So to reiterate the issues with the current FM system, the main problem that I have is that only one FM is getting hosted at a time and the order that the FMs are being hosted in essentially ends up being a first-in-first-out queue. This results in the following...

1) If a player dies early in an FM, they still have to wait for the conclusion of that FM before they can join another FM.
2) If a player doesn't like the setup which is next in the queue, they are either forced to sign up anyway or wait for the next FM which can take a couple of weeks. This gets even worse if there are multiple setups in a row in the queue that players do not like.
3) If a player has high activity and could easily participate in multiple FMs, they are still forced to only participate in one.

While I do also recognize/remember the issues that came from a lack of mod oversight, this would be what I see as the ideal changes to the system...

1) While FM mods give appropriate feedback to setups, as long as the setup is complete, they always approve the setup, even though they can delay signups if there are already multiple ongoing games/signups. This feeds into the "capitalism" idea that it is ultimately the players (buyers) who determine what gets hosted, not the mods (government).
2) Two FMs can be hosted simultaneously. This doubles the potential number of FMs that can be hosted at a time, while not completely scrapping the queue and creating issues where there are too many FMs being hosted at a single time.
3) Once a setup goes into the signup phase, if it does not get an appropriate number of signers within a given amount of time, it is removed from signups and replaced by the next FM in queue (again, the players are determining what ultimately gets hosted).
4) While hosts are encouraged to increase the length of their day/night cycles if they have players playing in multiple simultaneous FMs to give those players more time to fully participate in both FMs, it is ultimately the decision of the host on how long/short they want their days/nights to be (within reason).
5) Likewise, if multiple FMs are going simultaneously, some effort is made to stagger them so that when one of the games is in night phase, the other is in day phase.
6) Mods reserve the right to have only one active FM for a period of time, such as if a major FM is getting hosted where maximum community participation is encouraged.
7) If a major FM/event is going to be hosted, multiple people are allowed to give setups for that FM/event. If multiple setups are given, a community poll is created for which one will be hosted.

I think these are my major points, but I'll add to this if I think I missed something.