Dislikes
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Dislikes

1. ISO #1

Dislikes

Something has been itching at my mind for a few years..

Does anyone know whats up with the weird amount of dislikes you come across in media? It could be something super non-subjective that makes no statement about anything like a kitten playing with a toy and you see 100k likes with 2k dislikes.. Where do these 2k dislikes come from?

The latest video that made me wonder this is this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tnqMpz-EIQ

Its a car that goes so fast it pretty much becomes an airplane. 67k people liked it but for some reason 800 people disliked it? Is there just bots that spam dislikes across youtube or is there some weird % of society that watches clips and hates them for no reason...

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: Dislikes

Someone may think it's a waste of internet space and an useless weight on the planet due to the environmental damage datacenters cause.
    Or perhaps that's just the amount of trolls and bots on YouTube. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

I've wondered about this myself. There's several reasons I've come up with that could explain such a thing, but it's very difficult to say which of the reasons are actually meaningful causes of the dislikes.

It's worth noting that the ratio shifts in subtle but meaningful ways for different videos. Videos that have a "basically 1% dislike ratio" actually seem to vary between 0.5% and 5%. That may not seem like a big deal but proportionately that's a massive difference. And once a video gains a certain degree of prominence I don't think it can ever have a dislike ratio less than 1% or 1.5%.

I suspect the exact ratio is something you could actually model and predict quite effectively though because the factors guiding how many people dislike a video are probably extremely impulsive and superficial lol. If you feed the title of the video, the title of related videos, the number of likes and views to a learner it would probably be able to make a good prediction unless the content of the video contains some controversy. Youtube probably already has such a thing!

P;edit sorry, what I meant to say is I don't think it's spam, because of how the dislikes vary. I've seen videos with 30-40k views that have no dislikes and thousands of likes because the people watching the video are so specific
    Last edited by yzb25; March 30th, 2021 at 03:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

how did I become the budget mattzed of the site lmao T_T
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

I think there’s a psychological explanation. When people see a great video with 100% or close to 100% likes, they dislike it to quell their own feelings of inadequacy. They might see themselves as having the potential to be as successful as that video, of course not just through a like-dislike ratio, since that isn’t how success is measured in the vast majority of people, but through something else. They see that video as a symbol of success and wishfully project themselves onto it, but since they aren’t successful in reality, they dislike this video with the goal of bringing this symbol of success down to their reality, to a place where it can be controlled. Unfortunately, you don’t control the video or yourself by disliking it, especially if the video has a ton of likes and a significant number of dislikes, even if the dislikes are a very small percentage.

People also misclick.

People also dislike to influence the algorithm. Maybe they’re no longer interested in watching videos similar to the one they disliked.

My first point probably sounds like the ramblings of an insane person.
    Last edited by theoneceko; March 30th, 2021 at 08:21 AM.

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15