Logo simplification
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Logo simplification

I want to bring forth the quick idea of updating the sites Logo. Simplify it.

Why simplify?
    I haven't dwelled deeply into this idea, the science behind it or whatever, but Google spits out some quick reasonings for it:

"A simple logo is not only easier to absorb and understand, it's easier to recall when they see it again. It's easier to associate with positive experiences because it triggers crucial memory centres in the brain, rather than confusing the brain with unclear messages, or overloading it with too many messages."

"In order to get a digital facelift and appear fresh and modern, experienced brands are smoothing out the details of their logos and brand graphics. Simplification of logos gives your company a rejuvenated update, while still preserving the established brand reputation."

Quite a few companies have simplified their logos over the last years. So much so that logo oversimplification has become a meme.

2. ISO #2

Re: Logo simplification

Granted

Our new logo is inspired by the new firefox logo. It’s no longer a hat or any letters. It’s just lines and a circle.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Simple logos usually look better, but our current logo is already simple enough. Why simplify it further?
    As far as logos go, it's as complicated as it could possibly be, and as such it has no benefits that simple logos could give. Which I'm still unsure of what they are though tbh. I just see that all the big companies went that route so I think there must be something to it.

Complex logos have their benefit too though. As far as this document is concerned, complex logos benefit from long term exposure to them. But that doesn't really make the site appealing to people unfamiliar with the site, now does it?

Anyhow. As far as some specific design alternatives go, there's a few choices:

-Could amplify a response by making a "baby face". A nice round SC2 with the hat on top. With contrasting colors perhaps. Though, given our theme, I would prefer a "negative space gun" pointed at it.

-Induce Novel Stimuli by designing the logo in a unique shape. Survival instincts find new stuff interesting.

-Could make the logo either more Agressive Dominant or Friendly Submissive just by changing the text format. I think that making it Agressive Dominant would be the easiest because it's already pretty Agressive Dominant. First I thought by making the text go upwards like the Adidas logo, but now I think it's even easier with asymmetry - just make that last "a" taller.
    Though I don't like that the logo seems bland and boring by it's proposition density (amount of information conveyed per unit element) being 1 or less than 1. 3 for 3 or 2 for 3, depending on if you count in 2 identical informations.

-Make use of the Von Restorff effect by making "afia" in the logo be in the same color as "Sc2".

I realize these weren't examples on making the logo simpler, except the baby face, but I'm just waffling here tbh.
    Last edited by OzyWho; March 8th, 2021 at 02:10 PM.

5. ISO #5

MafiaUniverse has a logo as simple as it can get.
    If I observe my emotions, I can clearly see that I have a much more positive response to theirs than this - and I even observe that in my emotions their logo is directly connected to all my experiences there and vice versa. While when I think about my experiences I SC2Mafia, no logo or symbol comes to mind. Maybe that hat if stretch it.
    Clearly the effect is significant when even I can casually observe it in myself when observing my emotions.

Mafiascum don't have a logo simple enough for that effect either, but their logo is intriguing when you look at it.

Honestly, I would be satisfied by even just removing the white in the text.

6. ISO #6

"M with iconic mafia hat" seems simple enough to me. So does "Sc2 Mafia" with the iconic hat. The hat is even here as a tool to mark sections as read on the forum homepage. If anything, perhaps the border of "Sc2" could be red like the border of "Mafia" to simplify and fit with the black & red theme more; that has always slightly bugged me. That being said, when I think about any organization, I don't think about a logo, but about content/events and sometimes about people. Is it really that common to visualize logos? It doesn't seem that important to me, tbh.

Here's a simplified logo for you ;)

/|\
    / \
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

[THREAD PARENTHESIS]
    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    I swear I thought this thread was going to be trashing MU for removing the noose from it's icon because it's "rAcIsT".
    This conflict mentality is exactly what made this site's conversations devolve into something less fun than what it used to be. We're coming out of it. I completely disagree with the entire mentality behind the change, but just publicly trashing a site for having different political opinions at its head is not exactly what makes things fun lol. So I say: let's try to get past this and discuss our own logo's colors instead

[/THREAD PARENTHESIS]
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

9. ISO #9

On a similar note: after going to many mafia sites, I happily conclude that ours is not only the best, but also the most beautiful. This specific black & red theme is just unbeatable, and our logo reflects that theme pretty well imo.

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    On a similar note: after going to many mafia sites, I happily conclude that ours is not only the best, but also the most beautiful. This specific black & red theme is just unbeatable, and our logo reflects that theme pretty well imo.
    Thematically I agree. But some other sites look more modern though. Probably because they are.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Thematically I agree. But some other sites look more modern though. Probably because they are.
    More modern =/= more beautiful. Old things are often more elegant - or at least, old things that were good enough to survive to our times -.

12. ISO #12

meh, at the bottom of the page u can switch from darkcore to vbulletin default style and it will look pretty much the same as a couple of the other sites.

But yes, it is outdated. However I haven't seen many forum-centric styles that look really modern. It would probably be detrimental to use a single page JS site when 99% of the people are here to use the forum aspect only
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    meh, at the bottom of the page u can switch from darkcore to vbulletin default style and it will look pretty much the same as a couple of the other sites.

But yes, it is outdated. However I haven't seen many forum-centric styles that look really modern. It would probably be detrimental to use a single page JS site when 99% of the people are here to use the forum aspect only
    How would you compare these sites to SC2Mafia?
    https://www.mafiathesyndicate.com/index.php?
    https://forum.mafia451.com/
    https://www.mafiacolosseum.com/

For me, the first 2:
    -on the one hand, feel modern.
    -on the other hand, really missing that "latest forum posts" list in them.

That 3rd, best of all worlds. Perfection imo.

14. ISO #14

I mean just looking on my phone the 3rd one really doesn’t look much different from ours on the default style. They replace our top nav bar with a prettier drop down menu but the actual forums seems to be the same with different colors

I think the page also looks prettier just cuz they have less categories

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

@aamirus
    Idk whom I should ping, so I just ping you.

Didn't want to make a new thread for this quick question:
    Would it be possible to make it so we can see the Discord chat from the Forum like this site?
    Interesting, it seems like several different people have posted solutions on git. I’ll play around with it

18. ISO #18

How would you compare these sites to SC2Mafia?
    https://www.mafiathesyndicate.com/index.php?
    https://forum.mafia451.com/
    https://www.mafiacolosseum.com/

For me, the first 2:
    -on the one hand, feel modern.
    -on the other hand, really missing that "latest forum posts" list in them.

That 3rd, best of all worlds. Perfection imo.
    https://www.mafiathesyndicate.com/index.php It's hard to tell what this is
    https://forum.mafia451.com/ Looks super dated....
    https://www.mafiacolosseum.com/ Apo feels like this at least has some purpose to it and is sleek

Honestly, the fedora hat has a nice appeal, but it's so closely connected to RedHat....

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Look what you have caused. Seems like everyone who posted is now confused about their own gender and are venting their frustration into opinions.

19. ISO #19