Stop deleting save slots after updates
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

Re: Stop deleting save slots after updates

The reason that the deletion is necessary is because as new options are made and adjusted, the way the array table used to store data is read changes. Which means that the save wouldn't come out the same way after any update to the array table, so you'd have to re-create it ANYWAYS. Therefore, it's the lesser of two evils to make someone re-create their save, instead of play a bunch of saves with bad settings for a few days.

3. ISO #3

I need 10 minutes to setup my AAA drama generator save.
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
    The reason that the deletion is necessary is because as new options are made and adjusted, the way the array table used to store data is read changes. Which means that the save wouldn't come out the same way after any update to the array table, so you'd have to re-create it ANYWAYS. Therefore, it's the lesser of two evils to make someone re-create their save, instead of play a bunch of saves with bad settings for a few days.
    Thats called backward compatability, just default the new settings, or - atleast hash the settings and default whatever new so we can import or export saves easilly

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Backwards compatability is very difficult to do. It's already in the game, but only works for SotDs and is somewhat buggy (nothing I can do about that). It's disabled for save slots because the game has no idea what version of the game your save slot was really made with; any time you save the slot for any reason it defaults to reporting the latest version.

As for making an import/export hash, it's theoretically possible but a pain in the ass to implement.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by Dark.Revenant View Post
    Backwards compatability is very difficult to do. It's already in the game, but only works for SotDs and is somewhat buggy (nothing I can do about that). It's disabled for save slots because the game has no idea what version of the game your save slot was really made with; any time you save the slot for any reason it defaults to reporting the latest version.

As for making an import/export hash, it's theoretically possible but a pain in the ass to implement.
    You know what version u are when u -save.
    So why not hash this? "Save slot created, heres ur hash" The version is not important, only the settings - just hash them and for every wrong value - pick the default, for every wrong key - skip it.
    Even save it as a name-value dictionary.

For example, i save and get a hash, then u decide to remove the "killing roles" for neutral, and add another role.

Algorithm:
    1. Do default values
    2. Translate hash, for every key
    2.1 if key doesnt exists (for example, key can be "sherif-detect cult") then
    2.2. Skip to next key, else
    2.3. Take out the value, if value not valid - skip (already have default value there)
    2.4. If valid, set the value

Neutral-killing roles not exist anymore, so skip.
    New role added - not exist in the hash, will default

Thats it, how cant the engine give Abillity to do this simple Algorithm?

9. ISO #9

Because I have to write the entire database library MYSELF. I have to create the hashing and transmission functions MYSELF. I have to make ALL of the binary data modification and packing functions MYSELF. I have to do the bugfixing and optimization MYSELF. I have to research the language and do R&D on bank structure MYSELF. I have to update, in another database, all of the various changes I do to every role to maintain this compatability... MYSELF.

It's a simple algorithm if you're using a ready-made library or are using SQL. It's not simple at all in Galaxy. And it eats up time later down the line even if I already finished it.

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13