Do you think America is Anti-intellectual?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Do you think America is Anti-intellectual?

I have been thinking about this a lot. Going into 9th Grade I'v been choosing electives that focus on being an engineer, but I have seen a lot of people who don't care about an engineer or a scientist. In fact, Im looked down on. The proof?

A lot of people don't believe scientists who say:
    "Evolution is a fact." They would rather believe God created everything and everything is going to be okay.
    "Global Climate Change is a fact." They would rather believe an oil company and their politicians.
    When was the last time you have seen scientists on primetime television competing or talking intellectually? Now compare that to the last sport you saw, or the last actor you saw.
    In fact, regular workers, rich people, and corporate workers are respected more than a scientist, at least here in Texas.

Am I wrong? What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by AppleyNO; August 19th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    You should be priviledged to experience bestmas.

"waah the screen is shaking, waah my delicate eyes".

Fuck sake.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Do you think America is Anti-intellectual?

Well, it depends on how you look at it. We have game shows that prove how smart the human is (Jeopardy). But yet if you look at it this way, we are the only country in the world, that doesn't use the Metric System. People say that America is dumb, and that's why we are not in the Metric System.
    Depends on how you look at it.
    "No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to makeup for our mistakes because in doing so... we can move from our past mistakes towards a brighter future."

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Red View Post
    Well, it depends on how you look at it. We have game shows that prove how smart the human is (Jeopardy). But yet if you look at it this way, we are the only country in the world, that doesn't use the Metric System. People say that America is dumb, and that's why we are not in the Metric System.
    Depends on how you look at it.
    Three countries use the Standard System.
    United States
    Lybia
    Syria

Fuck sake.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by AppleyNO View Post
    Three countries use the Standard System.
    United States
    Lybia
    Syria
    My science teacher lied to me...
    "No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to makeup for our mistakes because in doing so... we can move from our past mistakes towards a brighter future."

6. ISO #6

I bet he said industrial Country. ;-P
    Spoiler : fm history :
    FM 6: Commoner/Legionare(roman)/Legionare(Sin) FM8: Stan Investigator FM9:Yakov German(Sapper) FM10: Fm Rumpel Vigilante FM11: Renekton: Serial Killer FM12: Sandor: citizen = scum FM13: Wicket : Devourer FM14: Torynn: Andrew Ryan (GF)

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

like your comment is any better. Lol

Scientists are the cash cows for the industry. Nothing less nothing more and yes they deserve more respect and especially more money most of the time. But that's a general problem with people who work in the background.

Just google for really rich people. The most are not that scientific. They just know how to sell it.
    Last edited by CmG; August 19th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
    FM 6: Commoner/Legionare(roman)/Legionare(Sin) FM8: Stan Investigator FM9:Yakov German(Sapper) FM10: Fm Rumpel Vigilante FM11: Renekton: Serial Killer FM12: Sandor: citizen = scum FM13: Wicket : Devourer FM14: Torynn: Andrew Ryan (GF)

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by CmG View Post
    I bet he said industrial Country. ;-P
    My science teacher is female.

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

that's an Comedian omg!
    Last edited by CmG; August 19th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

12. ISO #12

Guys, why are you trolling this thread???
    I don't want this to be moved out of serious disc.
    Last edited by AppleyNO; August 19th, 2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Have to put a question mark at the end of a question >.<

Fuck sake.

13. ISO #13

I think i'm voicing a legitimate opinion.
    Sry bro, i can't take your country seriously since George W Bush happened
    twice lol
    Well my country's politics are even worse off, atleast the supposedly educated aren't running their mouths about bullshit they don't know jack about
    Also, science is totally legit, unlike religion in most cases. Voicing your religious views as a head of a country and even campaigning with it might be the most horrible idea a person has ever thought about. Also, since people like using the word rational, science is rational whereas religion is not. I'm not gonna stress this part anymore, but high grade politicians tend to forgot (or they got no idea what they are talking about, i tend to favor this opinion).
    Memes are also a totally acceptable form of showing your point of view if they imply serious thought behind something, and are not just used by brainless idiots to show how funny they try to be or smartassed they are.
    See also: Attachment 5605
    Since i doN't really care about politics, i don't even know whether or not the republicans or the democrats are favoring their slogan of "We're proud christians" or whatever they say.
    Oh, and using your own measuring system instead of the standardized metric/ SI system seems entirely far-fetched. It's just another way of how the american government has tried to cut ties with "mother" england since forever.
    I'm not gonna grade your TV shows since moret than 99% of the shows on the planet are just garbage to feed mindless zombies with and manipulate them into voting for you. Or make them into even bigger zombies.

14. ISO #14

I have been thinking about this a lot. Going into 9th Grade I'v been choosing electives that focus on being an engineer, but I have seen a lot of people who don't care about an engineer or a scientist. In fact, Im looked down on. The proof?

"Evolution is a fact." They would rather believe a vengeful wizard created everything and everything is going to be okay.
    "Global Climate Change is a fact." They would rather believe an oil company and their politicians.
    When was the last time you have seen scientists on primetime television competing or talking intellectually? Now compare that to the last sport you saw, or the last actor you saw.
    In fact, regular workers, rich people, and corporate workers are respected more than a scientist, at least here in Texas.

There's a difference between being anti-intellectual, and being just plain dumb.
    Your average American (especially American teenager) is just plain dumb.

There's a sort of de facto segregation of "smart" people in the lower levels of society. I guess the less intellectual people are intimidated by you, or else it's the same thing that has been the root of all prejudices since the beginning of time; simply being different.

Given the above, this is why you won't often see scientists on primetime television. TV channels and shows want to keep their ratings up, and they won't do that by airing things that your average American won't enjoy, in this case an intellectual discussion.

I'm from Texas myself, and I've never even heard of scientists or engineers being looked down upon. You must live in some backwater town with substandard education, or you're just referring to the other kids in your age group. Anyone with half a brain cell would know that intelligence is a desired trait. Those kids who would use "nerd" or "geek" as a derisive term are just sad. Those who try to use the Bible (or any other religious text) to disprove scientific theories are just plain wrong, even from a religious point of view.

You'll see that anti-intellectual prejudice gets much less common as you get older. I'd say it's mostly just prevalent amongst younger kids. Once you go off to college, or move to a community with a higher standard of education, you'll find that scientists are much more respected than you might think. Engineering and scientific careers are not looked down upon in the higher levels of society. Don't let the dumb kids get you down; continue to pursue your career, although be warned that it is not an easy one, and it is a highly competitive field.
    Last edited by Glip; August 19th, 2012 at 07:11 PM.

15. ISO #15

"Evolution is a fact." They would rather believe a vengeful wizard created everything and everything is going to be okay.

Les américains sont très stupide... Les canadiens sont très stupide aussi... Les français sont très intelligent!
    [17:52:24] Jordan VanDusen: QUICK BRENDAN IS ASLEEP
    [17:52:29] Jordan VanDusen: EVERYONE POST IN HERE
    [17:52:30] Jordan VanDusen: https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showth...-with-the-site
    Favorite Mods: Yayap & Raptorblaze <3

16. ISO #16

I think its more of a "I don't care" situation, not "I hate intellectuals" situation.

Anyways, advertisements are too powerful in American society.

Main point: Americans are SUPER shot-sighted. That is why you have problems.

Imagine America as a giant death robot controlled by too many people to make a decision.

Well, you get the leaders you deserve. That's the thing about democracy - You never get governed better than you deserve.
    Spoiler : FM History :
    FM8 - Bebe(Citizen) FM9-Prokofi(German Medic) FM10- CptKirk(Citizen) FM11 - Caitlyn(Abstergo Agent/Citizen)
    M-FM1-Veteran(Durante) M-FM2-Detective M-FM 4- Student(Nina Einstein) M-FM6- Armorsmith
    Misc: Why-FOM (M-FM 1), SFM: The Experiment: Hosted

17. ISO #17

I agree whole-heartedly. The U.S. is very anti-intellectual. Even the programs that supposedly promote education are really just trying to teach kids to memorize facts, not to think. Now there are liberal arts schools in the U.S. I grant that, but not enough. The age of major scientific advances was an epoch of the liberal education. A liberal education teaches people to think and learn. I am so lucky that my parents had me go through a liberal arts high school. You can ask me what year Newman wrote "The Idea of a University" and I can't tell you. Ask me what he thought about the implications of his first discourse in the modern era and I can discuss them with you.

I've thought about the turning away from the liberal education and it always comes after the industrial revolution. The people in charge wanted workers, not thinkers, so they influenced the government to form the public school system to acclimate children to doing one task over and over again. Like I said, they were not supposed to be thinkers.

Besides that, there's way too much pc crap going through academia. In universities, profesors aren't paid to teach, but to research. "Publish or perish" is a phrase that seems about right.

All in all I agree.

18. ISO #18

American is only anti-intellectual insofar as it is much more religious than other Western countries. And their religion has brainwashed them into thinking a lot of things they shouldn't and that don't even matter. Even the Pope says evolution is compatible with Christian doctrine, yet you still have people denying evolution on the basis that God created Man. Their religion has breeded ignorance of the scientific method into them, so much ignorance that they don't even know what official dogma says.

They just like to ignore the Pope (for Catholics) or the verses where it says such silly things like "Be a steward of the Earth" (i.e. don't pollute and give a hoot). Or they think Jesus actually said something about homosexuality.

Anyways, just live out high school, it'll be much better for you after that. Otherwise anti-intellectualism is high in high school because these people know that after that it's just them working up from a minimum wage job while you graduate from college into a 50-90k/y job as an engineer.

19. ISO #19

Please don't tell me this is another thread for rants against Christianity. I was willing to weigh in my opinions without mentioning it but I must say, those who disagree with Christian doctrine are those who are bringing it up.

I'd like to point out that this is not "Bash the Bible-Thumper" time. This is discussion time. I always think it funny that most of the people that science has to thank for major advances are strong Christians or strong Muslims. Religion has absolutely little to do with 'anti-intellectuals'. Sorry to ruin your run here, but I'm religious and I enjoy serious discussions about random topics solely for the betterment of the mind. Oh, that algebra that you're using was thought up by a Muslim guy a few hundred years ago. Do people know that a religious guy thought that up? No. Of course not. You are only seeing one side of the issue.

Now I can understand that you see only those who don't reason things out but use only dogma. I don't like those people either. But my argument is that instead of taking away religion, as some of you are implying, I want to add more liberal arts education to the school system.

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Please don't tell me this is another thread for rants against Christianity. I was willing to weigh in my opinions without mentioning it but I must say, those who disagree with Christian doctrine are those who are bringing it up.

I'd like to point out that this is not "Bash the Bible-Thumper" time. This is discussion time. I always think it funny that most of the people that science has to thank for major advances are strong Christians or strong Muslims. Religion has absolutely little to do with 'anti-intellectuals'. Sorry to ruin your run here, but I'm religious and I enjoy serious discussions about random topics solely for the betterment of the mind. Oh, that algebra that you're using was thought up by a Muslim guy a few hundred years ago. Do people know that a religious guy thought that up? No. Of course not. You are only seeing one side of the issue.

Now I can understand that you see only those who don't reason things out but use only dogma. I don't like those people either. But my argument is that instead of taking away religion, as some of you are implying, I want to add more liberal arts education to the school system.
    You can't say religion and technology do nothing and don't intertwine.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.

21. ISO #21

It wasn't meant to be bashing religion. It was more for the argument against Evolution.

Some other people here, however, like to bring up the topic the moment they hear something, like "Vengeful wizard". Changed. Sorry.
    Remember everyone, this is not about religion. This is what you think about America, is it Anti-Intellectual?

I have another question, How would you fix the School System? (Dust has inspired me)

Fuck sake.

22. ISO #22

Oh, that algebra that you're using was thought up by a Muslim guy a few hundred years ago. Do people know that a religious guy thought that up? No. Of course not. You are only seeing one side of the issue.
    Because you brought it up. This was part of Neal DeGrasse Tyson's speech at an Athiest Meeting. He talks about what you mentioned.
    Watch this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDAT98eEN5Q

Fuck sake.

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

i'm not saying every person with religious beliefs is a total nutcase. All i said that the USA politics are for some weird fucked up reason influenced by their religious views and try to force it on the common voting folk.
    Many genius inventors and philosophers were religious men, i never doubted any of them. But they didn't fkin say : algebra was sent to me by allah, now did they?
    Also vote for me, unless you want the non believer satanist democrat to be a senator.

26. ISO #26

Quote Originally Posted by LeaD View Post
    i'm not saying every person with religious beliefs is a total nutcase. All i said that the USA politics are for some weird fucked up reason influenced by their religious views and try to force it on the common voting folk.
    Many genius inventors and philosophers were religious men, i never doubted any of them. But they didn't fkin say : algebra was sent to me by allah, now did they?
    Also vote for me, unless you want the non believer satanist democrat to be a senator.
    It's one of the ways to get votes. The only nutjobs are the ignorant voters.

27. ISO #27

How would you fix the School System?
    Simple.
    Remove politicians

Granted, it's wayyyyy easier said than done
    Spoiler : FM History :
    FM8 - Bebe(Citizen) FM9-Prokofi(German Medic) FM10- CptKirk(Citizen) FM11 - Caitlyn(Abstergo Agent/Citizen)
    M-FM1-Veteran(Durante) M-FM2-Detective M-FM 4- Student(Nina Einstein) M-FM6- Armorsmith
    Misc: Why-FOM (M-FM 1), SFM: The Experiment: Hosted

28. ISO #28

29. ISO #29

Because you brought it up. This was part of Neal DeGrasse Tyson's speech at an Athiest Meeting. He talks about what you mentioned.
    Watch this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDAT98eEN5Q
    I'm glad about this. Although it isn't exactly mainstream (I hadn't heard about this talk and this stuff interests me), it goes to show that generalized arguments are stupid because they are based on stereotypes. Just because a person is religious doesn't make them stupid. The opposite is also true. Just because you're an non-religious person does not make you an intellectual. I've met idiot athiests and smart religious people. But then again, arguments based on anecdotes aren't the best.

Basically don't blame religion for America's anti-intellectualism. There are a variety of reasons for it and people, not religious organizations nor athiest organizations, are responsible for this problem.

30. ISO #30

the average IQ of India is higher. fact.
    G: 15 | W: 13 | MVP: 2
    S-FM Casino: Town (WIN) S-FM BSDL:Detective (WIN)S-FM PCS: Subject X (Arsonist) (WIN/MVP) S-FM Mani: Citizen (WIN) FM-XV Rebel/Haunter (WIN) S-FM Prelude: doctor (WIN/MVP) S-FM HotD: (town/loss) S-FM L&D: Lookout (WIN) S-FM BL: Framer (WIN) M-FM XIII Vigilante/Subject XVI (WIN/MVRIP) S-FM SE: Mafioso: (WIN) S-FM Flashmob 1: Doctor (Win) Fmob 2: SK (Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda) S-FM BT: Sheriff (WIN) S-FM Websites: Citizen (WIN)