National anthems
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

National anthems

What do you think about your national anthems? I'm curious to see the value people attribute to them.

I'll start. The French anthem, La Marseillaise, is literally a military song saying "may an impure blood water our furrows", so in most (if not all) situations, it's just terribly fake and inappropriate... literally the ONLY exception that comes to my mind is here at 16:58 due to the album's context, and it's from an Italian singer during the 60s...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: National anthems

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I don't care much for it and I think many don't either.
    I'd say that there are songs that are closer to people's hearts even in terms of "the national songs" if such a term exists: 1 2 3
    I don't know what those songs are saying, but they're great! Comments seem to say they are "songs for the nation". You're right that many people don't care about their national anthems, but that's often because a lot of anthems mean literally nothing: they're just a bunch of supposedly glorious words. But some, like this one, hold quite a lot of weight. Considering South Africa's history, the choice of languages and of lyrics is meaningful and something South Africans could reasonably be proud of. This is just an example, and obviously, I can't really speak on the behalf of the South African people, but my point is that the meaningfulness of an anthem depends on the meaningfulness of its lyrics (and in some cases, of its languages).
    And blood watering furrows is not something appealing to much people now, probably like the rockets' red glare and the bombs bursting in air, but probably less like Einigkeit, Recht und Freiheit.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    I don't know what those songs are saying, but they're great! Comments seem to say they are "songs for the nation". You're right that many people don't care about their national anthems, but that's often because a lot of anthems mean literally nothing: they're just a bunch of supposedly glorious words. But some, like this one, hold quite a lot of weight. Considering South Africa's history, the choice of languages and of lyrics is meaningful and something South Africans could reasonably be proud of. This is just an example, and obviously, I can't really speak on the behalf of the South African people, but my point is that the meaningfulness of an anthem depends on the meaningfulness of its lyrics (and in some cases, of its languages).
    And blood watering furrows is not something appealing to much people now, probably like the rockets' red glare and the bombs bursting in air, but probably less like Einigkeit, Recht und Freiheit.
    Ahh, yeah. In terms of meaning and weight, I feel like all 3 outweigh our anthems.
    The 3 that I listed - 1st is in memory of those fallen fighting for the freedom of the country, 2nd isn't that important, it's about a story that everyone knows (and I mean everyone), 3rd is a call for action during crossroads. What crossroads? The one's that determine the country getting occupied or not.
    idk, independence and freedom are important, I guess.

Meanwhile, the anthems are about nothing particular as far as I can see. Well, it's about the country - but that's like the bare minimum expectation of a anthem.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

I like flags tho
    flags are cool, and they don’t necessarily need to represent anything in particular as long as they’re aesthetically pleasing (like the flags of Maryland/Occitannia/Normandy. there is some symbolism in the latter two and they look nice, which is nice. Its always nice when the flag matches the country).

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Ahh, yeah. In terms of meaning and weight, I feel like all 3 outweigh our anthems.
    The 3 that I listed - 1st is in memory of those fallen fighting for the freedom of the country, 2nd isn't that important, it's about a story that everyone knows (and I mean everyone), 3rd is a call for action during crossroads. What crossroads? The one's that determine the country getting occupied or not.
    idk, independence and freedom are important, I guess.

Meanwhile, the anthems are about nothing particular as far as I can see. Well, it's about the country - but that's like the bare minimum expectation of a anthem.
    Sounds about right. To be fair, I like anthems, but that's because of how they sound for the most part, not because of what they say (with some exceptions, which my country's isn't part of).
    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Don’t lie mm you just made this thread as an excuse to listen to the North Korean anthem again
    Lol nah, it's not that good. This one is though. And so is this one, yet in a very different way...

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I like flags tho
    flags are cool, and they don’t necessarily need to represent anything in particular as long as they’re aesthetically pleasing (like the flags of Maryland/Occitannia/Normandy. there is some symbolism in the latter two and they look nice, which is nice. Its always nice when the flag matches the country).
    If your flag is not symbolic, why did you even bother making one? Unless it's a big white rectangle with

J A P A N

in the middle or something...

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    If your flag is not symbolic, why did you even bother making one? Unless it's a big white rectangle with

J A P A N

in the middle or something...
    To serve as a uniting banner for the people of the country?
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    Not interesting enough! But I guess people don't care much... which leads to questioning the usefulness of the flag again if noone cares for it and if it means nothing in itself.

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

Probably
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    And in a more practical way, to recognize people of your own "team" easily.

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

Having sung the US national anthem in about 20 different arrangements I can tell you that it's trash. It's a trash ass song with trash ass lyrics that barely mean anything. Let's glorify war because killing people is one of the only things the US does better than anyone else.

Every kid who hears this piece of shit over and over and over from a tiny age should want to jump into a foxhole with bombs blowing up feet from their head for the glory of an ugly flag and a fucking cheeto.

It's basic and easy and boring. People crying about other people not standing during a shitty song are dumb as fuck.

Fuck Russian communism but the Soviet Anthem is where it's at.
    Canada's is good, too.
    FMX: fm Kevinpowers - Citizen (WIN)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I will go ahead and fuck this cat
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Heavy Handed View Post
    yeah I'm not gonna sit around here analyzing the fucking particle fluctuations in the quantum foam or whatever the fuck trying to find shit on D1

19. ISO #19

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I honestly thought that the picture fucked up when you were posting it. That thing is hideous.
    FMX: fm Kevinpowers - Citizen (WIN)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I will go ahead and fuck this cat
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Heavy Handed View Post
    yeah I'm not gonna sit around here analyzing the fucking particle fluctuations in the quantum foam or whatever the fuck trying to find shit on D1

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by FrostByte View Post
    Having sung the US national anthem in about 20 different arrangements I can tell you that it's trash. It's a trash ass song with trash ass lyrics that barely mean anything. Let's glorify war because killing people is one of the only things the US does better than anyone else.

Every kid who hears this piece of shit over and over and over from a tiny age should want to jump into a foxhole with bombs blowing up feet from their head for the glory of an ugly flag and a fucking cheeto.

It's basic and easy and boring. People crying about other people not standing during a shitty song are dumb as fuck.

Canada's is good, too.
    The US anthem is adapted from a drinking song.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

23. ISO #23

Canada's is good, too.
    100 % agreed about everything lol, even though it may be more valuable coming from you since you're American

24. ISO #24

Canada's is good, too.

25. ISO #25