1. ISO #1
    Ganelon

Re: Black Lives Matter

Why can’t it just be ‘Lives Matter?’

2. ISO #2

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    Why can’t it just be ‘Lives Matter?’
    Why do we say "save the rainforest", shouldn't we save all forests?

Why are there foundations for prostate cancer? Don't all cancers matter?

If your house catches on fire, and the firefighters come, would you tell them to spray all the other houses down too because all houses matter?

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    If you feel the need to respond to "Black Lives Matter" with "Lives Matter" or "All Lives Matter" then you are completely missing the point of "Black Lives Matter".
    Saying Black Lives Matter comes with the cost of alienating support from other minority groups. Well-intentioned, but it sets this racial group apart from Chinese, Koreans, Indians, Malaysians, Columbians, and whatever other groups. We are people, so treat people well.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by secondpassing View Post
    Saying Black Lives Matter comes with the cost of alienating support from other minority groups. Well-intentioned, but it sets this racial group apart from Chinese, Koreans, Indians, Malaysians, Columbians, and whatever other groups. We are people, so treat people well.
    It's a divisive choice in phrasing. Divisive language tends to get elevated. A lot like "privilege". I never liked that phrase, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    It's a divisive choice in phrasing. Divisive language tends to get elevated. A lot like "privilege". I never liked that phrase, either.
    ME TOO!!!!
    i like "advantage" a lot more. like if ur rich, u have an "advantage." uwu

bleh. asians (some,groups UwU) have an advantage and whites have an advantage, but it'snot like they don't havetheir own struggles... i'm likethe poorest asian ik lmao. so i'd be rly pissed if ppl called me privileged.

OWO

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    ME TOO!!!!
    i like "advantage" a lot more. like if ur rich, u have an "advantage." uwu

bleh. asians (some,groups UwU) have an advantage and whites have an advantage, but it'snot like they don't havetheir own struggles... i'm likethe poorest asian ik lmao. so i'd be rly pissed if ppl called me privileged.

OWO
    While some use that term to describe socioeconomic differences, the real meaning is the advantages/disadvantages of simply having a different skin color.

It’s undeniable that a shit ton of people are stupid and bigoted. Hence a person that looks different is naturally going to be at a general disadvantage in life.

I would argue that in the hierarchy of bigotry, they view blacks as the absolute lowest form of humanity, and generally hate less the closer a group is to white.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

8. ISO #8
    Ganelon

+1.

9. ISO #9

It doesn't say "Only Black Lives Matter" or "Black Lives Matter and No Others"

Have you ever found out why they are saying "Black Lives Matter" ?
    President Fielzanks walks up to his stage, preparing his n1 speech. In front of him, his two cronies MM and David stood. In front of him, his immaculately written n1 speech was prepared. 'Gentleman, what is the soul of capitalism?', he asked his small audience. 'Money?', MM guessed. 'Waifus?', David asked. 'No' Fielz replied, disappointed in his trash scumteam .
    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Naz would never forget the Chik-Fil-A Sauce

10. ISO #10

I encourage you to ponder on the phrase from the point of view from someone living in the US and being black. Black individuals feel that their lives DON'T matter. So when a black individual says "MY life matters. Black lives matter", and you take offense at it or respond with "all lives matter" you are downplaying their plea and their cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

11. ISO #11

Good point. It does make it more effective and catchy. Probably wouldn't have caught on otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    I encourage you to ponder on the phrase from the point of view from someone living in the US and being black. Black individuals feel that their lives DON'T matter. So when a black individual says "MY life matters. Black lives matter", and you take offense at it or respond with "all lives matter" you are downplaying their plea and their cause.
    Being Black while living in the States comes with its challenges, police and judge discrimination is also very hard to deal with. I don't disagree with that. I also didn't take offense at it, and I am allowed to say what I believe to be a more accurate statement. For context, I'm of Asian descent and have had people follow me around in stores and whilst at work, though likely not to the degree of scrutiny a black person would have in many neighborhoods.

What I said is also true though. The word choice in Black Lives Matter has not won the support of the Asian community. This is likely also because some movements mainly for Black equality have lead to the destruction of Asian property.

12. ISO #12

Good point. It does make it more effective and catchy. Probably wouldn't have caught on otherwise.

Being Black while living in the States comes with its challenges, police and judge discrimination is also very hard to deal with. I don't disagree with that. I also didn't take offense at it, and I am allowed to say what I believe to be a more accurate statement. For context, I'm of Asian descent and have had people follow me around in stores and whilst at work, though likely not to the degree of scrutiny a black person would have in many neighborhoods.

What I said is also true though. The word choice in Black Lives Matter has not won the support of the Asian community. This is likely also because some movements mainly for Black equality have lead to the destruction of Asian property.
    why should the movement need to be about or include all minorities?
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

13. ISO #13

why should the movement need to be about or include all minorities?
    I think it would raise total public opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by naz View Post
    That isn't true, it may have not won the support of you, your family, or your local community but Yellow Peril Supports Black Power/Black Lives Matter is true of some people I know, and others I don't:

Spoiler : Images take room on a thread :

^
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/yello...-bla_b_7781586

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...ows-solidarity

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA53mNulIxu/

Black property is also being destroyed. I saw news that a black firefighter who used his life savings to open a bar in Minneapolis had his bar burned down in May.

Property can be replaced. Lives cannot.
    I'm sure some Asians support the movement. And I don't have a statistic on how successful the movement has about garnering Asian support, but I found a video and tried to find those of Asian descent.
    Spoiler : My local protest :

I think I found one Indian at 0:10
    Now granted the sample size is small, but the city I live in (Portland) is estimated to have ~7% of Asian descent ~9.4% Latino (number is probably higher now) So in a crowd of 200ish people I should find 14 Asians.

I think every protest will have some property damage, I'm not denying that. But property damage from a group of people supporting a, at least at face value, a non-inclusive movement onto a different group has consequences on public opinion. It's anecdotal but a family member 1 of mine lived through the destruction of the four olds, forcing him to be a refugee. He finds it sad, but holds no grudge. An Asian movement for Asian people. Another family member of mine had a restaurant that sold fried rice near Koreatown. It was destroyed in 1992 riots. Guess what family member 1 tells me every so often?
    Yeah. "Black people are dumb, lazy, and can't do anything for themselves."

14. ISO #14

The word choice in Black Lives Matter has not won the support of the Asian community. This is likely also because some movements mainly for Black equality have lead to the destruction of Asian property.
    That isn't true, it may have not won the support of you, your family, or your local community but Yellow Peril Supports Black Power/Black Lives Matter is true of some people I know, and others I don't:

^

Black property is also being destroyed. I saw news that a black firefighter who used his life savings to open a bar in Minneapolis had his bar burned down in May.

President Fielzanks walks up to his stage, preparing his n1 speech. In front of him, his two cronies MM and David stood. In front of him, his immaculately written n1 speech was prepared. 'Gentleman, what is the soul of capitalism?', he asked his small audience. 'Money?', MM guessed. 'Waifus?', David asked. 'No' Fielz replied, disappointed in his trash scumteam .
    Naz would never forget the Chik-Fil-A Sauce

15. ISO #15

Quote Originally Posted by naz View Post

^

yellowperil isn't a movement right????uVu

16. ISO #16

i KNEW it. uWu

Do u live in place w asian commuwunity??uVu or r u like the only one there lol

17. ISO #17

MEH. these two have it way betterthan blacks. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

also ur avatar is so cool uwu. LOT BETTER THAN THE CUTE CAT THINGIE U STOLE TO MAKE URSELF LOOKMORE TOWNIE!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

18. ISO #18

Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    MEH. these two have it way betterthan blacks. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

also ur avatar is so cool uwu. LOT BETTER THAN THE CUTE CAT THINGIE U STOLE TO MAKE URSELF LOOKMORE TOWNIE!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    also, r u oneof those groups uwu. odd how u put those two first.OWO

19. ISO #19
    Ganelon

I seriously doubt it’s well intentioned, if we’re talking about the movement. How is asking white people to kneel and renounce their white privilege well intentioned? I’ve seen that happening and honestly it’s disgusting. You can’t automatically assume someone is racist just due to their skin colour.

Besides, in claiming there is systemic racism you are failing to see the forest for the trees. The US, as a whole, is a remarkably tolerant country; it has to be, or Obama would never have become President in 2012. Is there racism in the US? Possibly but it is by no means anywhere as problematic as people on the left are describing it. I am quite certain the NL is more racist, although we are also a fairly tolerant country, especially when compared to the rest of Europe.

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    I seriously doubt it’s well intentioned, if we’re talking about the movement. How is asking white people to kneel and renounce their white privilege well intentioned? I’ve seen that happening and honestly it’s disgusting. You can’t automatically assume someone is racist just due to their skin colour.

Besides, in claiming there is systemic racism you are failing to see the forest for the trees. The US, as a whole, is a remarkably tolerant country; it has to be, or Obama would never have become President in 2012. Is there racism in the US? Possibly but it is by no means anywhere as problematic as people on the left are describing it. I am quite certain the NL is more racist, although we are also a fairly tolerant country, especially when compared to the rest of Europe.
    You're right. You can claim relatively that the US is a remarkably tolerant country. I would say it is more tolerant than South Africa, India, China, Japan, uh.. Columbia, and Panama. Systemic racism is a thing though. Statistics show that the US is racist. The courts, businesses, leadership positions are all areas that can show the US is racist. Police brutality is a thing too. Police officers do horrible things to White people and Yellow People too, but they do more horrible things to Black people.

Why? You should ask. I would say being Black is correlated to being dangerous, which is true, but only tells part of the story. Black people are more likely to commit violent crimes because they were more likely to be born into a poorer family, a family whose parents were divorced, to be related to violent individuals, to receive less education, to live further to public transportation, to live where it is expected that you will think of yourself as a victim blah blah blah list goes on. Cops are human too. They will want to protect themselves. All of us will profile the people around us to figure out who is dangerous and who is not. That profiling is especially important to the police so they may prepare themselves against violent encounters. A step to easing these tensions would really be to say "hello" to the police officers that you come across, maybe thank them for their service, chat them up or buy them a coffee. Kind of the whole point of my original comment.

I don't think most of the people involved or posting Black Lives Matter want White people to kneel.