy Subject or The Covid Canceler the Covid Carrier will die.
    The Covid Carrier is different then a Diseased Subject.
    A Diseased Subject will also spread the Diseased upon each visit.
    A Diseased Subject will not be informed they are Diseased.
    The game ends if everyone alive is Diseased or everyone alive is Healthy.
    nonetheless everyone alive at the end wins and anyone who also shared either Healthy/Diseased (whichever Won)
    Covid Carrier is considered Diseased and Covid Canceler is Considered Healthy.
    Basic Forum Rules apply, no other rules in place.
    Last edited by Dark Magician; September 19th, 2020 at 11:16 PM.

2. ISO #2

Re: Magician’s Circle: Covid Corner (9P)

Review in progress.

Please follow the template you can find here for your setup. There should be clearly defined win conditions for all players in their own section, full rolecards (under the form of rolecards) in their own section, rules, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

3. ISO #3

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Review in progress.

Please follow the template you can find here for your setup. There should be clearly defined win conditions for all players in their own section, full rolecards (under the form of rolecards) in their own section, rules, etc.
    It’s not really a Rolecard thing.
    I got all the information now though.

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magician View Post
    It’s not really a Rolecard thing.
    I got all the information now though.
    Well, you are going to PM each player with their role and what it does, right? That implies there will be rolecards, and writing them here makes the setup more understandable for everyone; plus, it's not wasted time since you'll have to PM them to the players anyway.

Phase lenghts are lacking.
    Can people talk in the thread during the Intermission phase, or is it like a standard night? Please specify.

It looks like the objective of the game for the majority of players (healthy subjects) is extremely unstable and changes drastically depending on lynch results. Do you think there is a way to stabilize the setup without killing its spirit?
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Well, you are going to PM each player with their role and what it does, right? That implies there will be rolecards, and writing them here makes the setup more understandable for everyone; plus, it's not wasted time since you'll have to PM them to the players anyway.

Phase lenghts are lacking.
    Can people talk in the thread during the Intermission phase, or is it like a standard night? Please specify.

It looks like the objective of the game for the majority of players (healthy subjects) is extremely unstable and changes drastically depending on lynch results. Do you think there is a way to stabilize the setup without killing its spirit?
    I’d just be sending to them if they are Healthy, Covid Carrier or Covid Canceler.
    That’s it, not full on Rolecard.
    Added Lengths and more Phase Info.
    Not sure what you mean by the last part. The game is stable.

6. ISO #6

I thought I would share my input, even though I'm not someone who's supposed to be reviewing the setup.

The idea looks interesting, but to be honest, with the points I make below, it seems rather very scum-sided unless the town just get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magician View Post
    The Covid Carrier turns a Healthy Subject into a Diseased Subject if they visits them or they are visited by one. If the Covid Carrier is visited by a Healthy Subject or The Covid Canceler the Covid Carrier will die.
    A Diseased Subject will also spread the Diseased upon each visit.
    A Diseased Subject will not be informed they are Diseased.
    The game ends if everyone alive is Diseased or everyone alive is Healthy.
    nonetheless everyone alive at the end wins and anyone who also shared either Healthy/Diseased (whichever Won)
    So, let me get this straight, if a Healthy Subject visits the Covid Carrier, the Carrier will die but the Health Subject will become diseased?

Considering that there appears to be no limit to the amount of Diseased subjects that can exist at one time, this appears to out-right state that if the Covid Carrier + 2 Disease exist, it'll be impossible for the Healthy and the Covid Canceller to win (while staying healthy) because the lynch/elimination + the Covid Canceller check on the Covid Carrier during intermission won't be enough to prevent (what would then be) 3 conversions per night/intermission unless the Diseased or Carrier targeted the same people.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the majority just (almost) mechanically lose by night/intermission 2 provided no deaths of the Diseased or Covid Carrier by then. And if the Canceller dies before then, town have practically lost at that point because the (at least) 1 conversion per intermission/night would be matched by the 1 elimination per day phase, and that's assuming all the lynches/eliminations of the diseased were correct thereafter.

So, theoretically speaking, the healthy subjects could just single out the Covid Canceller and eliminate them and win when the Carrier infects them all?

By making people's win condition "Eliminate X or just survive to the end", people may just err on the side of caution and focus on having the town "survive" until they know who the Covid Canceller is. Its like having 1 mason leader (who can't recurit), 1 cultist, and a whole bunch of survivors who are convert-able but for some reason don't know that they were converted.

I do have one question that isn't answered in the setup: Do all intermission actions occur at the same time? Because if the Covid Carrier visited someone on night 1, while being visited by the Covid Canceller, the convert would still go off despite the Carrier's death. And, presuming my Teal question above is correct, if the Covid Carrier were to visit a Healthy subject night/intermission 1 as well as be visited by a health subject on night/intermission 1, then two conversions will occur despite the death.

Anyways, aside from all those points above, it seems it would be very difficult to catch scum without getting lucky simply because of mechanics such as "not knowing they were converted" and "Oh if you survive to the end you just win anyways unless you're the Canceller/Carrier". Everyone, I imagine, will be acting in very similar fashions amongst each other and it'll only be a matter of time before the town decides to go Covid Canceller hunting just because the Carrier or Diseased haven't died yet, and therefore the diseased would have an unstoppable path to majority (if not already).

However, the mandatory lynches/eliminations beyond day 1 are a positive factor in the town's favor. Though honestly without further explained or written down mechanics town will just get rolled unless they decide to, like, RNG lynch/eliminate and hope the Canceller find the Carrier on night/intermission 1 if the lynch/elimination doesn't find them.

Here are some ideas or suggestions, however it is entirely your setup so you may have better or more unique ideas:

-Have more than 1 Covid Canceller role.

-Maybe alter what the Covid Canceller does? Such as making their targets immune?

-Alter the win-conditions. I'm not sure of what this should be, depends on what else you change about the setup.

-Alternative idea, have the vote for elimination instead be a vote to "test" someone for COVID or cure them of it. Maybe there's some promise in a COVID-themed setup based on that?

Keep in mind these are just IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS.
    Last edited by MartinGG99; September 19th, 2020 at 07:08 PM.
    A.K.A "That One Idiot"

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

Nice analysis from Martin; this reflects a lot of my thoughts on the setup. See the end of my post for more details.

To clarify my comment on the setup's instability, here's how the setup would currently be played:

Day 1: Everyone hunts for the Covid Carrier; if he gets lynched, the game ends and he loses as what basically is a solo cultist. Assuming this not so great but rather unlikely scenario doesn't happen, we carry on.

Day 2: Infection spreads, but the diseased subject(s) doesn't know he is diseased. However, since everyone knows there is very probably at least one new diseased player and that it will be extremely hard to stop the spread, everyone (outside of the Canceller) will "change sides". I could very well see everyone agreeing to visit two specific players, which the infecteds would visit on the same night, spreading COVID to half the town (one half stopped by the Canceller, the other half becomes sick).

Day 3: Too many players are sick for the infection to be stopped; the original "town" (healthy players) becomes "scum" and vice versa, hence why the objective of the game is completely different.
    There isn't really an incentive to remain healthy, and past D1, players could even be actively hunting the Canceller to win through mass contamination.

Other than that, the setup needs an OoO to specify what would happen in the event the Canceller and any Diseased player visit player A, and that another Healthy Subject visits Player A.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinGG99
    Anyways, aside from all those points above, it seems it would be very difficult to catch scum without getting lucky simply because of mechanics such as "not knowing they were converted" and "Oh if you survive to the end you just win anyways unless you're the Canceller/Carrier". Everyone, I imagine, will be acting in very similar fashions amongst each other and it'll only be a matter of time before the town decides to go Covid Canceller hunting just because the Carrier or Diseased haven't died yet, and therefore the diseased would have an unstoppable path to majority (if not already).
    This is exactly what I fear would happen. Having more Cancellers could fix the issue, since they can "heal" players back to healthiness; this would make the game more Mafia-oriented (majority vs minority).

~~

I'm not going to force you to do anything about it, but from a future player's point of view, I doubt there is much fun in being diseased and not knowing about it. It's literally a silent cult conversion. Do you agree? If so, do you see a way to fix this without destroying the setup's spirit?