The meaning of Intelligence
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

Re: The meaning of Intelligence

I believe intelligence is a noun word which to me means the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills to put it briefly. Like an eminent man of great intelligence. Or do you mean the other type of intelligence such as the collection of information of military or political value? Such as a chief of military intelligence.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    It's a word that people say. I don't believe there's much more to it tbh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I want to say though that 'Emotional Intelligence' is a term who's very existence is beyond my comprehension how it's possible.

By comparison; questioning thoughts, opinions and information on logical things is just inevitable. Philosophy and critical thinking are just inevitable, they'd happen sooner or later.

But who could possibly, for example, be angry and not be convinced to know why they are angry? Who could possibly question the sources of their own feelings?

Don't get me wrong, once the term is out there it's out there. But someone had to be the first - and it's beyond my comprehension how someone did it. The way I see the human species, it's blowing my mind how that was possible. Now that's 'intelligence'!
    Last edited by OzyWho; August 6th, 2021 at 12:22 AM.

8. ISO #8

I want to say though that 'Emotional Intelligence' is a term who's very existence is beyond my comprehension how it's possible.

By comparison; questioning thoughts, opinions and information on logical things is just inevitable. Philosophy and critical thinking are just inevitable, they'd happen sooner or later.

But who could possibly, for example, be angry and not be convinced to know why they are angry? Who could possibly question the sources of their own feelings?

Don't get me wrong, once the term is out there it's out there. But someone had to be the first - and it's beyond my comprehension how someone did it. The way I see the human species, it's blowing my mind how that was possible. Now that's 'intelligence'!
    Well without pretending I'm any good at psychology if 'Emotional Intelligence' were a thing, it'd likely be empathy.

Empathy is often thought of as a mindfulness to another's emotional state and I think that's fair. It can used to help or hinder. You don't get a full grasp of sadism, torture or exploiting grief without a firm grasp of empathy.

From what I've seen, historically, the coldest murderers usually lack this, whereas the most heinous premeditating sons of bitches have it cooked out in a 12-point-plan.

Being aware of it doesn't invalidate whether it exists but then again maybe it's just another label for something else? Not sure.
    (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)ﻭ 레드벨벳 ! ! ٩(♡ε♡ )۶

9. ISO #9

From a different perspective.

I think people feel like another person is intelligent when they themselves feel understood?

Similarly, I think coming to a disagreement without any negative feelings on either side is intelligent enough for anyone to aim for. And if by any chance it happens thanks to one party, then I think the other/-s could feel like that one elevated their own intelligence. Does this make sense?

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Frinckles View Post
    Well without pretending I'm any good at psychology if 'Emotional Intelligence' were a thing, it'd likely be empathy.

Empathy is often thought of as a mindfulness to another's emotional state and I think that's fair. It can used to help or hinder. You don't get a full grasp of sadism, torture or exploiting grief without a firm grasp of empathy.

From what I've seen, historically, the coldest murderers usually lack this, whereas the most heinous premeditating sons of bitches have it cooked out in a 12-point-plan.

Being aware of it doesn't invalidate whether it exists but then again maybe it's just another label for something else? Not sure.
    Ftr, emotional intelligence is a thing and it is about ones own emotions and not that of others or empathy.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    I believe intelligence is a noun word which to me means the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills to put it briefly. Like an eminent man of great intelligence. Or do you mean the other type of intelligence such as the collection of information of military or political value? Such as a chief of military intelligence.
    What Rumox said here is the "standard" definition of intelligence, I think. That's how people generally use the word. Now, if you're trying to create categories of intelligence or to quantify it... that seems to be very hard to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    What Rumox said here is the "standard" definition of intelligence, I think. That's how people generally use the word. Now, if you're trying to create categories of intelligence or to quantify it... that seems to be very hard to do.
    That's how I define the word 'Genius' tbh.

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    Most of my posts have me rambling about my thoughts on a subject but recently poking this in a more focused way I have come to believe I have lost my way and have no understanding of what other people think on the subject.

That said, What does intelligence mean to you?
    i think everyone adopts a definition of intelligence that puts themselves highest

Some people will say that knowing the most things makes you the most intelligent
    Some people will say that being able to learn new things the most quickly makes you the most intelligent
    Some people will say that doing the best thing all the time makes you the most intelligent (IE an intelligent person would never drink alcohol or turn in an assignment late, would get all As)

and then there are further qualifications for each, for example a "knowing the most things" person could say "oh but knowing a lot about some video game characters is stupid. Knowing about history makes you smart"
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    i think everyone adopts a definition of intelligence that puts themselves highest

Some people will say that knowing the most things makes you the most intelligent
    Some people will say that being able to learn new things the most quickly makes you the most intelligent
    Some people will say that doing the best thing all the time makes you the most intelligent (IE an intelligent person would never drink alcohol or turn in an assignment late, would get all As)

and then there are further qualifications for each, for example a "knowing the most things" person could say "oh but knowing a lot about some video game characters is stupid. Knowing about history makes you smart"
    With how the term gets applied in practice, I understood it to simply mean "good brain" and mean whatever the speaker happens to define as good... so basically this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

15. ISO #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwrath View Post
    <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
    @<a href="https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/member.php?u=30619" target="_blank">Light_Yagami</a>
    <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> - based on your definition of intelligence and alt-right views, would you admit that you have a low level of intelligence?

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

4464d1e63870a2de6f3da979cc29b257.png

I am being serious: none of you are intelligent enough to understand why you're stupid. Usually I'm memeing or injecting a little bit of irony for fun but there is no irony here. All of you, with one or two exceptions, have little more than a thimbleful of political credibility and it stems from your complete inability to think through or research your points beyond coming to a conclusion spoon-fed to you by the culture around you since birth. None of you have the intellectual capacity to question the world around you and at least half of you don't even have the potential to develop it.

19. ISO #19

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    IQ test is the only true form of measuring intelligence, which is different from knowledge.

https://sifter.org/iqtest/

Post your scores, I have 150/133.
    Skimmed it and got 114. I must be average : )

@Helz
    What do you think of the idea to divide intelligence into different categories, and have it be different kinds of intelligence; like mathematical intelligence, musical, linguistical, etc.?
    https://youtu.be/oY2C4YgXm7I
    I very much like the idea. For a very long time I have disliked how IQ is quantified and how it places people with a very specific set of skills as 'Smart.' I do understand why logical/mathematical reasoning and pattern recognition is valued but I feel it does a great disservice to how people view themselves as well as invalidating many skills of value.

On that video something I had never considered is the idea of existential intelligence. Kinda tickled my brain in a pleasant way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plotato View Post
    4464d1e63870a2de6f3da979cc29b257.png

I am being serious: none of you are intelligent enough to understand why you're stupid. Usually I'm memeing or injecting a little bit of irony for fun but there is no irony here. All of you, with one or two exceptions, have little more than a thimbleful of political credibility and it stems from your complete inability to think through or research your points beyond coming to a conclusion spoon-fed to you by the culture around you since birth. None of you have the intellectual capacity to question the world around you and at least half of you don't even have the potential to develop it.
    I do agree that understanding our ignorance holds more value than understanding itself and that lateral thinking to break away from established positions is skill of great value but what do you consider potential? What else do you feel is a real indicator of intelligence?

20. ISO #20

you are replying to a copypasta in sincere earnest which is both funny and sad at the same time so im going to opine a actual serious food for thought for you wannabe nerds to consume

- do you have to be "right" to be intelligent? for instance, science is all about theory of which we can try to prove or disprove. just because we "prove" something doesn't mean its "right". that's why in science we never call anything "proof" but "theory". a good scientist should be able to apply a logic to reach a conclusion, and be able to either buttress or disprove his theory with logic. evidently we can be wrong and yet intelligent at the same time. yes? no? maybe?

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by Plotato View Post
    you are replying to a copypasta in sincere earnest which is both funny and sad at the same time so im going to opine a actual serious food for thought for you wannabe nerds to consume

- do you have to be "right" to be intelligent? for instance, science is all about theory of which we can try to prove or disprove. just because we "prove" something doesn't mean its "right". that's why in science we never call anything "proof" but "theory". a good scientist should be able to apply a logic to reach a conclusion, and be able to either buttress or disprove his theory with logic. evidently we can be wrong and yet intelligent at the same time. yes? no? maybe?
    The question borders on rhetorical but obviously no. Einstein rejected the basics of quantum physics famously saying "God does not play dice" yet he was intelligent enough for his name to be tied to the very concept of intelligence.

A strong sign of intelligence I look for in people is the ability to exercise lateral thought. As a society we glorify depth in vertical thinking but innovation holds greater value in many respects. The difference in brilliance to dive deeply into a concept vs discovering a concept is substantial.

Over the last two years something I have been struggling with is why people are so closed minded. How its so normal to see any position that is not directly in line with the common thought process as opposed to it. Although I see metacognition as a construct that can effectively create and increase intelligence something I have recently been wondering about is where the will and drive to do so comes from. Some people just want to lift, some people just want to fuck and some people just want to understand. But I don't understand why and I want to. Something is there that I can not quite see but I think I can figure it out if I have enough time. Or maybe I am just so far gone I just think I can and can't recognize my own insanity : )

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    Skimmed it and got 114. I must be average : )
    Above average (100), thanks for sharing. It takes a lot of balls to share your score. But the point here is that intelligence is worthless. What matters more is knowledge. I can have 150/133 IQ and I don't know anything about fixing cars or bikes. As long as the spirit is willing to learn even after school ends, you're already better than 70% of the population out there.
    Last edited by HentaiManOfPeace; September 17th, 2021 at 02:02 PM.

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    IQ test is the only true form of measuring intelligence, which is different from knowledge.

https://sifter.org/iqtest/

Post your scores, I have 150/133.
    0/133. Makes sense. I didn't know how to submit my score.

Ontopic: the more i grow older the more i think having a better memory is a sign of intelligence and my memory is kind of shit.

U can be good at pattern recognition (which is really alll IQ is measuring), but have shit memory and ur IQ is fucking meaningless. If you can't retain the information/patterns u see to apply them over and over, its like having a gun with only one bullet. Sure, its nice to have if you need it but you only have one shot.
    Don't pet growlithe, he will bite you.

25. ISO #25

Quote Originally Posted by Firebringer View Post
    0/133. Makes sense. I didn't know how to submit my score.

Ontopic: the more i grow older the more i think having a better memory is a sign of intelligence and my memory is kind of shit.

U can be good at pattern recognition (which is really alll IQ is measuring), but have shit memory and ur IQ is fucking meaningless. If you can't retain the information/patterns u see to apply them over and over, its like having a gun with only one bullet. Sure, its nice to have if you need it but you only have one shot.
    Actually, linguistic skills are also commonly measured in traditional IQ tests.
    Last edited by OzyWho; September 17th, 2021 at 10:02 PM.

26. ISO #26

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28

29. ISO #29

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Working memory (kind of like RAM in a computer) is directly related to intelligence
    Any source?

I remember many years ago Dual-N-Back was heavily advertised as increasing one's intelligence by exercising working memory.
    But when I looked into the associated studies myself, I came to the conclusion that the only objective conclusion that it came to was that playing Dual-N-Back makes you only better at Dual-N-Back.
    Same story for all brain games. Maybe some have provided some anecdotal evidence that such exercises can increase IQ by a few points, but imho that might just be when someone hasn't "used brain" for a very long time.

Similarly, Jordan Peterson claims to have looked into IQ related studies very extensively and found nothing that could increase it.

It's a very romantic idea, that brain exercises could increase one's IQ. I can see why such ideas can easily spread. But I've never found any evidence for - only the contrary.

Edit: before someone wants to call me out of doing a false equivalency of intelligence=IQ, I want to quote:
    Intelligence is the mental ability to respond to new and changing situations in a purposeful way that demonstrates comprehension, learning, abstract thinking, and problem solving capabilities. An IQ is a number that attempts to measure a person's intelligence.
    Though, there's also..
    Some scientists argue that intelligence is such a complicated concept that comes in so many different flavors, that it is impossible to condense it all into a single number. One common theory, proposed by psychologist Howard Gardner, is that there are eight different types of intelligence: interpersonal, intrapersonal, kinesthetic, linguistic, logical, musical, naturalistic, and spatial.
    Traditional IQ tests do a good job of measuring linguistic and logical intelligence, but they fail to measure intelligence in the other areas.
    Last edited by OzyWho; September 18th, 2021 at 07:56 PM.

30. ISO #30

31. ISO #31

Well, working memory is certainly very valuable in the rapidly evolving environment of spoken conversation. But if you are working in solitude, a pen and paper can to a great degree compensate for a limited working memory (obviously) but not entirely (perhaps less obviously).

Anecdotally, I do think working memory can be improved. I've definitely felt that over the years. Maybe it's not my working memory but my understanding of how it actually functions that's improved. If you organise your thoughts in your head and work on things piece by piece rather than running back and forth between things like a scatterbrain you're much less likely to drop things. If you can give key ideas and thoughts associations or links to other information you greatly increase your ability to remember them. You can put more trust in your brain than ppl realize and just completely drop an idea. If you have made decent associations you will probably be able to pick it back up later.

On another note, I think one thing that people can easily overlook in conversations about intelligence is how our idea of what intelligence even is on a practical level shifts with the changing needs and capabilities of human society. Paper is a good one, because paper is a huge game changer, yet we totally take it for granted. It's so taken for granted that people fucking give the IQ test on paper lmao. But people wouldn't have always thought that way. When truly trying to measure "natural intelligence" people would have sought to avoid paper when it was still a fresh technology, and all the questions would be oral. And letting people scribble on paper would have been viewed like letting people use google midway through a test, though I understand the questions in these tests don't reward scribbling things down much anyway.

p;edit they don't allow you to scribble, fair enough.
    Last edited by yzb25; September 19th, 2021 at 03:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.