Retro Investigator Option
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Retro Investigator Option

My favorite role back in the day was Invest. Back when it was doc/sk, citizen or something sinister, etc.

Invests are nerfed to hell now. I'm not sure of your plan but I know you have good intentions and this is the game you want to see. I just want to say that this crimes/no crimes is less fun than the original Invest.

Invest used to be massively powerful but only if you were intelligent enough to put the pieces together with the roles list. Now it either gives away someone's identity with absolution (for example, guilty of murder) or lets you invest a guilty person but gives you "no crimes" and gives you limited information. It's more about luck and catching the right person at the right time versus proper deduction and observation.

Anyhow, this is your game not mine. So do with it what you want. But! I notice you still have the "Investigator Detects Exact Roles" check box on the Invest. So, maybe we could add a "Retro Investigator" checkbox.

That way, we can have both how Invests are now and how they were depending on who's save it is and what they want out of the game.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: Retro Investigator Option

The idea was something like this:

The old invest gave pairings of what the target could be. You could look at the list and ask yourself what is possible and figure out the players role.

The new invest gives pairings of what actions the target could have taken. Like "Murder". With that crime you dont know what the players role is or if he is evil. You just know he killed someone. But players only have crimes if they have taken an action. So you could be an SK and just not kill to stay invisible to investigators. In essence the new invest still gives you a pairing. But its one step more hidden. You end up comparing possible attributes to determine which combination of roles they could be.

I really think the new system is better from a mechanics stand point and it plays great for the framer. But I dont think players understand it and it takes a lot more focus to play well. Another example of "A roles potential impact" vs "how its used". Changing it would lower the learning curve and make it less of a skill role. I bet changing the sheriff role would end up with a similar reaction.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

5. ISO #5

I have literally not seen an investigator catch someone in any of my games since the new patch came out lol. 90% of the time you get such useless information back as investigator, and you have to check people multiple times to be effective (which is hard with games ending so fast).

Investigative pairings were awesome, except they got carried away with the descriptions. I think it'd be better just to show a list of possible roles, without a description of why it falls into that category lol. I don't see why it can't be an option to have the old Investigator results. If people don't want it, they won't activate the option.

I don't really use Investigator in my saves really, but the old version was def more fun to have around & play as in my opinion.

6. ISO #6

Revenant said Investigator never really was what he wanted it to be, and became way too powerful. Even with 'Detect Exact Role' OFF Investigator was still the strongest Investigative role in all cases. This version is meant to be much weaker, and so it is.
    I'd be fine with this option being around, but it would be the largest option ever put in most likely, and I doubt Revenant would consider it since he went out of his way to remove it from the game.

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Slaol View Post
    Revenant said Investigator never really was what he wanted it to be, and became way too powerful. Even with 'Detect Exact Role' OFF Investigator was still the strongest Investigative role in all cases. This version is meant to be much weaker, and so it is.
    I'd be fine with this option being around, but it would be the largest option ever put in most likely, and I doubt Revenant would consider it since he went out of his way to remove it from the game.
    even though... in classic mafia, "inspector - determines what the specific player's role is, occurs in games with X players or more"

i liked the old investigator messages the best, the current matches as crypt stated, cant be useful in a game setting that ends on day 6. 5 nights of info, useless night 1 because no one committed a crime. 4/14 chances to find anyone at all throughout the game, strong chance the scum you checked hadn't committed murder so hes still potentially town. the problem with the new investigative messages is that they aren't "high probably town, low probability mafia", and the reverse. Invest needs a buff.
    Last edited by kyle1234513; September 13th, 2014 at 04:34 AM.

8. ISO #8

I would very much like this option.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM-Shocked Kirby Face View Post
    Deathworlds is simply better than us at this game. Don't kill them for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

Bro, just change investigator role into cameraman wanna-be role. Seriously.

Plants cameras around someone's house and see the crimes that the owner of the house is engaging in and crimes that are directed at the house (can't distinguish between the owner and the visitor though, so murder will still come up if it was the owner who was attacked). Can only plant 2 or 3 cameras maximum. Exceeding camera limit results in cameras being removed from old houses. low-quality cameras stop precise activity / precise people being noticed.

It'd actually make sure the investigator builds up a decent wad of information even in a quick game. Plus if you're total crap at the role, you may still be able to help at the town a bit. And it's not x or y like the old system - most the information is still quite generalized.

11. ISO #11

^ Imo thats even worse then the current one.

Then again wtf do I know about investigators, balance of the roles and stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM-Shocked Kirby Face View Post
    Deathworlds is simply better than us at this game. Don't kill them for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass