Should 942 be the new meta?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

Re: Should 942 be the new meta?

I remember when 933 was the undisputed standard, then players became better and 933 became too town favored.
    8331 was introduced, I believe it was by @Distorted (?) - and it was way more fun than 933 as the balance felt slightly better.
    After a while, idk what happened, but players became worse (I believe -mafia- was either unplayed for a good while or a lot of good players quit all at once or both) and had to almost go back to 933.

What about 942 though? Well, judging by the numbers, can't help but immediately come to the conclusion that Town has to be given stronger roles than before or else the Mafia can just power wolf through the day game, making Town yet even more dependant on their PR's.
    (You introduce this sort of setup back in Scvmurderer times, and he would have a field day as Mafia.)

Is that what we really want? As if Town in the SC2 Arcade needed any more reason to rely on their night games.

As a Forum Mafia player, the idea of relying on the night game even more is just appalling to me. (please nobody mention the last game!)

Arcade players should all try Forum Mafia just once to see how it is to catch mafia based on daytime discussion alone.

I'd have loved to discuss this setup with MM, Oberon, Distorted - back when they still played the SC2 Arcade. Pretty sure each of them still to this day know the finer mechanics of the Arcade better than I do.

Tbh, I haven't played 942. Perhaps it actually forces the Town to actually try to "read" who the scum are? Like the social deduction that the game is supposed to be?
    But for that to happen, there should be drastic changes in the meta how the game is played, and anyone not familiar with it would ruin the game (by let's say - inactivity in the day chat). Unrealistic, and would also require the setups day length to be increased by a multitude of times.

I think there's no way around it that such a setup would make the town even more dependant on their night actions.

I'm against.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I like 10/4/1 (10 town, 4 mafia, 1 judge)
    You play Arcade again?
    How does it feel compared to past?

10-4-1(Judge) means on average only 1 kill per night.
    Day1 is always NL, so really the game starts 9-4-1.
    We can assume a day to have a guaranteed mislynch due to Judge.
    Math is hard, for simplicity sake let's say Judge courts Day2 and only 1 kill per night, so day 3 = 7vs"5", and town is on LYLO 4-5 days in a row if they want to win.

I think a better option is the 1 neutral to be SK, who hunts Mafia, but that causes it's own problems.

Why do you like 10/4/1?

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    You play Arcade again?
    How does it feel compared to past?

10-4-1(Judge) means on average only 1 kill per night.
    Day1 is always NL, so really the game starts 9-4-1.
    We can assume a day to have a guaranteed mislynch due to Judge.
    Math is hard, for simplicity sake let's say Judge courts Day2 and only 1 kill per night, so day 3 = 7vs"5", and town is on LYLO 4-5 days in a row if they want to win.

I think a better option is the 1 neutral to be SK, who hunts Mafia, but that causes it's own problems.

Why do you like 10/4/1?
    I wish I could but SC2 doesn’t run on Linux and I can’t use my Mac for that purpose. Maybe I’ll try using my old Dell gaming laptop for it, it runs Windows 7
    Tbh idk why I liked it, it’s been a long time. It’s basically a Town v Mafia setup as the Judge is effectively a fifth Mafia member. Now that you mention it according to this math it seems pretty imbalanced although it had more or less the same balance as a regular game. Maybe I set the Judge’s courting charges to one or smth, idk.

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Tbh idk why I liked it, it’s been a long time.
    Tbh, perhaps you played it at a time when players were so strong that Town could have pulled it off and it was fun to try.

I can definitely imagine a short window of time where that could've been the case. Right before we played our first FM together.

7. ISO #7

You're right, I try to make the save as balanced as possible for smooth brain townies to have a chance, it does require more deduction and teamwork to actually be successful, but as you said, not something that can be quite achievable these days. I've been a long time player and I remember the days with people such as SCVMurder, Oberon and Distorted, I never actually got involved in the community until like 2 years ago where I started the campaign to make 942 a new meta, hasn't been successful but still pushing, I just feel the player base needs to get shaken up a bit so that the game can achieve it's peak deduction/mystery theme as I'm sure the developers hoped for. Who knows, maybe on day.

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12