Favorite Game of Thrones characters? (Spoilers)
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Favorite Game of Thrones characters? (Spoilers)

Now I've finished "A Dance with Dragons" and I've realized that part of the meaning of life is for George R.R Martin to complete the last two books: "The Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring". He's such an effective author that most of the main characters are too damn awesome and hilarious, but here are my top three:

1) Aeron "Damphair" Greyjoy: used to be an Iron Fleet captain until Stannis Barratheon smashed the Iron Fleet, and Aeron almost drowned but washed ashore and was taken as a Lannister prisoner. Once released, he was no longer a positive individual who liked to sing and drink, but he became a ghostly man, with long black hair covered in seaweed and grim features. At the beginning of his chapter, he's initiating a boy into the Drowned God's service by drowning him in the ocean, and then performing CPR as the "kiss of life". Here's a badass quote:

"Euron is the elder brother..." began the maester.

Aeron silenced him with a look. In little fishing towns and great stone keeps alike such a look from Damphair would make maids feel faint and send children shrieking to their mothers, and it was more than sufficient to quell the chain-neck thrall. "Euron is elder," the priest said, "but Victarion is more godly."

2) Jaime Lannister: when you read later on in the books about him, he comes off as such a good character that you forget he crippled Bran Stark by shoving him out a window. I'm sure they'll have to face eachother in the end. People call him the "Kingslayer" for breaking his oath and killing the man he swore to the Gods he'd protect, but Jaime also had to stand outside King Aerys' bedchamber while he raped and abused Queen Rhaella. If Jaime hadn't killed The Mad King, he would have destroyed the city in various planned wildfire explosions, killing millions of people trapped in the city. Jaime Lannister saved the realm from a genocidal maniac who was about to light them all on fire, and they revile him for it.

3) Jon Snow: he eventually becomes Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, and then you realize that he is starting to serve more of a purpose for the realm as a whole, as the threat beyond the Wall isn't just something in Old Nan's tales. With no wise maester to advise or counsel him, and at the same time hosting Stannis Barratheon and his army, he has to balance integration of the wildlings into the realm and the peace terms they must agree to, dealing with dissent among his Black Brothers, and he faces many other challenges including the coming of the Long Winter, and how to feed over a thousand starving wildlings.

But the most striking thing for me, is that since most of the Starks are dead and the surviving children are scattered, Stannis Barratheon offers Jon Snow the seat of Winterfell if he leaves the Night's Watch. Jon Snow would no longer be deemed a bastard, and would be formally acknowledged as a full-blooded Stark. But he reflects as a child how he wished he could one day have Winterfell, but then realized what being a bastard meant. He wonders to himself if he had "wished" all the Starks dead so he would be next in line. But I'm sure the realm could use Jon Snow's leadership on the Wall just as much.

2. ISO #2

Re: Favorite Game of Thrones characters? (Spoilers)

Dolorous Edd
    I love oops

Spoiler : :

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▒▁▁▁▁▁▒▒░░░▒░░░░░░▒░░░░░▒░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▁▐█▁▐░▒▒▁▐█▁░░░
    ▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▌░░░░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▀▀░░░░▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄██▓▓▌▀░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▄▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▄▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by LeaD View Post
    Tyrions personal guard dude, whatever he's called.
    Well i've only watched the series so i got no in-depth character insight.
    Bronn
    I love oops

Spoiler : :

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▒▁▁▁▁▁▒▒░░░▒░░░░░░▒░░░░░▒░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▁▐█▁▐░▒▒▁▐█▁░░░
    ▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▌░░░░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▀▀░░░░▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄██▓▓▌▀░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▄▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▄▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by LeaD View Post
    Tyrions personal guard dude, whatever he's called.
    Well i've only watched the series so i got no in-depth character insight.
    In the end, Bronn is a character that never really changes. He's a sellsword in the beginning, and a sellsword in the end. That should only half-spoil it for you :P

And Dolorous Edd...

When Edd caught sight of the ragged band of wildlings, he pursed his lips and gave the giant a long look. “Might need some butter to slide that one through the tunnel, m’lord. Shall I send someone to the larder?”

“Oh, I think he’ll fit. Unbuttered.”

So he did … on hands and knees, crawling. A big boy, this one. Fourteen feet, at least. Even bigger than Mag the Mighty.

George R.R Martin is somewhat able to convince you of most of his POV characters being "mostly good", but the one that is truly unforgiveable is Cersei Barratheon. Her only redeeming attributes (the ones that make you understand her crimes) are that her dead husband, Robert Barratheon, killed she prince she wanted to be married to, Rhaegar Targaryen - during the Battle of the Trident. Robert was often drunk and would hurt her when in bed. Also it was a loveless marriage, as he didn't really want to be with her either, because on their first wedding knight, Robert whispers "Lyanna".

But Cersei also tolerated the behaviour of her brat of a son, Joffrey, and eventually let HIM rule over her. She has power as queen-regent to keep him in-line, but she instead lets this stupid boy Mad King (he doesn't understand when people compare them) do whatever he wants with his kingdom. Sansa always wished she was betrothed to young Tommen instead.

Isn't it funny how the realm refuses to just name her Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, but the next son must take the seat instead? Let's not forget that these are also bastards of incest (not even Jon Snow was a bastard of incest, so he's more noble than even Joffrey).

When Cersei rules over Tommen, this is where she starts to destroy the realm further, by making sure that Tommen doesn't read any of the parchment she gives him; the little boy finds the stamping of the wax seal the best part of a king's duties.

6. ISO #6

I should throw this one in, because it's so awesome lol, Tyrion the Kinslayer talks to Jaime the Kingslayer!

Jaime handed him the ring of keys. "I gave you the truth. You owe me the same. Did you do it? Did you kill him?"

The question was another knife, twisting in his guts. "Are you sure you want to know?" asked Tyrion. "Joffrey would have been a worse king than Aerys ever was. He stole his father's dagger and gave it to a footpad to slit the throat of Brandon Stark, did you know that?"

"I . . . I thought he might have."

"Well, a son takes after his father. Joff would have killed me as well, once he came into his power. For the crime of being short and ugly, of which I am so conspicuously guilty."

"You have not answered my question."

"You poor stupid blind crippled fool. Must I spell every little thing out for you? Very well. Cersei is a lying whore, she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know. And I am the monster they all say I am. Yes, I killed your vile son." He made himself grin. It must have been a hideous sight to see, there in the torchlit gloom.

Jaime turned without a word and walked away.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMan View Post
    Stannis gonna get all up in Snow's grill if Snow turns out to be Azor Ahai
    This wouldn't explain how Stannis Barratheon can truly see things in the fires he looks at. I've read the theories about who Azor Azai really is, and it could be Snow, or Victarion, or yes, even Stannis.

When you turn to the books, you realize that HBO got so lazy. The genius of the books is they show a LITTLE bit of magic in the books, and the very least of that we see in the books is the GLOW of Lightbringer, Stannis' magic sword that's cool to the touch. But in the show, he pulls out a crappy burning iron sword, and in the Battle of the Blackwater, it's dark in the night. HBO might as well say that Stannis doesn't worship Rh'llor.