How can one be against philosophy
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

How can one be against philosophy

I keep seeing (and some of you may recognize yourselves in what I am going to say) people saying philosophy is pointless, that it only complicates things and creates nonsense... I would like to understand how one can come to this conclusion, considering philosophy is just the use of reason in its purest possible form when it comes to stuff that can't be mathematized. How does the rejection of this amazing tool make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

2. ISO #2

Re: How can one be against philosophy

Work as an engineer. Never used philosophy in my entire life to build infrastructure or delivery water or energy to your house. Your philosophy is only useful for pseudo-intellectuals who love to overanalyze things and boost your egos.
    Last edited by HentaiManOfPeacesGhost; November 9th, 2021 at 04:38 PM.

3. ISO #3

Philosophy is cool.

Philosophy for the sole sake of intellectual masturbation is fucking cringe.

Example: Philosophy of science is useful, it led to things like the scientific method.

Arguing if Hitler was evil because of the philosophical definition of "evil" is cringe as fuck and a massive waste of time.
    Last edited by oops_ur_dead; November 9th, 2021 at 04:42 PM.

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    Arguing if Hitler was evil because of the philosophical definition of "evil" is cringe as fuck and a massive waste of time.
    PREACH, BROTHA/SISTA

Seriously, big fucking waste of time. It's fucking astrology for people who want to think they're smart. Almost as bad as those Myers-Briggs people who advertise their 4 letter characters as if 7.5 billion people can be organized into 16 neat personalities.
    Last edited by HentaiManOfPeacesGhost; November 9th, 2021 at 05:12 PM.

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeacesGhost View Post
    Work as an engineer. Never used philosophy in my entire life to build infrastructure or delivery water or energy to your house. Your philosophy is only useful for pseudo-intellectuals who love to overanalyze things and boost your egos.
    Well obviously, philosophy isn't exactly useful for technical matters. But when it comes to "should we build this thing here considering the impacts on the environment, on people around, etc.?", it's needed. It's also a good idea to think about stuff like, you know... the goal you are pursuing in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    Philosophy is cool.

Philosophy for the sole sake of intellectual masturbation is fucking cringe.

Example: Philosophy of science is useful, it led to things like the scientific method.

Mental gymnastics can be fun training and sometimes food for thought for more serious attempts to think about something, so I wouldn't even say that's cringe (unless you are actually just boasting your amazing intellectual skills without actually thinking, in which case it's pointless lol, but that isn't so common).

As for the definition of evil, it's pretty important if you want to live a good life, to avoid evil and to manage it around you, so... nope

Speaking of waste of time, picking at people online is a massive waste of time, yet some people seem to enjoy it and do it anyway, so why can't that work with philosophy too
    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I think people have the wrong impression of what philosophy is and don't realize that, at it's core, it's nothing more than a synonym for critical thinking.
    But then I wonder what they think it is lol.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Well obviously, philosophy isn't exactly useful for technical matters. But when it comes to "should we build this thing here considering the impacts on the environment, on people around, etc.?", it's needed. It's also a good idea to think about stuff like, you know... the goal you are pursuing in life.
    That's not my job, that's the business execs and lawyers' problems to deal with.

Mental gymnastics can be fun training and sometimes food for thought for more serious attempts to think about something, so I wouldn't even say that's cringe (unless you are actually just boasting your amazing intellectual skills without actually thinking, in which case it's pointless lol, but that isn't so common).

As for the definition of evil, it's pretty important if you want to live a good life, to avoid evil and to manage it around you, so... nope
    Right, asking the hard hitting philosophical questions like if debating if Hitler was truly evil and shining a spotlight on some more unruly community members you have like Paopan, an antisemite.

Tune in next week on SC2 Mafia Philosophy Serious Debate & Discussion where we ask more life-changing questions and moral dilemmas of similar nature like:

1. Should the government be given the rights to force people to take the COVID-19 vaccine?
    2. Should people prioritize profits over the environment?
    3. Who has more worth: fat or old people?
    4. Is bottled water better and safer than tap?
    5. Were the old days better than now?
    6. How come the primarily American admins are so proficient at making Canadians like HMOP feel uncomfortable by enabling the use of the g-word slur and "toxic" infractions like calling people "damn donut", but do a non-vigilante job of moderating n-word slurs in SC2 Mafia Arcade player reports that are more disgusting and more offensive in their own country? Talk about priorities.
    7. Is keto the most effective diets for losing weight?
    8. Does moving your pp back and forth using your hand until milk comes out before marriage prevent you from entering heaven?
    Last edited by HentaiManOfPeacesGhost; November 10th, 2021 at 09:15 PM.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeacesGhost View Post
    That's not my job, that's the business execs and lawyers' problems to deal with.
    Oh, so that is your theme song then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDC4j_wCu4 for those who can't click the red box
    Last edited by Marshmallow Marshall; November 11th, 2021 at 02:21 PM.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Oh, so that is your theme song then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDC4j_wCu4 for those who can't click the red box
    Great suggestion. Let me refuse to do work if it's unethical and the company will terminate me without cause and hire another guy or gal to replace me. Big thumbs up to your big brain.

https://c.tenor.com/uBcbvnuP3K0AAAAC...chty-drake.gif
    Last edited by HentaiManOfPeacesGhost; November 12th, 2021 at 01:34 PM.

10. ISO #10

I had some fun with a concept like this earlier this week. Helped a friend of mine with a paper she had to write for her political science degree. She was given a chapter from Paul Feyerbend's 'Against method' essentially debating the ideology of science being the end-all of discovery and if reasoning had a place in furthering science.

There were very valid points such as Galileo Galilei figuring out that the planets orbited the sun with reasoning as opposed to the scientific method and the fact that science itself was created from reasoning making it silly to dismiss reasoning as a valid form of progression in the structure it created.

I think its of note that a PhD is literally a doctorate in philosophy in a field. Its the mainstay of the highest level of academics even in straight deductive fields such as mathematics for a reason. Examining the potential of 'what could be' allows us to innovate and move past where we are now even if such growth is seen as intellectual masterbation.

One example that comes to mind is William Shockley. Brilliant level of genius who was able to work outside established structures and do whatever he felt like because he was so good. The guy was a monster of a mind at bell labs (which really is saying something) but he was so good he would chase whatever tangents he fancied at the time even spending time designing and riding unicycles up and down the halls. People had no understanding of why he did the things he did and most would look at him as more of an artist than a scientist. Regardless his mental gymnastics helped create the transistors and foundation of information theory that allows me to type this message.

I think a defining moment in my life was when I read about Kants deterministic view of innovation. Looking at mental thought as a closed loop system in which you are only able to think in terms of what you have already thought and the stimulus around you. I personally believe I am able to come up with new ways of looking at things simply because I work my mind in weird ways and dive into philosophy. It gives me that external stimulus I need to draw different conclusions from the same situations we all look at which is a very basic foundation of education as seen in the PhD programs.