Racist names (yes this again)
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. ISO #1

Racist names (yes this again)

I see that the mods started taking action against racist names and posts in the arcade game.

Has something changed?

Recently there was a discussion about this: previous thread (which Voss closed because someone posted something offtopic, instead of doing what the rules say, so welcome to this new thread..)

As far as I remember and understand - the consensus in that thread was that yeah racist names suck but there's nothing we can do about it because it's not against the rules technically.

Did I misunderstand or misremember the previous consensus? Did I get the wrong impression that now racist names and stuff get watchlisted/banned? Or something changed?

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Racist names (yes this again)

I honestly don’t care anymore and am just following the general trend the U.S. is going in. This site is becoming another Pokemon Showdown, I know because I just received my first infraction and am about to get banned.

I don’t give a shit, mods just do your fucking thing pls

I don’t know why it’s so hard for ppl to accept that others have different values. Fuck this thread and the shitstorm it will cause. Fuck Marshmallow Marsh for negative-repping me because “I’m anti-politics yet am aggressive on that very matter.”

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I wonder if this isn't a problem on Blizzard's end rather than ours. In that, SC2Mafia could have a problem with Blizzard directly if they didn't ban these people.
    this has nothing to do with blizzard lmao. just aami, mostache and auwt.

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    I honestly don’t care anymore and am just following the general trend the U.S. is going in. This site is becoming another Pokemon Showdown, I know because I just received my first infraction and am about to get banned.

I don’t know why it’s so hard for ppl to accept that others have different values. Fuck this thread and the shitstorm it will cause. Fuck Marshmallow Marsh for negative-repping me because “I’m anti-politics yet am aggressive on that very matter.”
    You know it might be better if you calmed down a little. People on this site (which, the problem is with the entire Internet, not just this site in particular) aren't out to get you specifically; there is some malice involved but most of it is just plain old stupidity.

8. ISO #8

I wonder if this isn't a problem on Blizzard's end rather than ours. In that, SC2Mafia could have a problem with Blizzard directly if they didn't ban these people.
    Because the "muted" users can talk in this map but can't in others?
    Other than that, it's just another one of 1000+ other SC2 maps.

9. ISO #9

Infraction for what??

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Because the "muted" users can talk in this map but can't in others?
    Other than that, it's just another one of 1000+ other SC2 maps.
    I'm just wondering. Blizzard might not be too happy to have "racism" in their game. Honestly you never know. What if someone gets reported for using a racist name, but we say "that's not against the rules", and then they report the map - and say that we are racist? Maybe SC2Mafia could get "banned" from the Arcade. We're already breaking Terms of Service. Imagine if we broke Terms of Service and supported systemic racism on top of it! lol

11. ISO #11

You know it might be better if you calmed down a little. People on this site (which, the problem is with the entire Internet, not just this site in particular) aren't out to get you specifically; there is some malice involved but most of it is just plain old stupidity.
    Nah dude I’ve a right to be pissed, and I’ll keep on being a jackass just to spite the assholes in Skwirl (no longer publicly on this site) who bullied us both for about a year but are fucking hunky-dory on this site because they’re all fucking moderators

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Nah dude I’ve a right to be pissed, and I’ll keep on being a jackass just to spite the assholes in Skwirl (no longer publicly on this site) who bullied us both for about a year but are fucking hunky-dory on this site because they’re all fucking moderators
    They're just idiots. :shrug:
    If you let those kinds of things get to you, what are you gonna do when something truly tragic happens?
    Besides. Everyone trolls a little, but if you try to see things from "their" perspective - to be honest, some people just have so much noise in their head that they have to "prove" they're not racist by calling you a racist. I don't think it's totally malicious. And even if it is, what good is it to take it so seriously? If you just think of people as idiots first and foremost and only then assholes, even if you're wrong, who cares? At least you're not letting some dumb thing someone said on the Internet get to you needlessly.

14. ISO #14

gEnEraL BeLLiGeReNce because I attacked people from Skwirl who have been extremely shitty to me.
    Wow. Yeah skwirl is another griefer clan formed around the same time as so called "CHOOOO" who floods games with their clann members and then coordinates.

Goofy

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

I'm just wondering. Blizzard might not be too happy to have "racism" in their game. Honestly you never know. What if someone gets reported for using a racist name, but we say "that's not against the rules", and then they report the map - and say that we are racist? Maybe SC2Mafia could get "banned" from the Arcade. We're already breaking Terms of Service. Imagine if we broke Terms of Service and supported systemic racism on top of it! lol
    The map uses music illegally already technically speak, along with countless other SC2 maps.
    That's a real juridical issue imho, and if that hasn't gotten the map banned then I don't think bigotry will.

Things will be different once SC2 gets under the same Blizzard branch that governs WC3. Then SC2 Arcade will be same as that of WC3 - basically dead.

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

The map uses music illegally already technically speak, along with countless other SC2 maps.
    That's a real juridical issue imho, and if that hasn't gotten the map banned then I don't think bigotry will.

Things will be different once SC2 gets under the same Blizzard branch that governs WC3. Then SC2 Arcade will be same as that of WC3 - basically dead.
    tru

19. ISO #19

They're just idiots. :shrug:
    If you let those kinds of things get to you, what are you gonna do when something truly tragic happens?
    Besides. Everyone trolls a little, but if you try to see things from "their" perspective - to be honest, some people just have so much noise in their head that they have to "prove" they're not racist by calling you a racist. I don't think it's totally malicious. And even if it is, what good is it to take it so seriously? If you just think of people as idiots first and foremost and only then assholes, even if you're wrong, who cares? At least you're not letting some dumb thing someone said on the Internet get to you needlessly.
    nothing lmao

Dude I don’t give a shit about anything, why NOT do this to myself??

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    bam. no more custom names.

you can either now have a random name or select from a selection of different names, which are unlocked via points.
    or you can let your SC2 name be your name.
    never take my YUNO GASAI NAME AWEY FRO M. ME!!!

and letting ppl know my username IN-GAME will just increase my chances of dying n1. UWU!!!!

UWOUWU HEWWU!!!

25. ISO #25

26. ISO #26

27. ISO #27

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    bam. no more custom names.

you can either now have a random name or select from a selection of different names, which are unlocked via points.
    or you can let your SC2 name be your name.
    tbh I would want to experience a meta where people can't be anonymous. sounds fun. @Frinckles any way to perhaps make that an available option for hosts in their setups?

28. ISO #28

tbh I would want to experience a meta where people can't be anonymous. sounds fun. @Frinckles any way to perhaps make that an available option for hosts in their setups?
    The meta for a good portion of people with 5k+ points already is to name themselves the same thing every game, basically removing the anonymity from certain slots

It really doesn't particularly matter other than if you want to veer away from your typical play style and go to a classic default name you can't really.

29. ISO #29

Quote Originally Posted by Varcron View Post
    The meta for a good portion of people with 5k+ points already is to name themselves the same thing every game, basically removing the anonymity from certain slots

It really doesn't particularly matter other than if you want to veer away from your typical play style and go to a classic default name you can't really.
    On the actual topic of the thread though, I feel as though this is a blizzard problem rather than a problem in the mod itself with a small minority choosing to be racist or worse.

Meaning as a collective we have a choice: Ban racism/etc, ban custom names, or continue dealing with it as we have recently, which quite frankly has worked well from what I can tell.
    Last edited by Varcron; May 13th, 2021 at 01:50 PM.

30. ISO #30

I'm not sure if you are joking or not but it already is a setting, most people hate it.

The reason I hate it is all the goofy italian names end up being too similar. If they were more diversified or themed that would be fun. Think LOTR character names or something. Or pokimon.

31. ISO #31

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I'm not sure if you are joking or not but it already is a setting, most people hate it.

The reason I hate it is all the goofy italian names end up being too similar. If they were more diversified or themed that would be fun. Think LOTR character names or something. Or pokimon.
    Random Italian name = Anonymous

32. ISO #32

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34

35. ISO #35

36. ISO #36

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Excessive spam has always been reportable under griefing. The only real change recently is adding names like "I RAPE YOUR 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER" and "ALL NIGGERS MUST DIE" to name abuse.
    Except when it was from the CHOOOO clan. "This report is 3 weeks old, too old -> ignored"

37. ISO #37

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Except when it was from the CHOOOO clan. "This report is 3 weeks old, too old -> ignored"
    over 3 years ago (feb 2018 ) in the report in-question, you added 2 additional replays that were over 2 months old. However, the reason these replays were not considered is that during the 2 months since those games occurred, the player had already been punished for the same behavior and appealed saying they would not do it again.
    Last edited by DJarJar; May 13th, 2021 at 04:44 PM.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

38. ISO #38

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40

41. ISO #41

Excessive spam has always been reportable under griefing. The only real change recently is adding names like "I RAPE YOUR 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER" and "ALL NIGGERS MUST DIE" to name abuse.
    I’d like to request the rules be visibly amended to reflect this change
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

42. ISO #42

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    I’d like to request the rules be visibly amended to reflect this change
    The examples listed are just examples and do not cover everything. It is explicitly stated that they are just guidelines. However, I have added an additional example per your request.

43. ISO #43

over 3 years ago (feb 2018 ) in the report in-question, you added 2 additional replays that were over 2 months old. However, the reason these replays were not considered is that during the 2 months since those games occurred, the player had already been punished for the same behavior and appealed saying they would not do it again.
    My point exactly.

44. ISO #44

I quickly wrote some python code to parse the 373 games I have played in since returning to SC2Mafia.

For simplicity I just calculated usages of the n-word - since almost every player that thinks racism is fun uses that slur often

For each player I played with I calculated:
    • The number of games I've played with them
    • The number of games in which they used the slur
    • The total number of times they used the slur

And for each game I counted the number of times the slur was used in the game.

Here are the results:
    Game Statistics
    • 62.2% (232/373) games do not have the slur in them at all
    • 90.8% (339/373) games have the slur used 4 or less times in total among all players over the course of the game
    • Only 4.3% (16/373) games have the slur used more than 10 times in total

Player Statistics
    • 89.4% (693/775) of the players I've played with have literally NEVER used the word
    • 96.0% (744/775) of the players have used the word only 4 times or less over ALL games I've played with them
    • That bottom of the barrel 4.0% contributes 93.9% (1491/1588 ) of the usages of the word
    • When you filter out players whom I've played less than 5 games with, there are only 14 players who have used the word more than 10 times
    • These 14 "regulars" contribute 67.6% (1074/1588 ) of the usages usages of the word

Now this was just looking at a single (albeit by far the most common) slur - but all manners of slurs likely follow a very similar distribution.

SC2 Mafia's racism problems are NOT due to a widespread problem with the "culture" of the game. The problems are NOT due to new players or infrequent players that use the game as a playground to grief. The problems are created and perpetuated by a very small but very vocal group of regular players that push the idea that using slurs and casual racism is okay. It's not.

I've seen these people claim that "everyone" uses slurs or racism in mafia - so fighting the problem isn't possible. That's simply not true. The group that contribute the large majority of the problem isn't even large enough to fill a full 15 player lobby.
    Last edited by Lumi; May 14th, 2021 at 03:18 AM.

45. ISO #45

46. ISO #46

Quote Originally Posted by LagAttack View Post
    I quickly wrote some python code to parse the 373 games I have played in.

For simplicity I just calculated usages of the n-word - since almost every player that thinks racism is fun uses that slur often

For each player I played with I calculated:
    • The number of games I've played with them
    • The number of games in which they used the slur
    • The total number of times they used the slur

And for each game I counted the number of times the slur was used in the game.

Here are the results:
    Game Statistics
    • 62.2% (232/373) games do not have the slur in them at all
    • 90.8% (339/373) games have the slur used 4 or less times in total among all players over the course of the game
    • Only 4.3% (16/373) games have the slur used more than 10 times in total

Player Statistics
    • 89.4% (693/775) of the players I've played with have literally NEVER used the word
    • 96.0% (744/775) of the players have used the word only 4 times or less over ALL games I've played with them
    • That bottom of the barrel 4.0% contributes 93.9% (1491/1588 ) of usages of the word
    • When you filter out players whom I've played less than 5 games with, there are only 14 players who have used the word more than 10 times

Starcraft 2 Mafia does not have a widespread racism problem. The players that promote racism in game are a very small and very vocal fringe group.

There aren't even enough of them to fill a full 15 player lobby.
    Damn. /thread

47. ISO #47

Damn. /thread
    I went back and edited my post a bit since I was curious what percentage of all usages of the slur were contributed by the 14 "regulars" - 67.6% of all usages of the slur were by this group of particularly active and "prolific" players.

That fact I think has major implications for trying to curb this behavior in the game. It's not primarily caused by some universal cultural problem in the game. It's not caused by new/infrequent players looking to grief. The large majority of racism and slurs in the game come from this small group of regular players that somehow think what they're doing is okay.

But it doesn't end there - I suspected there were rippling effects from the behavior of these players which causes other players to think that it's okay to join in because someone else is doing it. So I looked at the probability that some other player uses racial slurs in games with the most prolific racist present vs games where they aren't present.

And the mere presence of these players in game - using slurs and racist speech - increases the probability that another player in the lobby uses the slur by 55%

Which means that the 67.6% contributed directly by these players isn't even the whole story - their true contribution to the problem is larger due to the rippling effects of their behavior.
    Last edited by Lumi; May 14th, 2021 at 03:47 AM.

48. ISO #48

49. ISO #49

I can't even begin to understand why what someone names themself in the game is an issue. I said this before with regards to the pedophilia spam, and I'll say it again. It seems to me people just created a mental problem for themselves wherein they see "spams racist stuff/says the n-word" -> encourages/(commits! even) racism/pedophilia. Throwing racist/pedophilia jokes/quips/ect does not mean you are committing either of those things... you are not raping children by naming yourself "I RAPE KIDS" or whatever.
    Last edited by Oberon; May 14th, 2021 at 05:10 AM.

50. ISO #50

I can't even begin to understand why what someone names themself in the game is an issue. I said this before with regards to the pedophilia spam, and I'll say it again. It seems to me people just created a mental problem for themselves wherein they see "spams racist stuff/says the n-word" -> encourages/(commits! even) racism/pedophilia. Throwing racist/pedophilia jokes/quips/ect does not mean you are committing either of those things... you are not raping children by naming yourself "I RAPE KIDS" or whatever.
    It is degeneracy at its most disgusting and I don't want to play a game with griefers who spam that shit.

Yeah yeah libertarian freeze peach yada yada nobody cares. People need to learn how to function in society, in the real world, and grow up from this shit.