Random Thoughts
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Random Thoughts

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

Re: Random Thoughts

When millenials/zoomers get old and start entering power, all the things that entertained us will gain "prestige" and probably start being regarded as "intellectual" pasttimes. It's weird to imagine a future where people study video games at school and analyze their effects, or analyze the production process of an anime. Youtubers get more views than old media, which can't shun them forever. Youtubers will start getting awards and have documentaries about their work and shit. There will be youtubers who challenge the medium in unexpected ways and whatnot eventually.

Or maybe our generation truly is too degenerate to be recognised. I dunno, if Oprah can be "respected", I see no reason a youtuber can't. And if films can be "art", I see no reason video games or anime can't. I think there's already been art exhibits for video games, which used to be a very nerdy, niche pasttime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

3. ISO #3

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    When millenials/zoomers get old and start entering power, all the things that entertained us will gain "prestige" and probably start being regarded as "intellectual" pasttimes. It's weird to imagine a future where people study video games at school and analyze their effects, or analyze the production process of an anime. Youtubers get more views than old media, which can't shun them forever. Youtubers will start getting awards and have documentaries about their work and shit. There will be youtubers who challenge the medium in unexpected ways and whatnot eventually.

Or maybe our generation truly is too degenerate to be recognised. I dunno, if Oprah can be "respected", I see no reason a youtuber can't. And if films can be "art", I see no reason video games or anime can't. I think there's already been art exhibits for video games, which used to be a very nerdy, niche pasttime.
    Nice one, and very true, too. The new "music masters", the Beethoven and Tchaïkovsky of our time, are in video games and movies. Hans Zimmer comes to mind as an example.

Mine: Religious people who are "altruist" solely because they fear God and want to "save their soul" don't realize they're not actually being altruist, so it technically doesn't work... I guess the point is that it ends up becoming real altruism after a while, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post

Within the lexicon of the "educated artist" anything that was created to give someone an "aesthetic experience" is art. Having an "aesthetic experience" is feeling an emotion. Any critic worth their weight in dogshit has already recognized video games as art.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Nice one, and very true, too. The new "music masters", the Beethoven and Tchaïkovsky of our time, are in video games and movies. Hans Zimmer comes to mind as an example.

Mine: Religious people who are "altruist" solely because they fear God and want to "save their soul" don't realize they're not actually being altruist, so it technically doesn't work... I guess the point is that it ends up becoming real altruism after a while, though.
    Perpendicularly related; I like to quote Matthew 6:5 at Christians who say shit like "GOD BLESS president DONALD J TRUM,P" on Facebook.

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

Spamming about your religion on Facebook is the new version of praying on street corners and in synagogues. It's a dog and pony show, just meant to build some "holier than thou" equity to use later when they're judging the fuck out of everyone for every little thing.
    FMX: fm Kevinpowers - Citizen (WIN)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I will go ahead and fuck this cat
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Heavy Handed View Post
    yeah I'm not gonna sit around here analyzing the fucking particle fluctuations in the quantum foam or whatever the fuck trying to find shit on D1

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

Unlike atheists who don't have to follow any rules because rules are beneath them :P
    I think morality is more important for religious faith than the notion of God. Like as far as I'm concerned God may or may not exist but I'm 100% convinced that something like a 'divine' morality exists that you have to follow or mother nature screws you over. Eat your own people? Here's a neurological disorder headed your way. Selfishly care only about yourself? You've got no friends - and you're fucked when you're down at the bottom with nobody to help you. Tell too many lies? People will no longer trust you and nobody will believe what you have to say.
    Last edited by Oberon; January 31st, 2021 at 12:06 PM.

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Unlike atheists who don't have to follow any rules because rules are beneath them :P
    I think morality is more important for religious faith than the notion of God. Like as far as I'm concerned God may or may not exist but I'm 100% convinced that something like a 'divine' morality exists that you have to follow or mother nature screws you over. Eat your own people? Here's a neurological disorder headed your way. Selfishly care only about yourself? You've got no friends - and you're fucked when you're down at the bottom with nobody to help you. Tell too many lies? People will no longer trust you and nobody will believe what you have to say.
    We know almost nothing for certain - all of our external claims are predicated on the assumption that our senses and reasoning correlate with reality.

What this means is that, technically speaking, everything is subjective.
    Is the earth a sphere or do we just believe so?

Technically, we don't know - we believe. But we believe so based on scientific objective observations.

Would you call you being attracted to someone as a scientifically objective conclusion, based on your own observation?
    Would you call you having a moral compass a scientifically objective conclusion, based on your own observation?

I assume you wouldn't call you being attracted to someone as divine attraction. Neither should you call morality divine.

Only difference is that one can be explained more at this time. Don't goYou shouldn't calling everything you don't understand as Divine.

What you explained is connected to a term called "natural selection" or "evolution" - I believe.
    Last edited by OzyWho; January 31st, 2021 at 02:02 PM.

8. ISO #8

Well the point of religion isn't for it to be objective. It's based on faith which has nothing to do with the objective world. Faith cannot be questioned. I believe in that divine morality although of course I wouldn't try to prove it (even though I think we will eventually discover that there is an objective morality as well). It's a matter of faith, not of scientific enquiry. I was just slightly miffed at the suggestion that religious ppl only acted 'good' because they were afraid God would strike them down. I absolutely believe such people do exist but I don't think it's true of most religious people.

Also, natural selection selecting for a certain morality kind of proves that morality is 'divine' to begin with. In my view if there is a fundamental, objective moral reality with its own laws that can be tested and verified then it should be reflected in the natural world as well. Which it is via natural selection.

And for the record no I don't think what I said above is true of all atheists, you don't need to believe in God to be moral, my point was that you could say the same about atheists and it is unfair to discredit religious people for something atheists also do.

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by FrostByte View Post
    Within the lexicon of the "educated artist" anything that was created to give someone an "aesthetic experience" is art. Having an "aesthetic experience" is feeling an emotion. Any critic worth their weight in dogshit has already recognized video games as art.

Perpendicularly related; I like to quote Matthew 6:5 at Christians who say shit like "GOD BLESS president DONALD J TRUM,P" on Facebook.

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

Spamming about your religion on Facebook is the new version of praying on street corners and in synagogues. It's a dog and pony show, just meant to build some "holier than thou" equity to use later when they're judging the fuck out of everyone for every little thing.
    Absolutely true. When I read that verse, I actually thought about the guys preaching in the general SC2 channels at first xD. Like it's going to achieve anything. All that can be is vanity if it's serious, or trolling. @Saint Joan Of Arc
    =)
    (=
    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I don't think he meant all religious people. Though I don't think he implied any amount.
    My assumption was "ahh he means like the rare 1% or something probably".
    Would be nice to know of what proportions of people he had in mind. @Marshmallow Marshall
    Not a rare 1 %, but definetly not all religious people either. It's a common misunderstanding of the religious altruism principle, which means it's quite widespread without applying to everyone.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

11. ISO #11

This is a fresh thought, stemming directly off of @yzb25 's post.

I don't understand the separate classification of anime compared to other TV programs. Anime is an art style and is a type of film. It's a separate type of cartoon.

It annoys me when someone asks me if I watch "anime". That's such a broad term. That's like asking someone if they watch movies. There are a lot of different types of anime, just as there are a lot of different types of movies. Anime has genres just as movies do or other TV series do. Even though by virtue of being a cartoon it doesn't have access to every single genre (imagine a documentary animated entirely in anime style, or reality TV), it's still just an art style. When someone says they only watch anime it irks me to no end. You're shutting out upwards of 50% of media because it's not japanese cartoons? I don't understand it.

But then again I don't enjoy the general art style, so who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

No
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

15. ISO #15

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post

I don't understand the separate classification of anime compared to other TV programs. Anime is an art style and is a type of film. It's a separate type of cartoon.

It annoys me when someone asks me if I watch "anime". That's such a broad term. That's like asking someone if they watch movies. There are a lot of different types of anime, just as there are a lot of different types of movies. Anime has genres just as movies do or other TV series do. Even though by virtue of being a cartoon it doesn't have access to every single genre (imagine a documentary animated entirely in anime style, or reality TV), it's still just an art style. When someone says they only watch anime it irks me to no end. You're shutting out upwards of 50% of media because it's not japanese cartoons? I don't understand it.

What are the different types of anime? Or cartoons for that matter.

16. ISO #16

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    What are the different types of anime? Or cartoons for that matter.
    I’m no cinema expert but really I view it as two groups and then multiple genres from the groups.

You’ve got cartoons directed at a younger audience via cartoons directed at an older audience. The Simpsons vs Tom and Jerry.

From there your cartoons break into the different genres as any type of film media would.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

17. ISO #17

I never watched anime because... idk, the culture around it doesn't appeal to me. But does that mean anime in itself is inferior to other forms of fiction? Absolutely not. There could be very serious and deep cartoons, and there probably are, actually, given the amount of anime around.

18. ISO #18

I never watched anime because... idk, the culture around it doesn't appeal to me. But does that mean anime in itself is inferior to other forms of fiction? Absolutely not. There could be very serious and deep cartoons, and there probably are, actually, given the amount of anime around.
    One Piece is 1000 chapters deep and will go on for several more years at least. The depth is great. It's serial, not episodic - so it's an ongoing story.
    The story maker knew how it will end before he made the first chapter 20+ years ago, and works on getting closer to it with every chapter. (This excludes anime though as it has filler episodes and even arcs)
    With an attention to detail that has gained him the nickname Goda. If you ever feel like trying Manga - I recommend One Piece. But it'd take some months to catch up probably.
    Watching that amount of anime episodes would be quite the commitment though.

19. ISO #19

+1. There are some cartoons that are genuinely well made, like Tom and Jerry (and incidentally some animes). Hell you could say many cartoons are better than some of the movies that get made nowadays 😂😂

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

there are "very serious and deep cartoons", depending on what that means. These two films got international recognition from film directors -

Akira (198 is a cyberpunk set in a shithole future Tokyo in the aftermath of an apocalyptic war. It follows this futureless delinquent who awakens psychic powers.

Perfect Blue (1997) is a psychological thriller about a pop idol going through a painful transitional stage in her career while dealing with a stalker.

What's nice about those ones is they precede the modern "culture". So there's not any sexualized cartoon women, over-the-top goofy characters, or any stuff like that. But you'd probably have to watch them somewhere dodgy or torrent them.

People also bring up Ghost in the Shell (1995) but I'm probably not enough of an art snob to appreciate that one without rewatching it. Maybe you'd get it tho. It also got critical acclaim, but I found the other two were extremely enjoyable films in their own right.

There's also Studio Ghibli films (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke). The nice thing about those is that they're on netflix rn. They're kind of like what modern disney films may have been if modern disney films still used cel animation. Gorgeous-looking children's movies with interesting themes.
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

23. ISO #23

tbh, most films have wonky things that don't need to be there or moments that feel off. That's kinda true of Akira as well. However, Perfect Blue is one of the cleanest mindfucks I've ever seen. That thing had me by the balls after 20 mins. It fucks with your sense of reality in a way that could only happen if you're watching an animation where everything is already unreal, in a way that is very thematically relevant to the life of a pop idol, which is inherently a facade.

24. ISO #24

It annoys me when someone asks me if I watch "anime". That's such a broad term.
    I just say "no that shit is stupid"

I've tried a few times. Tried Death Note. Tried Attack on Titan. Tried a few more obscure ones with Japanese names I can't remember. It's just so fucking cringe. I hate it.
    FMX: fm Kevinpowers - Citizen (WIN)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I will go ahead and fuck this cat
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Heavy Handed View Post
    yeah I'm not gonna sit around here analyzing the fucking particle fluctuations in the quantum foam or whatever the fuck trying to find shit on D1

25. ISO #25

Quote Originally Posted by FrostByte View Post
    I just say "no that shit is stupid"

I've tried a few times. Tried Death Note. Tried Attack on Titan. Tried a few more obscure ones with Japanese names I can't remember. It's just so fucking cringe. I hate it.
    Welp, honesty is a virtue xD. Can't really go against what you're saying because I haven't watched any personally.