What is the point of Triads?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

What is the point of Triads?

Im just returning to the game after a few months off and I found a whole new class of roles - the triads. I thought this would be super cool; a new class with great new innovative ways to play. Instead it is a literal copy-paste of the mafia, except it wins in ties.

So my question is: What is the point of triads? As far as I can tell all they do is make a new class of roles that if you happen to luck into you get a slight advantage over mafia. In addition, you end up eating roles from the towns roster (usually), so you give the mafia (and, by extension, yourself) an extra advantage. How does this make for better gameplay?

Edit: As a slightly related question, is there anyway of telling if a triad or a mafia killed a player based on death description or even sounds?

Edit2: So I just played a game as spy and it turns out the spy cant actually tell the difference between mafia and triad, it just says mafia for everything. So not only is it just a plain copy-paste, its a lazy copy-paste? Whose brilliant idea was this? NOTE: Seems Im wrong about this, triads might have just been silent.
    Last edited by fuzzymonkey; November 20th, 2013 at 10:09 PM.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: What is the point of Triads?

So during my spy game I realized that the spies main skill, seeing who talks at night, is now useless because when the mafia/triad says "lets kill 4 tonight" you cant actually tell if 4 is innocent, you just know he is not one of them (whoever them is, you dont know), but could still be the other guys (again, you dont know).

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymonkey View Post
    Edit2: So I just played a game as spy and it turns out the spy cant actually tell the difference between mafia and triad, it just says mafia for everything. So not only is it just a plain copy-paste, its a lazy copy-paste? Whose brilliant idea was this?
    This is patently false. You just played a game with silent triad.

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Well a smart mafia uses a janitor to hide their identity from a spy:
    (N3 and janitor is out of cleanings)Mafia 1 Says lets kill 4, Janitor targets 4 who is mafia, spy receives feedback that the mafia targeted 4 and reads the text clearing 4 of being mafia (although he is mafia).

As a spy I usually look at how people type for mafia leads. The word "your" and "alot" can be helpful.. Either way it still has value in a 2 mafia setup.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkLiveLife View Post
    Well a smart mafia uses a janitor to hide their identity from a spy:
    (N3 and janitor is out of cleanings)Mafia 1 Says lets kill 4, Janitor targets 4 who is mafia, spy receives feedback that the mafia targeted 4 and reads the text clearing 4 of being mafia (although he is mafia).

As a spy I usually look at how people type for mafia leads. The word "your" and "alot" can be helpful.. Either way it still has value in a 2 mafia setup.
    That janitor situation wouldn't work because it says
    "the mafia went to kill x"
    And
    "the mafia visited x last night"
    Janitor is good to trick spy into thinking that a mafia is non-mafia, but not that a mafia was attacked.
    edit: also, janitor can't target mafia once all their charges are used.
    Last edited by Cryptonic; November 21st, 2013 at 07:20 AM.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    That janitor situation wouldn't work because it says
    "the mafia went to kill x"
    And
    "the mafia visited x last night"
    Janitor is good to trick spy into thinking that a mafia is non-mafia, but not that a mafia was attacked.
    edit: also, janitor can't target mafia once all their charges are used.
    I suppose I couldn't have been more off in that statement. I thought its how I was fooled before but with what you just said there's no way.

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

It is the chinese mafia that people love to base their saves around on.
    I haven't played a save that was JUST mafia, town and neutrals in a while.
    You'll either find a save with both triad and mafia or a triad setup.
    Triad get the downside of every mafia v triad game in all saves. All that really makes a difference is they win ties if they even make it that far.
    I still love that they were added though. It is fun, as a GF to try to kill the DH, find that he is night immune, then claim sheriff, get the DH lynched, and get a doc on you easy.
    MrJazzHandz