Cult needs more roles?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Cult needs more roles?

In my opinion at least, cult is the second weakest side to win as in the game (Arson being the worst). This I feel is because, cult is basically just masons only they arent town aligned. The only advantage of masons is they can confirm each other as town. Witch doctor is cool, but imo cult should really feel like its own side with its own roles, but atm it feels like it is kinda like a team of citis against the powerful mafia and town
    Quack

Quack Quack

2. ISO #2

Re: Cult needs more roles?

Cult is, actually, outstandingly OP.
    It's maximum size is, usually, 4- this is a large voting block. Then you factor in Witch Doctor.
    It regenerates as it dies, such that I have seen 9 people win as cult in a single game- this was before Witch Doctor.
    It can easily recruit proven town, Mayor, Marshall, anything, and pick up confirmed town points.
    This ^ point makes it such that whenever a cult is in the game people begin to question confirmed towns the next day. No one is safe.
    As a single Cultist it could easily die to a Serial Killer or the Mafia, but its night action is the most powerful in the game. -1 enemy, +1 ally.

I build my Cult to have 2 night cool downs, because frankly even having a single night between is OP.

I would like to see more Cult Power Roles, and hope we can figure that out, but Cult is ANYTHING but weak.

3. ISO #3

I have never seen a cult with a max size bigger than 3, and by the time their voting power would really kick in most of them are already dead

At least to me thats how it seems. In the past like 30~ games I have not seen a single cult win
    Quack

Quack Quack

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Creedkingsx View Post
    You should play with good people.
    Ranked is dead nowadays...
    We are opposed to the line of compromise with imperialism. At the same time, we cannot tolerate the practice of only shouting against imperialism, but, in actual fact, being afraid to fight it. Kim Il Sung
    [CENTER]S-FM: Bus Drivers, S-FM: Trust, S-FM: Double Killers, S-FM: Double Killers Too, S-FM: Heart of the Swarm [COLOR="#FF0000"]HOST[SIZE=1]

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

only time i see cult NOT win is if the starting cult keeps hitting non recruitable targets, or they die early b4 their numbers grow. not only does recruiting give +1 ally -1 enemy, but when a cult member gets killed, its hard to tell if he was original cultist or converted, and if converted what was his original role? makes it much easier for remaining cult to lie about their roles, much liek how a janitor allows fellow maf to claim town roles with no one to counterclaim them

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    only time i see cult NOT win is if the starting cult keeps hitting non recruitable targets, or they die early b4 their numbers grow. not only does recruiting give +1 ally -1 enemy, but when a cult member gets killed, its hard to tell if he was original cultist or converted, and if converted what was his original role? makes it much easier for remaining cult to lie about their roles, much liek how a janitor allows fellow maf to claim town roles with no one to counterclaim them
    I heard Coroners are useless >.>

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    You or me? Because coroner is very powerful. Especially in clue game
    Steps to murdering a Cult:
    1: Flip Coroner. -This is the hardest part-
    2: Make sure you don't get recruited.
    3: Let the original Cultist die. -If you can't figure this out then just wait for any Cultist to die- Some Cultists will be stupid and reveal if they were the original or not, and sometimes those who were recruited won't update their last will so if they were an investigator for example they will still have the results in their LW, or sometimes they might even be stupid enough to say the night they got recruited, but hey, its a pub... Use this to deduce which dead Cultist is original. Also if you see random visits in his actions, yet he took one night one then he is most likely original, or got recruited N1, and the second Cultist is almost just as good as the first. If he had a long line of actions, then they suddenly stop, and maybe one or two pops in randomly, the night before the night he did nothing is the night he got recruited.
    4: Learn everyone he recruited.
    5: Kill those people and learn who they recruited, unless they're Mafia, or possibly a Mason, they'll be a Cultist. -Unless of course there was a Doc or BG who can vouch for them- Lynching the Mafia is good, and the Mason might have a partner who can vouch for him, if he doesn't, pm him the name of a Cultist and have him bludgeon him that night, if he is bludgeoned, then he's a Mason, if he isn't, lynch the Mason claimer.
    6: Continue until all Cultists are dead.

Extra Info: If there is a dead Witch Doctor, then check every one who claimed healed at day, and see who he visited. Cultists typically claim they were healed when saved by a Witch Doctor because it makes the Town assume they aren't Mafia. Also it gives the town the impression that there is an extra doctor in the town so the Witch Doctor can have a safe claim.

Steps for playing against a Coroner as the Cult:
    1: Don't let the original Cultist die.
    2: Recruit him. He can be even more dangerous to you than the ML, and you can actually get rid of him. Just make sure you do it before he reveals you, otherwise he'll get a Doc/BG on you and then you're fucked.
    3: Claim Bus Driver when the Cultist that recruited you dies. Claim you bussed yourself with an already dead person that night you were converted BEFORE the Coroner claims who was recruited. Typically the town will lynch whoever claimed second, like in cc situations they will 9/10 times lynch the second claimer and say that they will lynch the other one if the lynched is proven to have told the truth. This means you will die and not get anything out of it.

Extra Info: Recruiting him is your best bet. If you get lucky and recruit him after he has outed some of you then you can easily have him out random people as Cultist and when they don't flip Cultist, have him say, "Oh, he must have not been recruited when he visited him. Oh well..." and the Town will likely stay with this.

In my opinion.
    Coroner>Cultist

Coroner is not weak as some people like to say. He can be the most effective role in eliminating the Cult.
    Last edited by TheDarkestLight; June 10th, 2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Extra Info
    None can stand against the coming Darkness...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYCS6k1IOA
    Sometimes, the light can come from the darkest places...

13. ISO #13

Problem with coroner vs cult is
    1) a cultist must be dead
    2) only one cultist has to target for each recruit
    3) it is unknown if the last target of cult was conversion or his original ability

Compared to sheriff/invest who can positively identify cultists just by investigating them, I would say coroner is a far lesser threat.

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by maccabbe View Post
    Problem with coroner vs cult is
    1) a cultist must be dead
    2) only one cultist has to target for each recruit
    3) it is unknown if the last target of cult was conversion or his original ability

Compared to sheriff/invest who can positively identify cultists just by investigating them I would say coroner is a far lesser threat.
    I covered this. Notice how I edited to tell you how to determine when they got recruited.
    Also, killing a single Cultist isn't that hard. I have seen quite a few Cultists killed early in most of my Cult games.
    None can stand against the coming Darkness...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYCS6k1IOA
    Sometimes, the light can come from the darkest places...

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

Quote Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
    You never see Coroner and having a confirmed Coroner guarantees a repick.
    Coroners are one of the most underrated roles in Mafia.

The ability to see who your target visited is EXTREMELY USEFUL, especially when the late-game comes by.

When used on a Mafia member, it allows you to pin down who isn't a member of the mob, and narrow down your choices accordingly.

I lied about the underrated part.

The Coroner is completely overpowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by MintBerry Crunch View Post
    I think the deadliest is Spy, he is next to you at night and you don't even know it, give him some piano wire and he is an assassin.

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

Quote Originally Posted by MrMostache View Post
    Coroner was designed for games where dead roles are not revealed. Knowing who your dead target visited is a fraction of Spy ability.
    And Spy is incredibly over powered.
    Coroner is not quite as strong as Spy in that category, but can be used to get information Spy can't get.