Next Roles Poll
Register

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Vote for the roles you want first! (I am only doing one at a time)

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amnesiac [in next]

41 51.25%
  • Veteran [in now]

18 22.50%
  • Cultist [in after that]

21 26.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Roles Poll

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5
    Shepard

Re: On New Versions

I think the game is fine as-is to be honest. Maybe some additional roles would be cool, but unnecessary.

Cut-scenes would be awesome though

6. ISO #6
    Trenix

Quote Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
    I think the game is fine as-is to be honest.
    ??? Why do people not like updates? I've realized this has been some kind of tend in various of games. Personally, I wouldn't mind any of these improvements.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8
    Eldrazor

What's so hard about putting in new terrain? Unless you're going to completely revamp every region and point...

Anyways, I can see the terrain improve a bit, it's a bit bland now. Also, lighting is underused. I love the day/night cycle actually visible on the ground, though.

9. ISO #9
    Faceless

I voted for more roles and more executions.

Roles, in my opinion, are the structure of the game. Different roles can make for many different ways of playing the game.

Executions are just FUN and that's what games are about, FUN. It's also really funny when someone has a funny name and they get an execution that would suit them.

For instance, I played with someone named "Rebecca Black" and when put on trial, they started singing Friday. They got to "WHICH SEAT DO I TAAAAAKE?" and then got the electric chair execution. Pure comedy gold (in my opinion).

10. ISO #10
    Omgproberush

Voted for points reward system/ranks because it'd be a good way to show how much one has played, and maybe a way to bring shame upon those who quit a lot.
    Also voted for executions, because they're fun.

Terrain is fine, more roles would be nice but right now there's a solid amount (same with variants), event log is OK but not necessary IMO (plus it can help a mafia meld in better if people forget how he voted), night action cutscenes not a big deal.

11. ISO #11
    Shepard

Quote Originally Posted by Trenix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
    I think the game is fine as-is to be honest.
    ??? Why do people not like updates? I've realized this has been some kind of tend in various of games. Personally, I wouldn't mind any of these improvements.
    I don't mind updates.

What I do mind is adding new things for the sake of adding new things.

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13
    Eldrazor

Re: On New Versions II

Going with the variant save slot and more roles.
    Variant save slot because I can see setting up very specific variants with individual rules of individual classes take up quite some time to set up at the start of the game.
    And more roles are always welcome, in my opinion.
    As tertiary I'd pick more score systems and stuff, achievements, things like that. I just like that kind of stuff :P

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15
    Faceless

I voted for the Variant Save slot and more roles.

As I mentioned before, I think roles are the structure of the game and open up great potential when implemented correctly.

Variant Save slot thing would just be amazing. I could tweak everything I need to be 100% perfect without pissing off a whole lobby of people and getting repicked before I can make things fun.

By the way, DR. This poll is an extremely good idea and I encourage you to continue using this as a method of gathering feedback.

16. ISO #16
    Trenix

Quote Originally Posted by Faceless View Post
    By the way, DR. This poll is an extremely good idea and I encourage you to continue using this as a method of gathering feedback.
    Agreed.

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19
    Talelorm

Re: On New Versions III

your newest update has cause people to get there points reset

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21
    Omgproberush

Out of the 4, new executions I guess, but none of them IMO are really a big deal. The game's in good shape right now.

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23
    Faceless

When you say "Better UI" what does that mean? Would it be repositioning or something?

24. ISO #24
    Faceless

I voted for more executions.

I feel like the "night action cutscene" just isn't worth the effort if it's really difficult to implement. Your time would likely be better spent elsewhere. That being said, I would explore other options.

25. ISO #25

26. ISO #26
    Faceless

Re: On New Versions IV

I voted for Arsonist, Witch, Jester, and Watcher.

Watcher sounds like an awesome role, and Arsonist, Witch, Jester all sound like they would add insanely good diversity to the game.

Just a question though, would Jester be able to kill someone when he's lynched? Take them down with him?

27. ISO #27
    ev1hmr

I voted for the miller and the janitor. I think the rest of the roles undermine too much of the game mechanic at some point.

TL;DR rationalization inc:

Hunter - Changed my mind, he's cool.

Spy - Undermines mafia completely. It's a neat idea, but in most games odds are stacked numerically against the mafia anyway, and for the mafia to be unable to conspire destroys their ability to manipulate the game effectively.

Forensics - After Day 1, when 2-3 people are dead, especially if the vigilante didn't kill someone, he has a very high chance of detecting a mafioso or serial killer. Way too powerful.

Usurper - Mafia will get him killed immediately. Makes no sense to keep him around since he will inevitably rat out the GF anyway.

Miller - Good idea. Makes the town question each other more, which makes games more intense.

Framer - Balance-wise he's probably okay. My objection is mostly personal preference so I'll leave it out.

Jester - Every single trial, "I'm jester, don't lynch me or you lose!" It would get old.

Arsonist - If he makes it to Day 3, where there are 5-6 people left alive at most, and the arsonist has just 3 of them doused, he pretty much automatically wins. It's imbalanced as it's described.

Witch - Not really in the Mafia theme, but a decent idea as a neutral. I'd suggest a rename, and perhaps have the Person A be told who their target switched to. I'm the doctor, and all of a sudden I'm healing Joe instead of Chuck. Does that mean Joe is the witch and wants me to protect her? Or is the witch just trying to make me think that?

Terrorist - As a neutral, I don't see how he wins. Seems just like a troll character to me.

Bus Driver - I don't understand the mechanic as it's described.

Tracker, Watcher - Changed my mind, but they certainly alter the current metagame.

Surgeon - Makes the mafia a little too powerful. With only 3 mafia members, which seems to be standard, a heal reduces the number of available targets by one. So there are effectively two mafia that can be killed at night but they get 3 votes. Instead I would suggest an Infiltrator, a character that can alter a vote during trials, or maybe his vote counts for two. In the end it's pretty much the same in the end, but fixing trials I think is a much more interesting mechanic.

Hitman - Undermines Hunter, Surgeon, Citizen, Survivor, maybe SK depending on how you interpret it (if immunity means immunity from role blockers as well as assassination). Too powerful, I think.

Janitor - Genius! There have been many times as Mafia when I was found just by process of elimination; this will give Mafia a chance to claim roles. Again, makes the game more intense, which is what -Mafia- is all about!

Those are my opinions. Off to Subway.

28. ISO #28
    Faceless

I think of all the available votes, Witch is my favorite. The ability to alter the game like that if you're good sounds just as dangerous at the serial killer but more fun. Second favorite is Arsonist. When you think about Arsonists, they're really just serial killers with timed killings. Not any more overpowered than the serial killer is.

Arsonist should be able to only kill during the day, by the way. It'd make things interesting to SEE people go up in flames at a "safe" time.

29. ISO #29

30. ISO #30
    ev1hmr

Since he's basically a survivor with no vest and can only kill once, and to do effectively he has to live for a few days, I would suggest that if someone tries to kill him at night, he explodes and kills them too. It would make the mafia be more careful in their killing (town too for that matter), giving him at least a little protection from being randomly killed.

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32
    Faceless

Well if Arsonist COULD kill during the day, it should look like the victims just randomly burst into a violent flame. There shouldn't be anything that leads back to the Arsonist other than the rather obvious display of fireworks he's putting on.

I feel like it would add a new way to lie. If the Aronist really wanted to frame someone he could wait until someone is put on trial, and then go for the kill to make it look like the defendant is trying to kill people after being put on trial. Daytime kills would probably be worth the time/effort to implement, as it would also open up doors for other daytime killers if you ever wanted to add them.

Terrorist sounds like a fun idea when you add in the effect of exploding on whoever kills him. It would add in a sense of caution when the mafia is killing people. As it is now, mafia will pretty much just randomly choose someone to kill most nights unless they have a lead. With the terrorist threat, it would make a lot of mafia rethink their game plan.

Janitor actually sounds like it could have a great positive impact on the way the game is played. If there's ever an opportunity to create another way to lie, I think it should be seized.

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34

I voted for Spy, Arsonist Bus Driver and Janitor.

Hunter - I have a completly different vision of someone playing the hunter role. Basically I see them as either town or neutral and they can lay a certain amount of traps down (1-2) Everyone that targets hunter that night including doctors and roleblockers and obviously killers get caught in trap and if someone gets caught in their trap their targeting of hunter is cancelled and then the next night the person(s) in the trap's night ability is completly disabled and the hunter has the option to either kill each person in your trap or let them live. The metagame around properly playing hunter would be to bluff an important role to get people to target you and then hold their fates in the balance. Would be really interesting and fun! Current version of hunter is meh

Spy - is an awesome idea, I don't think it would make town overpowered because of anonomousness of it, just make the mafia be more careful.

Forensics - would definetly be overpowered for Town's side in it's current state and would only work if he replaced sheriff and investigator since he is more powerful than those guys and could find evildoers way quicker. I don't like the idea

Miller - It's a cool idea but miller would literally be weaker than citizen and anyone who was a miller would just leave the game/no one would want to be the miller so everyone would say to take it out if it was selected. Wouldn't work out popularity wise

Userper - Doesn't add any depth to game so whatever. All it does is enourage mafia infighting and userper to give away gf identity in his last will. Also if godfather dies he should auto become godfather, if I was godfather I would sacrifice the userper first.

Framer - It's a pretty cool idea but how would it effect investigators who don't detect exact roles?

Jester - sure why not for shits and giggles

Arsonist - honestly not sure how this would play out could be really good or bad. Varriation on serial killer overall I like it!

Witch - Meh witch would probably be neutral evildooer without any killing power, that doesn't bode well for their ability to win.

Terrorist - could be a cool wildcard. I think he should have to kill himself in order to win not just be dead and that he shouldn't be able to kill himself for at least the first night if not the first two nights to make things more interesting.

Busdriver - Great role because it is powerful in a subtle way. It would be epic and funny to see a busdriver make a mafia kill one of his own. I think godfather even with immunity shouldn't be immune to a hit from a busdrivered mafia. Also has tons of metagame implications if you know the role of someone. Noob or troll busdriver could be a problem though. This role would add a lot of depth to the game.

Tracker/Watcher - meh could be cool, seems fairly meidocre to me.

Surgeon - seems a little overpowered for the mafia, they could be constantly healing one of their
    own. Surgeon could also be used to troll mafia by healing anyone they target.

Hitman - Does hitman mean doctors wouldn't matter? Otherwise it is pointless. Only people with immunity other than godfather who is mafia are civilians and survivor and that is tempoary you don't need to make a role for that. I think it is better as mafia vigilante.

Janitor - love this role for mafia. Allows for a lot more mindgames and suspense. The weakness is that you know janitor's hit was from mafia not sk or vig. Janitor should be able to see the role they clean up privatly so they can tell the mafia the next night. This is a great role for a smart mafia, for a dumb mafia probably wouldn't benifit them that much but definelty sould add it.

35. ISO #35

Terrorist sounds like a fun idea when you add in the effect of exploding on whoever kills him. It would add in a sense of caution when the mafia is killing people. As it is now, mafia will pretty much just randomly choose someone to kill most nights unless they have a lead. With the terrorist threat, it would make a lot of mafia rethink their game plan.
    I second this idea

36. ISO #36
    Faceless

It's interesting to see how people are responding to this role poll. I really didn't expect people to vote into Spy so many times.

37. ISO #37
    Faceless

Just curious, DR. How long do you intend to let the poll sit before you tally up the votes and make your decision(s)?

38. ISO #38
    JustDK

I like the Surgeon, Janitor, and Framer the most. Towns people are fine as it is imo, i play with alot of Random Mafia, which makes more mafia alot more interesting. just my 2 cents

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40
    Faceless

I'm going to start posting my suggestions here since this seems to be pretty much dedicated to new stuff, and since you've mentioned game mechanics...

I suggest having an option (preferably on the role-card) to turn off music. I really enjoy the new weather effects and sounds, and the music gets kind of annoying sometimes. That being said, the music MUST STAY, just with the option to turn it off and on. As it stands now, I believe the music is classified as "sound" rather than "music" so turning off Music in the default options menu won't have an effect.

I love the new cosmetic changes to the map, by the way.

41. ISO #41
    Eldrazor

I'm going to start posting my suggestions here since this seems to be pretty much dedicated to new stuff, and since you've mentioned game mechanics...

I suggest having an option (preferably on the role-card) to turn off music. I really enjoy the new weather effects and sounds, and the music gets kind of annoying sometimes. That being said, the music MUST STAY, just with the option to turn it off and on. As it stands now, I believe the music is classified as "sound" rather than "music" so turning off Music in the default options menu won't have an effect.

I love the new cosmetic changes to the map, by the way.
    Music off in the map shouldn't need to be an option. It just needs to be classified as 'music' instead of 'sound'. I actually have my sound off when I'm playing mafia because of this.

42. ISO #42

43. ISO #43
    Heisenberg

I would so be the Usurper. That's just badass. I was making a habit of pretending to be an investigator and saccing the GF anyway.

44. ISO #44
    Trenix

There are many roles that I like and some that I dislike. However, I've only voted for 4. So just because some roles don't have many votes, it doesn't mean that they're bad roles. It's most likely that players will pick their 4 favorites. For example, miller would be a nice role but there are only 2 votes for it and I am actually not one of them. Mainly it's because I prefer other roles first. So just because it's the second lowest selection on the list, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I think that everyone should take that into consideration.

45. ISO #45
    Membrax

So just because it's the second lowest selection on the list, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I think that everyone should take that into consideration.
    Well, according to the poll title:
    "Vote for the four roles you would like added first"
    hopefully we'll see more of those (and new ones I hope) later on
    You just have to start somewhere.

46. ISO #46
    Trenix

Quote Originally Posted by Membrax View Post
    So just because it's the second lowest selection on the list, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I think that everyone should take that into consideration.
    Well, according to the poll title:
    "Vote for the four roles you would like added first"
    hopefully we'll see more of those (and new ones I hope) later on
    You just have to start somewhere.
    I've noticed that, just wanted people to be aware.

47. ISO #47
    Faceless

Most, if not all of these roles are worthy of being implemented at some point. I liked more than 4 of them as well.

48. ISO #48
    Faceless

DR, I notice that there are several suggestion threads open by other users. You might consider changing the name of this thread to catch the attention of people and try to get them to post their suggestions here along with voting on the poll. This seems like it would be beneficial, especially if you're like me and too lazy to go through everyone's suggestions.

People will probably still create their own suggestion threads, but at least this will lessen the numbers and maybe generate more feedback.

49. ISO #49

Re: Next Roles Poll

I removed the roles that won from the list (due to map ban, I'm adding the top 6 instead of top 4). These are Spy, Framer, Janitor, Jester, Arsonist, and Witch.

For now, vote on the roles you think should NOT be added to the game. I won't be taking out a fixed number of roles from this list; I just want to see what you think.

50. ISO #50
    Membrax

Re: Next Roles Poll

Considering the last mail from Blizzard (https://www.thecouncilofmages.com/for...opic,91.0.html) it would be preferable to either forget about the terrorist or rename it...