''Living''
Register

User Tag List

Thread: ''Living''

1. ISO #1

''Living''

The will to live is a malevolent force that can never be satisfied since it has no aim or purpose other than its perpetual continuation.

For many years that was my thought, yet could never myself put it in words other than "life is meaningless".

I just wanted to share.
    Last edited by OzyWho; May 26th, 2021 at 09:22 AM.

2. ISO #2

Re: ''Living''

“Human life must be some kind of mistake. The truth of this will be sufficiently obvious if we only remember that man is a compound of needs and necessities hard to satisfy; and that even when they are satisfied, all he obtains is a state of painlessness, where nothing remains to him but abandonment to boredom. This is direct proof that existence has no
    real value in itself; for what is boredom but the feeling of the emptiness of life? If life—the craving for which is the very essence of our being—were possessed of any positive intrinsic value, there would be no such thing as boredom at all: mere existence would satisfy us in itself, and we should want for nothing.”
    ― Arthur Schopenhauer, Studies in Pessimism: The Essays

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

adding onto this, i wonder why ppl try to DO so damn much since there's no purpose to life besides its "perpetual continuation." ppl DO so much in america, but i doubt ppl are happier for it.

sure, we've many more options available to us today. the potential for ppl to achieve their dreams has skyrocketed, yet the happiest ppl i've seen were retired old couples who live very simply. they do housework and tend to their garden all day, and i can see just how fulfilling it is for them. they also have so much goodwill inside of them that they almost HAVE to do kind things for other people. it's a trait that i honestly envy, having never felt that way since i literally give zero fucks about people.

OWO

7. ISO #7

i can throw a lot of effort into things, but i tend to quickly give up bc i don't see an inherent purpose in anything. the only exception to this rule is TROLLING IN GAMES. why? bc there truly is no purpose to it. i throw a lot of effort into THAT, and i don't feel like i'm deceiving myself by literally wasting my time. one of the tenets of my "life-is-meaningless" philosophy is that everything is a waste of time.

UWOWU HEWWO!!!

so, why do i do anything? why do some things make me unhappier than others? i think it just comes down to science. for example, walking outside and being in nature will make you happier than sitting at a computer all day. a normal sleep schedule and eating healthily are also objectively good for you. if you have this basic "foundation" for happiness, then you'll be able to discover what makes your life feel purposeful. i almost want to remove "feel" from my previous sentence, because i don't think anyone will ever feel fulfilled if they start trolling feelings of happiness.

8. ISO #8

in other words, i find this thread and everything i said to be quite meaningless. wondering about the meaning of life won't make your life any more fulfilling. it's just a spiral trap for neurotic thinkers bc you'll never be able to refute the absolute that "life is inherently meaningless." actions speak louder than words. so does saying

UWOWU HEWWO!!!

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

This thread is honestly depressing...

If life has no goal because there's no God or any preprogrammed goal, can't we just make whatever we want out of it, though? If there's no "higher cause", then let's make the Earth a place where people can live well and let's just have fun. If life has no inherent meaning, it means we're basically in a sandbox, and it's actually not bad at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    This thread is honestly depressing...

If life has no goal because there's no God or any preprogrammed goal, can't we just make whatever we want out of it, though? If there's no "higher cause", then let's make the Earth a place where people can live well and let's just have fun. If life has no inherent meaning, it means we're basically in a sandbox, and it's actually not bad at all.
    +1. And the quote in #2 uses very bizarre reasoning. Noone would try to argue minecraft "lacks intrinsic value" because standing still doing absolutely nothing in the game and simply "having it run" brings no pleasure. I'm not a fan of pessimism for the sake of it when there's enough things to cry about in real life without farfetched mental gymnastics
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    +1. And the quote in #2 uses very bizarre reasoning. Noone would try to argue minecraft "lacks intrinsic value" because standing still doing absolutely nothing in the game and simply "having it run" brings no pleasure. I'm not a fan of pessimism for the sake of it when there's enough things to cry about in real life without farfetched mental gymnastics
    This is the only quote on this thread I've read and I'm not going to read the rest because the random argument about minecraft is soooo funny to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15