So, I became interested in timekeeping. Specifically, timekeeping on the planet Mars.

When it comes to devising a day (or, a 'sol', as it is known on Mars) comfortable and familiar to humans, we have an easy task - a day on Mars is almost as large as an Earthen day, being longer by only approximately 35 minutes.

The issue lies in creating a calendar for the planet Mars.

To start off, the Martian year is significantly longer than the terrestrial year, being about 687 days long (686.96, to be exact). Some have attempted to address this issue by dividing the Martian year into a winter year and a summer year.

Others have tried to use a single year, dividing it into 28-day months (which leaves us with about 24-25 months). Now, I think learning 12 extra month names and adapting to them is extremely difficult for an adult human. Which is why I dislike this system of timekeeping.

A possible solution would be to divide the year into the 12 months we all know and love, but to lengthen each month by about 26 days. The problem with this solution is the fact that the Martian seasons aren't equal in length at all.

What do you think? Imagine you were a settler on Mars. Which system would you prefer?