This community saddens me.
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

This community saddens me.

I would just like to say I am a new player to this game. Never have I been harassed in-game playing any other game as badly as I have in this one. Even worse, the harassment often comes from players who have many THOUSANDS of points, more than enough to report me for "having the nerve" to argue back against them, when they've literally spent the entire time criticizing my play. Even worse, I'm told that their behavior isn't reportable (BY A MOD NO LESS) when they've REPORTED ME IN THE SAME GAME FOR WHAT THEY DEEM THE SAME THING.

I won't be playing this game any longer, and I'll certainly be describing the awful experiences I've had playing this game in every review that I can possibly find.

2. ISO #2

Re: This community saddens me.

This is a world fulfilled with criticize. Prove your strategy with victory.

Upload replay and see what others says, next time you can get under their skins better.
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

3. ISO #3

if you make a mistake in the "sheriff here i saw player 3 visit 10 last night" type of ordeal, we will absolutely hate on you. and in return we know you will never believe that a sheriff followed someone again.

if you get yelled at in regards to you are vigilante with a 50-50 shot on 2 citizen claims (assuming 3 people in total left), anyone who yells at you is wrong for doing so and they're an idiot who is just venting.

and if a player is misusing the -report function and they can be reported here and punished for it.

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by TheLordCookie View Post
    I would just like to say I am a new player to this game. Never have I been harassed in-game playing any other game as badly as I have in this one. Even worse, the harassment often comes from players who have many THOUSANDS of points, more than enough to report me for "having the nerve" to argue back against them, when they've literally spent the entire time criticizing my play. Even worse, I'm told that their behavior isn't reportable (BY A MOD NO LESS) when they've REPORTED ME IN THE SAME GAME FOR WHAT THEY DEEM THE SAME THING.

I won't be playing this game any longer, and I'll certainly be describing the awful experiences I've had playing this game in every review that I can possibly find.
    Welcome. I apologize that your first impression is that demoralizing, however no one's amount of points discredits your right to talk back to them - we have shiny red badges for that - and any report that came in for 'having the nerve to argue back' would immediately be ignored. New players do, let's be fair, have room to improve on their play, you should not worry so much that they are 'criticizing' and take it more as 'critiquing' and latch onto the game sided advice that you can dig up from the anger you see. It is not wrong to say that arguments and anger are not reportable, Mafia is an emotional game and we encourage personality, however if they were to follow you into games and purposely target you this would fall under Griefing and can be brought to our attention.

I apologize that your experience was so poor, and encourage you to perhaps take a different light into the game if you should play it again. It does take a dash of grit and doesn't appeal to everyone, but the game is far bigger than the community of trolls that finds it's way into our lobbies. At the end of the day if it is your style of game the errors of others will be null after a brief time.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Slaol,
    Head of Community Events
    Last edited by Slaol; March 1st, 2014 at 10:33 AM.

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

We don't regulate in-game conduct that doesn't affect the outcome of the game. This coupled with the nature of the -Mafia- map leads people to troll and insult more than other maps.

Its still the internet, and people will still do what they want to do. We don't have the manpower to make sure everyone is nice to each other in-game. However, I have always encouraged players to report insulting people to Blizzard. It can't hurt. Also, as Slaol has already said, if these players continuously target you, we will step in. If this is the case, try to have a few replays to post all at once.

Thank you, and welcome to the Sc2Mafia forum.

EDIT: Please stay on topic when posting guys. Deleting off topic posts is depressing
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    You should be priviledged to experience bestmas.

"waah the screen is shaking, waah my delicate eyes".

Fuck sake.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkLiveLife View Post
    Starcraft is not free and Mafia was not a 'free to play game' until very recently. Blizzard just doesn't care. I wouldn't either in their shoes but it still sucks from our end.
    It kind of has been for awhile now. They especially don't care for arcade for obvious reasons.
    It's free in the sense that once people buy the game, there is no spending more money on it like with Diablo or WoW.

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by AppleyNO View Post
    We don't regulate in-game conduct that doesn't affect the outcome of the game. This coupled with the nature of the -Mafia- map leads people to troll and insult more than other maps.

Its still the internet, and people will still do what they want to do. We don't have the manpower to make sure everyone is nice to each other in-game. However, I have always encouraged players to report insulting people to Blizzard. It can't hurt. Also, as Slaol has already said, if these players continuously target you, we will step in. If this is the case, try to have a few replays to post all at once.

Thank you, and welcome to the Sc2Mafia forum.

EDIT: Please stay on topic when posting guys. Deleting off topic posts is depressing
    ppl using words they dont know in an attempt to look professional and failing is depressing

Quote Originally Posted by Xentios View Post
    İ think mafia is an adult game and an adult should handle this kind of things especially when they are not real!.
    hard to do when most the staff is under age

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

I sympathize so much with this guy.

I LOVE SC2 Mafia, many players have put so much work into it and I have INCREDIBLE respect for those players. But their efforts are ruined by trolls, griefers and generally nasty individuals, who will literally say ANYTHING behind the comforts of their computer screen.

There are players like myself that DO just want to play a good game, devoid of it's usual racism, sexism, cyber bullying and profanity that goes beyond profanity. But those games are so few and far between and more often than not, the chat log resembles that of the comment's section on your average Youtube video.

Someone above called this an ADULT game, which I don't think could be further from the truth, since in-game often looks like a 'squabble' between prepubescents.

I see players above also criticize Blizzard for not enforcing their policies. I haven't got much love for Blizzard (no hate either though, tbh) and I don't even know whether they're supposed to enforce or not, but it's beside the point... You can criticize them all you want, but this forum isn't much better. Maybe you don't have the same racism, sexism e.t c you'd find in-game, but if you consider this a friendly community, I'd say you were either blind or joking. The SC2 Mafia community has a bad rep for a reason and before you blame the problems of SC2 Mafia on someone/something else, look at this very forum.

Hell, look at the posts above. A NEW player posted his genuinely bad experience with the game (and I'll add, an experience which is just 100% accurate) and one of the answers given was simply... 'get good'. I'd say that pretty much sums up the communities' feelings towards new players in no less than two words.

I'm sorry, but you can blame the 'trolls' lurking in-game, that you have no control over, but it seems to me, that most of the time this forum can generally turn on their webcams and find one there too.

And yeah, this is the Internet, but if there's no control and/or no effort to control, penalise, condone and generally look unfavourably on such comments and overall behaviour, then guaranteed its just gonna run rampant and attract even more of the same. Don't believe me, click any random video on Youtube.

I've played SC2 Mafia for a couple of years now, but only recently came to the forum. I knew that in-game was bad, but I never expected the forum to be such a similar (albeit watered down) version. With Town of Salem now becoming another option in which to play Mafia and confirmed intentions to quell such comments/actions/behavior, SC2 Mafia seems less and less appealing to players like myself.

While Town of Salem doesn't yet hold a candle to SC2 Mafia and has a LONG way to go, that fact alone is enough for me to make a transition over there. I'd tell the same to the creator of this topic and anyone else that's passionate about Mafia but feels the same way I do about this community. Like I said, its not all bad and there are some genuinely awesome players to be found here. But it's like a carton of eggs, where only one is edible and the other five are rotten to their core.

17. ISO #17

I really don't see why the SC2 Mafia community shouldn't transition to a browser-based game in the first place. All the things that utilize SC2 in Mafia are things that suck and waste time anyway, not to mention the constant lobby drops, load freezes, load drops, post-load drops, force laggers, lobby fillers, and now, new account point hackers.

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    ppl using words they dont know in an attempt to look professional and failing is depressing

hard to do when most the staff is under age
    Most of the staff is over 18. I'm like one of 3 or 2 who are under 18.

Please don't insult me, or I might qq T.T

Quote Originally Posted by Slaol View Post
    Let's volunteer.
    Nah
    Last edited by AppleyNO; March 1st, 2014 at 04:24 PM.

Fuck sake.

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I sympathize so much with this guy.

I LOVE SC2 Mafia, many players have put so much work into it and I have INCREDIBLE respect for those players. But their efforts are ruined by trolls, griefers and generally nasty individuals, who will literally say ANYTHING behind the comforts of their computer screen.

There are players like myself that DO just want to play a good game, devoid of it's usual racism, sexism, cyber bullying and profanity that goes beyond profanity. But those games are so few and far between and more often than not, the chat log resembles that of the comment's section on your average Youtube video.

Someone above called this an ADULT game, which I don't think could be further from the truth, since in-game often looks like a 'squabble' between prepubescents.

I see players above also criticize Blizzard for not enforcing their policies. I haven't got much love for Blizzard (no hate either though, tbh) and I don't even know whether they're supposed to enforce or not, but it's beside the point... You can criticize them all you want, but this forum isn't much better. Maybe you don't have the same racism, sexism e.t c you'd find in-game, but if you consider this a friendly community, I'd say you were either blind or joking. The SC2 Mafia community has a bad rep for a reason and before you blame the problems of SC2 Mafia on someone/something else, look at this very forum.

Hell, look at the posts above. A NEW player posted his genuinely bad experience with the game (and I'll add, an experience which is just 100% accurate) and one of the answers given was simply... 'get good'. I'd say that pretty much sums up the communities' feelings towards new players in no less than two words.

I'm sorry, but you can blame the 'trolls' lurking in-game, that you have no control over, but it seems to me, that most of the time this forum can generally turn on their webcams and find one there too.

And yeah, this is the Internet, but if there's no control and/or no effort to control, penalise, condone and generally look unfavourably on such comments and overall behaviour, then guaranteed its just gonna run rampant and attract even more of the same. Don't believe me, click any random video on Youtube.

I've played SC2 Mafia for a couple of years now, but only recently came to the forum. I knew that in-game was bad, but I never expected the forum to be such a similar (albeit watered down) version. With Town of Salem now becoming another option in which to play Mafia and confirmed intentions to quell such comments/actions/behavior, SC2 Mafia seems less and less appealing to players like myself.

While Town of Salem doesn't yet hold a candle to SC2 Mafia and has a LONG way to go, that fact alone is enough for me to make a transition over there. I'd tell the same to the creator of this topic and anyone else that's passionate about Mafia but feels the same way I do about this community. Like I said, its not all bad and there are some genuinely awesome players to be found here. But it's like a carton of eggs, where only one is edible and the other five are rotten to their core.
    if it seems like the community doesnt like noobs its cuz noobs suck and ruin otherwise good games. go to tos no one cares, dont let the door hit u on the way out

Quote Originally Posted by AppleyNO View Post
    Most of the staff is over 18. I'm like one of 3 or 2 who are under 18.

Please don't insult me, or I might qq T.T

Nah
    funny how the 2 or 3 that are underage are the most infraction-happy of staff. which goes back to the point i was making with my comment: its hard for people to handle things like an adult when they are a child

21. ISO #21

funny how the 2 or 3 that are underage are the most infraction-happy of staff. which goes back to the point i was making with my comment: its hard for people to handle things like an adult when they are a child
    Myself and Mugy are the only ones with infraction power that are under 18.

Enough derailment, if you want to continue this conversation, go ahead and PM me.

Fuck sake.

22. ISO #22

I was there...if his in-game name is saltedcookies. He got trolled and made fun of by his mafia team. Look it wasn't nice or mature but it was not reportable and his use of the -report function was inappropriate. I explained that to him with respect.
    Last edited by BrockSamson; March 1st, 2014 at 05:19 PM.

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

getting back to the topic on hand, its hard to blame the community for its behavior when certain staff members engage in cheating and griefing. dont you agree appley?
    Yes, I agree. Do you have a point? There hasn't been any reported instances of staff members cheating in a long while. If you have a replay, share it, otherwise please stop instigating.

Fuck sake.

26. ISO #26

'if it seems like the community doesnt like noobs its cuz noobs suck and ruin otherwise good games'

Everyone begins as a noob and everyone was a noob once. Pros should be helping new players, not discouraging them and even trying to get rid of them, this is one of the reasons why your community sucks.

'go to tos no one cares, dont let the door hit u on the way out'

Thanks for providing validity to everything I said.

27. ISO #27

Validity doesn't matter. The problem is still there.
    It is not an diversity of opinions but a failure to allocate helpfulness.

In a short term, it is no hope to change player base nor enforce regulation on player behavior.
    I expect the problem will continuous while no one but each individual to help themselves out of the mess.

In a long run, it is not entirely uncontrollable but it is rather too much effort for any current players to intervene this kind of mess.

Let's see if Town of Salem can do anything better.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

28. ISO #28

Short term or long term, it would be very challenging. Its possible, just unlikely.

SC2 Mafia would have to operate on a zero tolerance policy, giving plenty of warning that the rules would come in to effect. Players that breached this, would receive a total ban from the game. However, there would simply be too many reports, if left up to players, many would be trolls themselves, or inaccurate, unfair, biased e.t.c e.t.c

The only way to do it, would be to remove player reports entirely and simply leave it up to Moderators, who were in that game at the time. Needless to say, the Moderators need to be highly active and in strong numbers.

Even then, the work load is incredibly high, but FEAR can be a powerful motivator and once enough word spreads and once the evidence reveals enough players banned (that breached the policy) one would hope that would strongly discourage repeat offenses.

You have the benefit that most websites DON'T have when dealing with these sorts of problems, in that creating ANOTHER account (once banned) is pretty difficult i.e costly.

You'd need highly active Moderators, more than just a handful of them and they'd need to be incredibly trustworthy i.e been on the forum for years, donors to the game, x amount of points and well established as pioneers of the community e.t.c e.t.c

Its doable, but very challenging, especially considering the game has been this way for so long already. But if the community is strongly committed to the change, then you CAN do it.

29. ISO #29

'if it seems like the community doesnt like noobs its cuz noobs suck and ruin otherwise good games'

Everyone begins as a noob and everyone was a noob once. Pros should be helping new players, not discouraging them and even trying to get rid of them, this is one of the reasons why your community sucks.

'go to tos no one cares, dont let the door hit u on the way out'

Thanks for providing validity to everything I said.
    Nobody is trying to get rid of new players. I would help anyone who pm me out of the game.

But ofc i would abuse a noob sheriff in game if i am one of the bad guys. I saw many times bad guys had better lw then the real sheriff,invest...

Again this is an adult game. We gather together and vote to kill people! And we just don't kill them simply. We throw molotovs at them or out them in gas rooms. Not to mention people can write what ever they want in game. You may think only thing that sc2 mafia does not have is porno but it actually has it. Every time you block someone you actually make sex with them. We are not using "whore" in game because only blizzard does not allow it.

Yes i know mafia looks very innocent without any real hard 3d graphics like other games childs play now adays but this is what you do in game. Mafia is an adult game like many other games out there.

30. ISO #30

'Nobody is trying to get rid of new players. I would help anyone who pm me out of the game.'

Maybe you would, but many wouldn't : ) Sometimes, before the game had even begun, players would try (and sometimes succeed) to -kick the player(s) which appeared as new. But its more than that, its the general attitude the community has to new players. The "If you don't know what you're doing, you're not welcome here and if you say anything, we'll just troll the f*** out of you"

'But ofc i would abuse a noob sheriff in game if i am one of the bad guys. I saw many times bad guys had better lw then the real sheriff,invest...'

That's not what I'm talking about. In-fact I actually maybe see that as more constructive, than destructive. What the creator of the topic is talking about is clearly destructive : )

'Mafia is an adult game'

I agree, but then why does it seem to be played by children?

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32

33. ISO #33

"Everyone begins as a noob and everyone was a noob once. Pros should be helping new players, not discouraging them and even trying to get rid of them, this is one of the reasons why your community sucks."

If only.. I would love to see more of this.

-Edit..
    as;jlkffsdhjkdfbas kj;ldfnsdfhadf/quote

34. ISO #34

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkLiveLife View Post
    "Everyone begins as a noob and everyone was a noob once. Veteran players should be helping new and current players, not discouraging them to a point to get rid of them, this is one of the reasons why the community sucks."
    I feel like this could apply to the site in several places as well. I adjusted the quote slightly though to reflect better

35. ISO #35

Well you gotta admit guys, this community is pretty freaking terrible.
    Probably the worst I have ever seen.
    Which is why it is so fun!

I really like playing with racists and nazis because its just so damn funny. I don't get offended, but thats because I have a problem with differentiating insults and jokes.

EDIT: OP you just gotta deal with it man. These people are everywhere, but mostly they are here unfortunately, and if ya wanna play the game, ya gotta play THEIR game and go with the racist flow. Trolls will always be attacking you. Keep in mind that even though there are many trolls, they only are a small part of the community. Most of the people are very kind and nice, intelligent and fun to play with. Makes the game like Sherlock Holmes.
    This game is worth it trust me. Unless you are under 21 in terms of maturity of course, the blood guts and politics are too disgusting for many minds.

EDIT 2: I am really surprised that we actually have underaged staff with infraction powers.
    But if Dark Revenant is willing to trust underaged kids then we have to trust them too, considering his judgement is sound, and so far they have done extremely well in their job.
    Last edited by Space Milk; March 2nd, 2014 at 01:07 AM.

36. ISO #36

37. ISO #37

38. ISO #38

I'd wager most players here are under 21, maybe even 75-80%

Most will still be in some form of education. In truth, age doesn't necessarily equate to 'immaturity', but a younger age will increase that likelihood.

So for a game which everyone seems to consider 'Adult' in nature, the mass majority who play it, aren't actually adults.

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40

41. ISO #41

42. ISO #42

Most will still be in some form of education. In truth, age doesn't necessarily equate to 'immaturity', but a younger age will increase that likelihood.

So for a game which everyone seems to consider 'Adult' in nature, the mass majority who play it, aren't actually adults.
    You are being trolled so hard that your perception of reality is distorted.

Some Jester be op on you, yo~

43. ISO #43

One half of staff is in high school.
    The other half, in college.

Not actually true, btw. More like 25%/75%

44. ISO #44

Regarding the ages of players that play SC2 Mafia and what I originally thought:

I said 'I wager', not 'I know'... So be it, I guess it just seems that way.

'I would like to point out that this exists in almost all gaming communities... Take Starcraft2(melee) for example, or League of Legends. '

Of course it does, nobody is denying that. But the disparity between LoL and Sc2 Mafia in terms of this, is COLOSSAL.

45. ISO #45

Quote Originally Posted by TheLordCookie View Post

wait till you see the mods abuse

46. ISO #46

47. ISO #47

48. ISO #48

Quote Originally Posted by creedkingsx View Post
    I have literally no idea what you are talking about.
    If you think there will never be such abuse, then he was talking about staying and playing sc2mafia forever.

Double standard.

49. ISO #49