Racist names (yes this again) - Page 2
Register

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. ISO #51

Re: Racist names (yes this again)

Quote Originally Posted by LagAttack View Post
    I quickly wrote some python code to parse the 373 games I have played in since returning to SC2Mafia.

For simplicity I just calculated usages of the n-word - since almost every player that thinks racism is fun uses that slur often

For each player I played with I calculated:
    • The number of games I've played with them
    • The number of games in which they used the slur
    • The total number of times they used the slur

And for each game I counted the number of times the slur was used in the game.

Here are the results:
    Game Statistics
    • 62.2% (232/373) games do not have the slur in them at all
    • 90.8% (339/373) games have the slur used 4 or less times in total among all players over the course of the game
    • Only 4.3% (16/373) games have the slur used more than 10 times in total

Player Statistics
    • 89.4% (693/775) of the players I've played with have literally NEVER used the word
    • 96.0% (744/775) of the players have used the word only 4 times or less over ALL games I've played with them
    • That bottom of the barrel 4.0% contributes 93.9% (1491/1588 ) of the usages of the word
    • When you filter out players whom I've played less than 5 games with, there are only 14 players who have used the word more than 10 times
    • These 14 "regulars" contribute 67.6% (1074/1588 ) of the usages usages of the word

Now this was just looking at a single (albeit by far the most common) slur - but all manners of slurs likely follow a very similar distribution.

SC2 Mafia's racism problems are NOT due to a widespread problem with the "culture" of the game. The problems are NOT due to new players or infrequent players that use the game as a playground to grief. The problems are created and perpetuated by a very small but very vocal group of regular players that push the idea that using slurs and casual racism is okay. It's not.

I've seen these people claim that "everyone" uses slurs or racism in mafia - so fighting the problem isn't possible. That's simply not true. The group that contribute the large majority of the problem isn't even large enough to fill a full 15 player lobby.
    Impressive. The results run counter to my experience though, I'd be interested in running the script on my replays, I've got quite a few.

2. ISO #52

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I can't believe you're still going off about that. :shrug:
    People shouldn't forget that a staff member (SCvMurderer) created a clan to explicitly grief the game and shielded his flunkies from repercussions under the guise of "Oh I'll talk to him!" while griefing themselves.

3. ISO #53

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    It is degeneracy at its most disgusting and I don't want to play a game with griefers who spam that shit.

Yeah yeah libertarian freeze peach yada yada nobody cares. People need to learn how to function in society, in the real world, and grow up from this shit.
    I didn’t say anything about free speech.

4. ISO #54

I've recently found a player, in a replay, who rightfully said :

"Well he has freedom of speech, and also a right to face a consequence for his words".
    Quote Originally Posted by Efekannn02 View Post
    MM Magoroth and Distorted are the 3 baddies
    just like Agrael Acriel and Auwt being the original 3 baddies
    MafiaZ and Skwirl its all a repeat of history
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRevenant View Post
    But Potoss has Pobes, Zeelot, and Acrons!
    Screw you I actually have more grudges towards the people who have their names start with A

5. ISO #55

I can't even begin to understand why what someone names themself in the game is an issue. I said this before with regards to the pedophilia spam, and I'll say it again. It seems to me people just created a mental problem for themselves wherein they see "spams racist stuff/says the n-word" -> encourages/(commits! even) racism/pedophilia. Throwing racist/pedophilia jokes/quips/ect does not mean you are committing either of those things... you are not raping children by naming yourself "I RAPE KIDS" or whatever.
    I don't think I can make my point more succinctly than this, and if I did, I would just be repeating myself. My argument has nothing to do with free speech. As you both made arguments against a point I didn't make, I'm going to leave it at that.

6. ISO #56

I don't think I can make my point more succinctly than this, and if I did, I would just be repeating myself. My argument has nothing to do with free speech. As you both made arguments against a point I didn't make, I'm going to leave it at that.
    It is the same underlying principle. That being:

stupid excuses for bullshit.

You shouldn't be offended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently taking issue with this behavior is a "mental problem", actually it is the reverse.

7. ISO #57

Not really. Gamethrowing, griefing and hacking are 100% "free speech" yet we ban them.
    There's nothing wrong with taking issue with pedophilia and racism in general, but uh... people trolling in Arcade game? If you throw a racist/pedophile/homophobic joke it doesn't mean you're "oppressing" black people/abusing kids/oppressing gays. It is just a joke. :shrug:
    Last edited by Oberon; May 14th, 2021 at 08:09 AM.

8. ISO #58

I hope this a bait.
    Screw you I actually have more grudges towards the people who have their names start with A

9. ISO #59

Not really. Gamethrowing, griefing and hacking are 100% "free speech" yet we ban them.
    There's nothing wrong with taking issue with pedophilia and racism in general, but uh... people trolling in Arcade game? If you throw a racist/pedophile/homophobic joke it doesn't mean you're "oppressing" black people/abusing kids/oppressing gays. It is just a joke. :shrug:
    everything else aside how is hacking "free speech" @Oberon
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

10. ISO #60

11. ISO #61

Hackers usually out roles.
    ...yeah. hacking is against the rules because it gives the hacker an unfair advantage. it has nothing to do with the "outing roles". literally completely unrelated to speech.

eta: this is the same reason hacking is banned in every other game that takes itself seriously
    Last edited by Stealthbomber16; May 14th, 2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: .

12. ISO #62

sorry for derailing thread my bullshit-o-meter was off the charts you may go back to discussions about how lag attack is a fucking baller

13. ISO #63

14. ISO #64

15. ISO #65

16. ISO #66

It was put to you in the first line of the first response. People do not want to play the game with such dribble. You haven't been able to comprehend this for years now, so I see why you feel like you are talking in circles. You literally quoted the post but only responded to the OTHER sentence. You ignore the point and target something rather irrelevant. So if you are going to dribble post, people are going to dribble post back to you.

17. ISO #67

18. ISO #68

All I read was mag comparing hacking to free speech and that's enough for me in this thread, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

19. ISO #69

Is this a serious post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

20. ISO #70

Mmm yes attacking the point by saying the people who do not like it are ACHTUALY saying they think the people saying these things are ACHTUALY real rapists and racists. What the fuck is wrong with you? This is so besides the point being put forward I have no other way to take it other than you ignoring the point.

21. ISO #71

Free speech is a bad argument; it's too philosophical. I'm of the opinion that when people resort to such arguments it shows that they don't really have anything else to fall back on.
    Meanwhile the point I brought up is entirely logical, and in fact has nothing to do with free speech. It's just like, if some random dude on Sc2Mafia says he's going to rape your kids, well... sorry, but he's not raping them :shrug:

22. ISO #72

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    Mmm yes attacking the point by saying the people who do not like it are ACHTUALY saying they think the people saying these things are ACHTUALY real rapists and racists. What the fuck is wrong with you? This is so besides the point being put forward I have no other way to take it other than you ignoring the point.
    Uhhh no that's not what I said, actually. It's that them spamming pedo stuff IS NOT them raping your kids. It's literally that simple. People just choose to insert mental blocks in their minds for whatever reason.

23. ISO #73

24. ISO #74

Some personality types can sometimes argue for arguing sake even if it doesn't make sense. Because it's their F that wants something, but they don't listen to it so they overwork their T. But without a sense of direction, the F never gets satisfied so they keep overworking their T in the delusion that it'd fix their problems.
    https://youtu.be/m_ox2zrt6Bw

A little about the F and T that I'm talking about:
    https://youtu.be/MY1sBJYdc6M
    https://youtu.be/GX-2EZnUCII

@Oberon I'd have posted this in your visitor messages if you had it enabled or smthng.
    Last edited by OzyWho; May 14th, 2021 at 03:47 PM.

25. ISO #75

26. ISO #76

I gotta say it's a bit of a self-own when someone admits that their sense of humour is as simple as someone saying I RAPE KIDS or spamming homophobic or racial slurs. Even the kid in middle school who made farting sounds while the teacher was talking was funnier than that.

I think these people should be banned solely for being so painfully unfunny lmao.

27. ISO #77

28. ISO #78

29. ISO #79

I can't even begin to understand why what someone names themself in the game is an issue. I said this before with regards to the pedophilia spam, and I'll say it again. It seems to me people just created a mental problem for themselves wherein they see "spams racist stuff/says the n-word" -> encourages/(commits! even) racism/pedophilia. Throwing racist/pedophilia jokes/quips/ect does not mean you are committing either of those things... you are not raping children by naming yourself "I RAPE KIDS" or whatever.
    Your inability to understand why people would take issue with the behavior you describe illustrates a profound lack of empathy.

And if this understanding is something you struggle to grasp, then I regret to inform you:

You are woefully underqualified to participate in a discussion on the topic.

30. ISO #80

Your inability to understand why people would take issue with the behavior you describe illustrates a profound lack of empathy.

And if this understanding is something you struggle to grasp, then I regret to inform you:

It's his opinion, he does have a right to share it.

That doesn't mean you have to agree with him, but he has every right to say what he thinks. It's an out there perspective compared to most people in this discussion.

31. ISO #81

No it doesn't. I'm Jewish and it doesn't bother me in the game when people throw antisemitic remarks :P

32. ISO #82

33. ISO #83

Quote Originally Posted by CRichardForumLies View Post
    Imagine thinking that freedom of speech = freedom from not facing consequences from what they've said.
    From the US laws point of view, I think only defamation is forbidden?
    Other than stuff like accusing the president or whatever requires security clearance.
    Last edited by OzyWho; May 15th, 2021 at 06:14 AM.

34. ISO #84

35. ISO #85

36. ISO #86

37. ISO #87

38. ISO #88

39. ISO #89

40. ISO #90

A forum is essentially the same as private property. Owners reserve the right to remove people at their discretion. You have been given consent to come here, that consent can be rescinded.

What legal grounds do you have for ignoring a request to leave private property in real life, let alone on the internet?

41. ISO #91

Quote Originally Posted by CRichardForumLies View Post
    Imagine thinking that freedom of speech = freedom from not facing consequences from what they've said.
    Some sadly are only thinking of the freedom of speech, and tend to forget, not to give a crap or not to consider the consequences they would have to face for their words.
    The title of this thread is a good example of it actually.
    Last edited by Auwt; May 15th, 2021 at 06:45 AM.

42. ISO #92

I'm not sure if that's valid. For example, consider the case of the Christian bakeries that refused to bake cakes for gay people. The only reason the Supreme Court affirmed their right to refuse service is because of freedom of religion. What they did is otherwise absolutely illegal; they were providing a public service, and as such the people they were refusing service to were protected under the constitution.

I think that yes, it would technically be illegal for someone to be banned from a "forum" on the Internet (unless that forum is a private thing with private membership - like a club or something). The only difference between those and e.g. discord is that discord has more users, but legally that does not matter. However, I doubt that any court would prosecute.
    Last edited by Oberon; May 15th, 2021 at 06:54 AM.

43. ISO #93

Quote Originally Posted by Auwt View Post
    Some sadly are only thinking of the freedom of speech, and tend to forget, not to give a crap or not to consider the consequences they would have to face for their words.
    The title of this thread is a good example of it actually.
    Yes I think there is a mistaken assumption from some folks that freedom of speech = freedom from consequences from speech.

44. ISO #94

45. ISO #95

46. ISO #96

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Excuse me for wanting to be informed on changes happening..
    Nothing wrong here, I did not want to be mean.
    I was just looking at the name of the thread (Racist name) as an example next to a fact.

47. ISO #97

48. ISO #98

49. ISO #99

Yes, but freedom of speech does not apply to a private game.
    (it's debatable if it applies to a public forum.)
    When I brought up freeze peach, I meant that the underlying principle/argument is the same, not that it should be applied in exactly the same way.

50. ISO #100

It seemed LagAttack failed to understand and adapt to the internet culture. Being racist inside a video game is not the same thing as being racist in real life. Oh, wait a minute.. Holy sh*t.. WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! I object to being called a racist!

I'm hatin ol blacks, slavs, irish, asian, indian, arabs, jews, aryans, muslims, boers, etc. and racism is defined as having a prejudice against a particular ethnicity. I affirm and certify that Paopan hates everyone equally and will not be again considered racist. You can also call me the multiracial godfather of equality. So I suggest the mods to do their job and dismiss my case. *case adjourned*

On a side note,
    #freepalestine
    Last edited by Yuesford; May 15th, 2021 at 10:28 AM.