Adding more buttons for commands would be helpful
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Adding more buttons for commands would be helpful

I've played 20-30 games of SC2 Mafia so far, and one thing that stood out to me was how frequently I needed to input text commands. While text commands aren't necessarily a bad thing, they do create two challenges for players. First, they make things more difficult for new players, who may not even be aware that there are text commands. Second, they can eat up time for players who need to take actions quickly and for which a difference of only a few seconds can be significant.

As an example of the second issue, I often find myself in roles such as doctor or investigator which frequently need to update their last wills as a record of their activities. While the time it takes to click in the chat box and type "-lw" may seem insignificant, the 2-3 seconds it takes to do this really are noticeable, especially in the night phase when I also need to decide who to protect/investigate. Having a button to open the last will, perhaps placed over the chat box near where the last will box pops up, would be extremely helpful. If it were labeled "last will" this would help out new players as well.

On a similar note, typing in "-jail #" as a jailor might take only a moment, but that time can have an impact if you become suspicious of someone right as the day ends and may not be able to type it in fast enough. Adding a button system to do this such as the one that other roles have for their actions would improve user-friendliness.

-JPlayah

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: Adding more buttons for commands would be helpful

I don't have any thing against the idea itself, but I really don't have a problem with typing it.
    I mean, -lw takes like 0.2 seconds to type. I can open my lw and update it in ~5 seconds, so maybe it's just a WPM issue?

And if you type "-jail" without the number, it will open a button dialogue in which you can click to jail. You can use that method or the # method to initially jail someone, and then reopen the button dialogue to click someone else at the last second of the day if you want to. If you don't need to, or are too slow in clicking, you still have the original person jailed so it's not a problem.

Seems like a lot of work to put in to make buttons (which rev has said before is a huge pain in the ass) when the text commands aren't really that difficult.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    I mean, -lw takes like 0.2 seconds to type. I can open my lw and update it in ~5 seconds, so maybe it's just a WPM issue?
    Same, except when it bugs to hell.

I get the wierdest thing where i type and it keeps 'jumping' back a second or 2, losing what you just typed. it only ever happens when typing in the lw box in sc2mafia and when it does happen it tends happen again and again and again while im typing. i've had lw's that took me all night to update simply because it kept erasing chunks of text as i wrote. And when the cursor suddenly jumps to a different spot in the texbox for no reason while i'm typing, maddening.

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
    Same, except when it bugs to hell.

I get the wierdest thing where i type and it keeps 'jumping' back a second or 2, losing what you just typed. it only ever happens when typing in the lw box in sc2mafia and when it does happen it tends happen again and again and again while im typing. i've had lw's that took me all night to update simply because it kept erasing chunks of text as i wrote. And when the cursor suddenly jumps to a different spot in the texbox for no reason while i'm typing, maddening.
    I believe that happens at night every time someone types in night chat or something shitty like that lol. Not 100% sure though lol

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    I don't have any thing against the idea itself, but I really don't have a problem with typing it.

And if you type "-jail" without the number, it will open a button dialogue in which you can click to jail. You can use that method or the # method to initially jail someone, and then reopen the button dialogue to click someone else at the last second of the day if you want to. If you don't need to, or are too slow in clicking, you still have the original person jailed so it's not a problem.

Seems like a lot of work to put in to make buttons (which rev has said before is a huge pain in the ass) when the text commands aren't really that difficult.
    If I may clarify =3

It's not so much the fact that you're typing "-lw" that takes up so much time. It's moreso the fact that you type -lw, switch to your mouse to click what part of the textbox you wanna type in, return to the keyboard to type what you want to type, then return to the the mouse again to click on the square button to save the lw. Throughout the entire process, you switch where your hands are 4 times (assuming you start out with a hand on the mouse from clicking night actions). This simply feels like a lethargic and unnecessarily complicated process. If you added a button, you'd only switch tools twice. Of course, this is more First World Problems than anything.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    If I may clarify =3

It's not so much the fact that you're typing "-lw" that takes up so much time. It's moreso the fact that you type -lw, switch to your mouse to click what part of the textbox you wanna type in, return to the keyboard to type what you want to type, then return to the the mouse again to click on the square button to save the lw. Throughout the entire process, you switch where your hands are 4 times (assuming you start out with a hand on the mouse from clicking night actions). This simply feels like a lethargic and unnecessarily complicated process. If you added a button, you'd only switch tools twice. Of course, this is more First World Problems than anything.
    The old system, which existed about 3 years ago was to just type -lw "your message here", like -lw RED IS MAFIA LYNCH HIM.
    The limitations of this system is that you can only have one line to type your will in, so the current system exists.
    But yeah, I personally find the time to type -lw insignificant, a button there for me wouldn't change much.

I can only really suggest starting the will writing process earlier, try and get set ups with longer nights or maybe the lowest possible night duration could be made longer. But there has never been a complaint that the 30 second minimum night duration has been a problem.
    Last edited by Mugy; May 6th, 2015 at 04:39 PM.

Spoiler : :
    FM XIV - Rapture : Denizen
    FM XV - Star Wars : Citizen
    FM XIV - FuzzyWuzzyTown : Doctor