Freedom of thought and speech vs morality - Page 11
Register

User Tag List

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: Freedom of thought and speech vs morality

Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    This is why I shouldn't read these threads. I just can't even right now.
    You are expressing a biased, partisan view of the situation and saying that someone should be jailed for expressing her view. This is no different from someone on the left expressing a biased, partisan view of Trumps tweet, saying that he should be jailed for expressing his view.

This isn't fuckin North Korea. It's America. We don't put people in jail for expressing their opinion, no matter how dangerous or immoral it may be. And if it happens, it's an injustice.
    A social media platform absolutely should be allowed to have a terms of service and be allowed to censor anything that they deem to have broken said terms of service. Don't like it? Don't use them. Boycott. Find a platform that allows your speech. That's the beauty of CAPITALISM

HOW can you say that a social media platform shouldn't be allowed to censor, but the government should be allowed to put people in JAIL based on what they say?? Thats the most ass backwards thinking I've ever seen. The 1st ammendment protects your speech from government retaliation. It does not dictate what corporations and companies decide to allow on their platforms. I thought conservatives were all about small government? Yet want the government to dictate to social media platforms how to operate?
    If I come to sc2mafia and vote in an ongoing game that I'm not signed up for, I'm gonna get banned

Oh noes muh free speech
    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    I also just find it really sus in general that you interpret "His advocacy of illegal, state-sponsored killing is horrific. Politicians who refuse to condemn it share responsibility for the consequences." as genuinely calling people to riot and loot, whereas Trump saying "Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts." is actually a misunderstood statement calling for peace.
    I donít think it was a misunderstood statement calling for peace. I just donít think it Ďglorifies violenceí. Whatís so horrific about taking a stand against protests/riots that have gotten out of hand? I think this dichotomy of a message thatís either calling for peace or glorifying violence is the wrong lens to be viewing this post through.

I think that basically what Trump said is this, and I think this is actually true because it explains his later post on how the secret service dealt with the rioters: you have to be strong - strong as in, show the minimal amount of force necessary to dissolve this riot. This, I think, is much closer to the jist of his message.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkskater View Post
    Polish my nuts and serve me a milkshake. Anyone who uses scum syntax will be lynched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    lmao he is the baby in your picture

I just want to say I did pick up on a dubious doublespeak of Trump after you pointed it out oops. After his spiel glorifying the actions of the Secret Service he offered a "MAGA night" at the white house. This to me is a blatant call to his base to take action. At face value it could be two things, counter protests or violent clashing. If the MAGA gang turn up and counter protest peacefully, yay democracy. However if things turn violent I wonder if Trump could be charged with incitement. I lean towards no because he can always claim they took it upon themselves to turn violent and that he only meant peaceful protesting.

I think that is a much more questionable tweet than the one he got flagged for, and nobody really seems to care about it. If you were to subscribe to a world where Trump is trying to incite violence, that Tweet should ring alarm bells.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    I don’t think it was a misunderstood statement calling for peace. I just don’t think it ‘glorifies violence’. What’s so horrific about taking a stand against protests/riots that have gotten out of hand? I think this dichotomy of a message that’s either calling for peace or glorifying violence is the wrong lens to be viewing this post through.
    Mate I just don't see how a rational person can look at Trump's history of repeatedly doing the exact same thing over and over where he says something that could be construed as violent/calling people to action, and then goes to the press and says "whoops that's not what I meant ha ha", and not see a person who's intentionally doing that to pander to a specific group of people.

Like do you think the man is such a fucking massive dumbass that he's incapable of speaking clearly? Pretend Elizabeth Warren had said "when the looting starts the shooting starts", would you be arguing the same thing in her favour? Like you're sitting around spouting conspiracy theories about how every Democrat is in cahoots and that CNN/the Democrats/the rioters all have ulterior secret motives and messages in everything they say but, without any evidence, you absolutely refuse to believe that the Republicans are doing the same lmao. Can you find me a Democrat politician who so consistently says ambiguous things that are considered questionable by a large number of people then goes back and says "oh wait just kidding lmaoo"

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    I just want to say I did pick up on a dubious doublespeak of Trump after you pointed it out oops. After his spiel glorifying the actions of the Secret Service he offered a "MAGA night" at the white house. This to me is a blatant call to his base to take action. At face value it could be two things, counter protests or violent clashing. If the MAGA gang turn up and counter protest peacefully, yay democracy. However if things turn violent I wonder if Trump could be charged with incitement. I lean towards no because he can always claim they took it upon themselves to turn violent and that he only meant peaceful protesting.

I think that is a much more questionable tweet than the one he got flagged for, and nobody really seems to care about it. If you were to subscribe to a world where Trump is trying to incite violence, that Tweet should ring alarm bells.
    Yeah holy shit I actually missed that tweet, it really does seem like some Kristallnacht shit. I wonder to what extent the Secret Service is under Trump's thumb, if things get violent would they be the type to leave the MAGA-types alone because the president ordered it? They're apparently chosen to be loyal to the president and the country, so who knows. If things get violent there, we'll truly see how much of a stride the country's made towards fascism based on those actions.

I donít think itís a conspiracy, they just happen to be on the same side of the fence lol.
    Polish my nuts and serve me a milkshake. Anyone who uses scum syntax will be lynched.

Quote Originally Posted by Sen View Post
    I think it's rather simple; I don't like pineapple pizza, so I can choose to never eat it, and to avoid gathering with those who eat it all day long, but I can't go from house to house shouting at people's faces so they stop eating it, invading pizza places and spitting on clients who are eating pineapple pizzas, demanding that people who like them can't live here, hiring some unskilled idiot instead of a way better candidate just because the latter eats pineapple pizza, suggesting that their houses should be taken and given to those who like "better" pizzas, or rallying others to attack them...

As long as you aren't hurting anyone nor inciting others to do it, you should be free to say and do whatever you want. Once you start messing with other people, that's when you don't get to be tolerated anymore as you are clearly unfit to live in a tolerant society.
    HEY.

I would like to remind everyone, or more specifically those who are repeatedly using ad hominems in this debate, the simple yet smart principle of tolerance. You're free to disagree with someone else, you're free to say it too, but you're not free to spit on clients who are eating pineapple pizzas. This thread was so pure and nice at its beginning, and the people who spit on pineapple pizza eaters are turning it into another one of those political shitfests on Internet. I am disappointed, and would like it to stop from all sides. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Hey peter View Post
    There are two wolves inside you. One is addicted to crack. The other one is also addicted to crack. You are addicted to crack.
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    Mallow are you really an anti vaxxer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    God is a goofy loser.

Dunno, I donít agree with that interpretation. Trump is just saying that you need to show strength to deter the rioters, in my opinion. ĎThey were cool, and if someone got frisky or [out of hand? paraphrasing]í, theyíd have at them. I donít think this is glorifying violence, especially since trump doesnít have a history of glorifying it as far as I can tell. Thatís just Trump telling people that standing by and letting rioters do what they want is not okay lol.

it could also pander to those who are actually violent, but I donít believe Trump was consciously trying to do so. I think he should be more careful about what he posts, however.

I read the MAGA tweet as just MAGA tweet. Certainly not tying it to the other post about the secret service.

Who is being homo erectus
    Trump?
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Hey peter View Post
    There are two wolves inside you. One is addicted to crack. The other one is also addicted to crack. You are addicted to crack.
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    Mallow are you really an anti vaxxer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    God is a goofy loser.

"“We put the young ones on the front line, sir, they love it, and good practice.”
    "...nobody came close to breaching the fence. If they had they would have been greeted with the most vicious dogs, and most ominous weapons, I have ever seen. That’s when people would have been really badly hurt, at least."

While I don't have a problem with this being interpreted as a threat, this is 100% glorifying violence. Yet, Twitter is silent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    I donít think this is glorifying violence, especially since trump doesnít have a history of glorifying it as far as I can tell.
    "If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment peopleómaybe there is, I donít know."

"Get him out, try not to hurt him. If you do, I'll defend you in court"

"If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, ok. Just knock the hell... I promise you I will pay for the legal fees. I promise."

"[referring to a Democrat protest] I woulda been out there fighting folks. I don't know if I would have done well but I would have been boom, boom, boom. I'll beat the crap out of you."

"[referring to a protester at one of his rallies] He should have been... maybe he should have been roughed up."

"[referring to another protester at one of his rallies] I'd like to punch him in the face I'll tell ya"

"[referring to Bernie Sanders having his mic taken away at a speech] That will never happen with me. I don't know if I'll do the fighting myself or if other people will."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...03147168071680

All Trump quotes. Thoughts on your statement now?

"...but whenever someone got too frisky or out of line, they would quickly come down on them, hard - didnít know what hit them."

That's the full message.

Ganelon the definition of glorify is basically - to honor with praise, admiration, or worship. I don't see how you can say that the Secret Service tweets are not glorifying violence.

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    "If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment peopleómaybe there is, I donít know."

"Get him out, try not to hurt him. If you do, I'll defend you in court"

"If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously, ok. Just knock the hell... I promise you I will pay for the legal fees. I promise."

"[referring to a Democrat protest] I woulda been out there fighting folks. I don't know if I would have done well but I would have been boom, boom, boom. I'll beat the crap out of you."

"[referring to a protester at one of his rallies] He should have been... maybe he should have been roughed up."

"[referring to another protester at one of his rallies] I'd like to punch him in the face I'll tell ya"

"[referring to Bernie Sanders having his mic taken away at a speech] That will never happen with me. I don't know if I'll do the fighting myself or if other people will."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...03147168071680

All Trump quotes. Thoughts on your statement now?
    Dunno, the bits about the protesters are dependent on context. The bit about Sanders sounds more like a joke, and even if itís not, it doesnít seem that bad to me, just again a message of being strong.

The Ďget him out, try not to hurt himí might be a violent message, but Iíd have to see the tweet and the context to really get an accurate picture.

I think he has a temper problem looking at those quotes you posted though.

"...but whenever someone got too frisky or out of line, they would quickly come down on them, hard - didnít know what hit them."

That's the full message.

Ganelon the definition of glorify is basically - to honor with praise, admiration, or worship. I don't see how you can say that the Secret Service tweets are not glorifying violence.
    Theyíre glorifying the secret service, not violence. Thatís one possible intepretation.

And Id still argue that the jist of the message is that you should be strong to overcome these protests, not to be violent in response. Although I can see why youíd say that the last post might be a call to violence or something. I do agree that if Twitter doesnít censor that tweet, theyíll have some explaining to do, especially since this one can be seen to be glorifying violence.

You can't separate violence from it.

"We put the young ones on the front line, sir, they love it, and good practice
    "...nobody came close to breaching the fence. If they had they would have been greeted with the most vicious dogs, and most ominous weapons, I have ever seen. Thatís when people would have been really badly hurt, at least."

All of these have some sort of violent element to them. Yes he was praising the Secret Service, so it would be glorifying Secret Service violence. That is still glorifying violence. But again interpret how you wish. That is the last I will comment on it, bed time.