A topic about what you think throwing is
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

A topic about what you think throwing is

I realize it is the natural knee-jerk reaction to think every time someone does the wrong thing and you lose because of it, that person was "throwing".

I would like to open this thread up to hear from the entire community what you think throwing really is.

I think the worst part of our community is that everytime someone does a dumb or misinformed thing they are accused of throwing and bashed repeatedly. I am not making this post because people have unjustly done it to me, I am making it because I see new players being scared off by people spamming "YOU FUCKING THREW I AM REPORTING YOU @#%@#%!#@%". This is a serious issue because it is unlikely SC2 will get that many new players from now on. If the few new players to mafia are scared off by salty players, without any growth, the community will inevitably die.

So, basically, I want this thread to be an opportunity for the community to decide what is really an example of "throwing" and what is not. I would love to hear specific game examples and why you think it is or is not throwing.

2. ISO #2

Re: A topic about what you think throwing is

If there is any concern with a report that's been incorrectly processed, let us be aware of the issue. (If it's a report on you post in that topic and be sensible and explain things logically, if it's a report on someone else post in the answer hall)

Generally, people can be reported for gamethrow for or what not, but nothing will happen unless it get reviewed and deemed punishable.
    We try to punish by intention and not by mistake. And hence why someone won't just get punished by doing something dumb.

Also the watch list is before banlist, a player only ends up on the banlist either by serious offence, hacking/cheating ect. Or by repeated offences, griefing/gamethrowing ect. So if a player makes a mistake that ends up punished they have the chance to learn from it.

If your looking for a definition. Gamethrowing is when you intentionally go against your wincon. Key word intention.

There is reactionary gamethrowing also, which is very similar, but it's in reaction to something and the players emotion has overridden their common sense, which we don't punish as severely. After all 90% of us are human.

For examples, I'll just point to our entire open list of punishments that have happened due to gamethrow.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

3. ISO #3

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    I think the worst part of our community is that everytime someone does a dumb or misinformed thing they are accused of throwing and bashed repeatedly. I am not making this post because people have unjustly done it to me, I am making it because I see new players being scared off by people spamming "YOU FUCKING THREW I AM REPORTING YOU @#%@#%!#@%". This is a serious issue because it is unlikely SC2 will get that many new players from now on. If the few new players to mafia are scared off by salty players, without any growth, the community will inevitably die.
    Oh yeah I think some players to chill out. We should be cultivating a welcoming and friendly environment, instead of scaring off new members of our community.

But I don't think the problem is THAT widespread.

There will, understandably, always be players who get exceptionally upset at losing and start lashing out, but generally the community's alright.

Your friendly neighbourhood Asian.

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter350 View Post
    Oh yeah I think some players to chill out. We should be cultivating a welcoming and friendly environment, instead of scaring off new members of our community.

There will, understandably, always be players who get exceptionally upset at losing and start lashing out, but generally the community's alright.
    It is THAT widespread. The two reasons why new players don't stay are:
    1) they don't understand anything and they don't want to learn anything.
    2) the community is salty bad shit insulting trolling throwing.

Even if the report doesn't end in a punishment, the newcomer is still scared and flees I've seen that many times and it's very hard to stop a scared player from running away... also the community is not generally alright, it's generally salty xD
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

5. ISO #5

I realize it is the natural knee-jerk reaction to think every time someone does the wrong thing and you lose because of it, that person was "throwing".

I would like to open this thread up to hear from the entire community what you think throwing really is.

So, basically, I want this thread to be an opportunity for the community to decide what is really an example of "throwing" and what is not. I would love to hear specific game examples and why you think it is or is not throwing.
    Well, it IS throwing. That's why there is "Intentional" gamethrowing. I think there are three gamethrowing categories: the intent gamethrow, the reactionary gamethrow and the unintentional gamethrow. Unintentional is simply a terribly bad move, like lynching a confirmed because you didn't pay attention.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

6. ISO #6

like you?
    I Like Ice Cream

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Efekannn02 View Post
    wanna bet?
    No thanks, I don't gamble.

Only time I got punished was because I didn't know my action constitutes an offense, and I wasn't even angry at the time I made the offense. Also, that was about 2 years ago iirc? I have long learned from that mistake.

10. ISO #10

No thanks, I don't gamble.

Only time I got punished was because I didn't know my action constitutes an offense, and I wasn't even angry at the time I made the offense. Also, that was about 2 years ago iirc? I have long learned from that mistake.
    are you sure? wanna test it?
    I Like Ice Cream

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

test if you truly are incapable of breaking the rules without wanting it
    I don't break hard rules, but I'm sure if you look hard enough you can report me for griefing when I rant in-game. However, that's the extent of it.

I don't deny my shortcomings and I listen to reason when I make a mistake and people call me out for it.

14. ISO #14

I don't break hard rules, but I'm sure if you look hard enough you can report me for griefing when I rant in-game. However, that's the extent of it.

I don't deny my shortcomings and I listen to reason when I make a mistake and people call me out for it.
    are you really sure? it kinda looks like i can trigger you pretty easily
    I Like Ice Cream

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17
    Ganelon

To be honest, I think we should start banning 5k+ point players who lynch Marshall claims that refuse to reveal in a save with a confirmed Judge. They just throw the quality of the game into the gutter.

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post
    To be honest, I think we should start banning 5k+ point players who lynch Marshall claims that refuse to reveal in a save with a confirmed Judge. They just throw the quality of the game into the gutter.
    LOL yes. then when you reveal they bitch at you for "throwing" for revealing with a confirmed judge xD

Go here → → https://discord.gg/rYRT5Tz Type s.cat, enjoy.

21. ISO #21

The issue here is that there is some degree of ambiguity about how we should measure intent. If a player does something silly "because fuck it", then should that be classed as throwing? If they only deviate from optimal play a little, they probably won't be penalized. However, if they post "yo I'm scum and my scummates are 2 and 7" and then get lynched, they probably will be penalized. Ultimately though, in both cases they were just thinking "fuck it".

People who lose their shit generally imagine the "thrower" is in that mindset. Most people wouldn't rage at someone for simply being dumb, because people have no control over true dumbness. They rage because they think the "thrower" is being cocky and negligent, not dumb. Determining whether the thrower is negligent or stupid is difficult because in some ways stupidity and negligence are the same thing. Put bluntly, people who rage over something small are just measuring "intent" differently.

Fuck I can't leave the trolly philosophy mindset behind after posting in Efe's thread LOL.

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    The issue here is that there is some degree of ambiguity about how we should measure intent. If a player does something silly "because fuck it", then should that be classed as throwing? If they only deviate from optimal play a little, they probably won't be penalized. However, if they post "yo I'm scum and my scummates are 2 and 7" and then get lynched, they probably will be penalized. Ultimately though, in both cases they were just thinking "fuck it".

People who lose their shit generally imagine the "thrower" is in that mindset. Most people wouldn't rage at someone for simply being dumb, because people have no control over true dumbness. They rage because they think the "thrower" is being cocky and negligent, not dumb. Determining whether the thrower is negligent or stupid is difficult because in some ways stupidity and negligence are the same thing. Put bluntly, people who rage over something small are just measuring "intent" differently.

Fuck I can't leave the trolly philosophy mindset behind after posting in Efe's thread LOL.
    i like the way you are thinking dont stop please <3
    I Like Ice Cream

23. ISO #23

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post

You make some good points, but I think a lot of people use “YOU FUCKING THREW” interchangeably with “YOU DID THE WRONG THING IDIOT”, knowing full well that the guy who screwed up wasn’t doing it on purpose
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

24. ISO #24

Idk, back when I made this thread I was a little frustrated seeing new players getting yelled at for “throwing” when all they did was vote the wrong guy at 2v1 with neither player confirmed. Then they get scared off by all the people going “YOU FUCKING THREW IDIOT” or “I’m reporting you for gamethrowing!!!!” and never play mafia again. I was hoping to change that with this thread but I’ve long since (this is a year old btw) learned that anybody who cannot handle a bit of “criticism” would last about 5 seconds in the mafia community anyway

25. ISO #25

26. ISO #26

screw you i like throwers imperfectionism is the biggest step to perfectionism if there is everything going alright something is horrible wrong there must be always mistakes and wtf what the hell am i talking about?
    You are perfection

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28

Idk, back when I made this thread I was a little frustrated seeing new players getting yelled at for “throwing” when all they did was vote the wrong guy at 2v1 with neither player confirmed. Then they get scared off by all the people going “YOU FUCKING THREW IDIOT” or “I’m reporting you for gamethrowing!!!!” and never play mafia again. I was hoping to change that with this thread but I’ve long since (this is a year old btw) learned that anybody who cannot handle a bit of “criticism” would last about 5 seconds in the mafia community anyway
    Omg, I thought it was October 2018 LOL

Yh, you're right about the "criticism" thing.

29. ISO #29
    Rachyl

I think throwing is pretty much defined as tossing a game out and fully knowing that you are doing wrong. first of all, you have to have full premeditation that you are doing something wrong in mafia. and you have to act on that premeditation, that is throwing. My definition of throwing differs a little bit from the standard mafia definition of throwing because i think theyre definition is retarded and just flat out wrong. for example. they incorporated awhile back an offense known as "assisting Necroplant" and that was actually a bannable offense. for instance, a player named Formic was banned for assisting necroplant. some people just want to play the game and have fun. the whole banning system shouldnt even be allowed on sc2mafia. and second of all, mafia itself shouldnt even be a playable game, it should be banned from blizzard. because they break the rules. they break the rules so bad that people like Gastric Penguin literally go insane and create a Not Rachyl account to try and frame me, then everyone thinks that im Not Rachyl. So you see if there wasnt so many retarded rules we wouldnt have to put up with people like this. so throw the gamethrowing thing out the window and just let people play how they wanna play. I feel so bad for gastic penguin and formic because they didnt even get a chance to play the actual game, especially Formic because he assissted Necroplant. by the way, the admins from this website store and know your IP address, which is straight up criminal behavior. Ive wanted to delete my account but it wont let me, because these people are straight up creeps that want your information and to know things about you.

30. ISO #30

Quote Originally Posted by Rachyl View Post
    I think throwing is pretty much defined as tossing a game out and fully knowing that you are doing wrong. first of all, you have to have full premeditation that you are doing something wrong in mafia. and you have to act on that premeditation, that is throwing. My definition of throwing differs a little bit from the standard mafia definition of throwing because i think theyre definition is retarded and just flat out wrong. for example. they incorporated awhile back an offense known as "assisting Necroplant" and that was actually a bannable offense. for instance, a player named Formic was banned for assisting necroplant. some people just want to play the game and have fun. the whole banning system shouldnt even be allowed on sc2mafia. and second of all, mafia itself shouldnt even be a playable game, it should be banned from blizzard. because they break the rules. they break the rules so bad that people like Gastric Penguin literally go insane and create a Not Rachyl account to try and frame me, then everyone thinks that im Not Rachyl. So you see if there wasnt so many retarded rules we wouldnt have to put up with people like this. so throw the gamethrowing thing out the window and just let people play how they wanna play. I feel so bad for gastic penguin and formic because they didnt even get a chance to play the actual game, especially Formic because he assissted Necroplant. by the way, the admins from this website store and know your IP address, which is straight up criminal behavior. Ive wanted to delete my account but it wont let me, because these people are straight up creeps that want your information and to know things about you.
    ?!?!?!?!

You support Gastric Penguin??? Lmao. He got his chance, don't you worry. He also got tons of smurf accounts, I think he once flooded the forum. Oh, along with trash talking the admins and mods. Yes, just like you do rn, but even heavier.

Formic is a nice guy though, I know him from Phantom Mode and he's not a troll... but assisting Necroplant = helping someone destroy the community.

Also if you think it shouldn't be a playable game and all, why are you here? The admins aren't fucking criminals, every site does that... You should inform yourself before supporting asshole trolls and trash talking the admins.

31. ISO #31
    Rachyl

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    ?!?!?!?!

You support Gastric Penguin??? Lmao. He got his chance, don't you worry. He also got tons of smurf accounts, I think he once flooded the forum. Oh, along with trash talking the admins and mods. Yes, just like you do rn, but even heavier.

Formic is a nice guy though, I know him from Phantom Mode and he's not a troll... but assisting Necroplant = helping someone destroy the community.

Also if you think it shouldn't be a playable game and all, why are you here? The admins aren't fucking criminals, every site does that... You should inform yourself before supporting asshole trolls and trash talking the admins.
    I dont give a crap about these admins, as they have been very unfair in my punishments on the gamethrowing section of the game. I have nothing more to say. I only come here to preach my religion and play SFMS. nothing more nothing less