Doublethink
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Doublethink

1. ISO #1

Doublethink

I've had this thought and decided to share it here, both for the sake of sharing something interesting and to know if it made sense.

Given that scum can be caught by perspective "slips", or more exactly perspective dissonances, and given that those dissonances are quite common, the concept of doublethink is interesting for successful scumplay. The possibility of convincing yourself that you are town and do not know the scum, even though you have read your rolecard, could prevent perspective dissonances. Therefore, "fooling yourself" while remaining in control (to push mislynches instead of teammate lynches, for instance) could be the key to the most natural and effective form of scumplay ever. You'd basically have to be O'Brien for the duration of the game. That seems... interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: Doublethink

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    When professional actors have to resort to Method Acting in order to stay in character, what hope is there for the Average Joe? You also have night chat and ability to remind you of your alignment.

No doubt everyone is or has tried it though.
    Method Acting is only one method to getting a character in professional acting. It’s actually probably the least used professional technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    Method Acting is only one method to getting a character in professional acting. It’s actually probably the least used professional technique.
    Fair, I did a Fallacy of Composition.
    But if I may just pull a special pleading - I think there's an argument to be made that if even some professional actors can't go into character without Method Acting, then it's fair to say that it's a difficult task for us regular folks.

6. ISO #6

Fair, I did a Fallacy of Composition.
    But if I may just pull a special pleading - I think there's an argument to be made that if even some professional actors can't go into character without Method Acting, then it's fair to say that it's a difficult task for us regular folks.
    That is a fair point. But @blinkskater still managed to half-convince me he was scum while I was myself scum, so it's not totally impossible, right? Meta gods helped, but still.

Plus, good actors are a thing. And here, you don't have to embody your character, just to adopt his mindset. That's much less complicated, because you can remain in your own body.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

7. ISO #7

We’re veering off topic here but it’s not that method acting is the end all be all way to create a character, it’s rather that it’s one way to arrive at a fleshed out character. For instance you can’t exactly method act the hulk.

There are 4 methods of creating a character. Method acting is the third one. I don’t feel they’re particularly pressing here because the circumstances are different- in a scenario like forum mafia, people are actively doubting you and trying to find the actors among the common people. In theatre, the audience wants to believe you, so it’s the exact opposite. You don’t go to the Avengers trying to find reasons why iron man isn’t real.
    Last edited by Stealthbomber16; March 3rd, 2021 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

I'm so confused right now. Why did blink do that?
    Well, it's not entirely his fault I find his play incredibly scummy lol. Even when I know he can't be scum. That was my point: if I knew he couldn't be scum but still could genuinely view him as scummy, then it should be possible for everyone to use that kind of process and apply it to everyone in their games, right?

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Well, it's not entirely his fault I find his play incredibly scummy lol. Even when I know he can't be scum. That was my point: if I knew he couldn't be scum but still could genuinely view him as scummy, then it should be possible for everyone to use that kind of process and apply it to everyone in their games, right?
    Reminds me of my gameplay.

13. ISO #13

Lol. I remember that game. I hosted that one.
    Basically there were two scum - MM and Distorted, and MM knew there were only two scum, but blink posted something that made MM CONVINCED blink was scum even though he knew blink had to be town.
    Blink and MM have a history of scumreading each other when one or both of them are town.

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    Isn't this how you're supposed to play mafia
    Well, perhaps that's why I'm horrible at scum, then... I take it my idea was far from crazy

16. ISO #16

You can’t convince yourself you’re town, but what you can do is take note of the scummy things you do/are tempted to do (out of instinct, maybe). Be mindful of how others may interpret your actions, and avoid doing scummy things. It just takes introspection and observation to do.

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    I've had this thought and decided to share it here, both for the sake of sharing something interesting and to know if it made sense.

Given that scum can be caught by perspective "slips", or more exactly perspective dissonances, and given that those dissonances are quite common, the concept of doublethink is interesting for successful scumplay. The possibility of convincing yourself that you are town and do not know the scum, even though you have read your rolecard, could prevent perspective dissonances. Therefore, "fooling yourself" while remaining in control (to push mislynches instead of teammate lynches, for instance) could be the key to the most natural and effective form of scumplay ever. You'd basically have to be O'Brien for the duration of the game. That seems... interesting.
    @Marshmallow Marshall
    Would you care if I used this in some paraphrased form in a guide?

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    @Marshmallow Marshall
    Would you care if I used this in some paraphrased form in a guide?
    Sure!