The status of SC2 Mafia FM, and how we can (and must) improve it - Page 2
Register

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. ISO #51

Re: The status of SC2 Mafia FM, and how we can (and must) improve it

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    You seriously think memes are better??? lol
    We went to other sites countless times. no one ever comes back. Best you can do is find a sister site that uses the playerbase from both sites for games on both sites.

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

2. ISO #52

3. ISO #53

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    I got the feeling that if we hard applied the General Discussion rules we would be raged at. Like a lot.
    Like no necroposting and no spamming threads *coughefekannn02cough*

And LOL no insulting other members.

Your friendly neighbourhood Asian.

4. ISO #54

Try talking to people in unrelated circles, or even IRL. IRL people seem the most amenable cuz when you're talking to someone IRL you can convey how much it means to you with facial expressions and stuff. Don't even tell them to play. Just share some anecdote about some antic that happened recently on the site.

When I tell people about this place, a lot of them seem interested. The main thing that puts people off is they open the site up and their first impression is: "this site looks like it's from 2004 and might give a virus" XD. The next issue is that a game requires a lot of time throughout the day to play best and a lot of people just don't have that.

There's also this weird confusing thing where you have to pm a mod for permission to post after signing up or something? idk it's weird and seems pointless.

5. ISO #55

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter350 View Post
    Like no necroposting and no spamming threads *coughefekannn02cough*

And LOL no insulting other members.
    he! *coughgyrlandercough* started the war dont blame me!

if there is a thing i know is that playing a game of patience with me is a lost case scenario i will win in the future anyway

Gyrlander should just apologize and admit he was being salty because the way he talked to me encouraged me more to be active and entertaining for you guys
    I Like Ice Cream

6. ISO #56

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Try talking to people in unrelated circles, or even IRL. IRL people seem the most amenable cuz when you're talking to someone IRL you can convey how much it means to you with facial expressions and stuff. Don't even tell them to play. Just share some anecdote about some antic that happened recently on the site.

When I tell people about this place, a lot of them seem interested. The main thing that puts people off is they open the site up and their first impression is: "this site looks like it's from 2004 and might give a virus" XD. The next issue is that a game requires a lot of time throughout the day to play best and a lot of people just don't have that.

There's also this weird confusing thing where you have to pm a mod for permission to post after signing up or something? idk it's weird and seems pointless.
    Uuuuuuuuuh.... no? Only sometimes, just to confirm that you're going to be active to avoid people who just forget about the game, so you can replace them immediatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

7. ISO #57

No it’s just that you have to verify your email for your account to be fully activated. The issue is that without verifying the email, people are still able to post in a few places which probably makes them think their account is fine - then they come back later and are confused why they can’t post in most places... it’s just cuz they never verified the email. Probably, it would be better if new accounts couldn’t do anything until they verified their email, then less people would forget to do it.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

8. ISO #58

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    No it’s just that you have to verify your email for your account to be fully activated. The issue is that without verifying the email, people are still able to post in a few places which probably makes them think their account is fine - then they come back later and are confused why they can’t post in most places... it’s just cuz they never verified the email. Probably, it would be better if new accounts couldn’t do anything until they verified their email, then less people would forget to do it.
    I shouldn't have brought that up because it happened years ago and I've probably forgotten key details lol.

So you don't ever have to PM a mod? Why did we have to do that then? XD It was probably a technical issue idk.

Uuuuuuuuuh.... no? Only sometimes, just to confirm that you're going to be active to avoid people who just forget about the game, so you can replace them immediatly.
    Is this why?

Thankyou for helping clear this up either way

9. ISO #59

I shouldn't have brought that up because it happened years ago and I've probably forgotten key details lol.

So you don't ever have to PM a mod? Why did we have to do that then? XD It was probably a technical issue idk.

Is this why?

I think the only time I ever had to PM the host was in the Masquerade Madness game, to confirm many things.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

10. ISO #60

Is this why?

Yea you don’t have to pm anybody to get activated, just have to verify your email!

11. ISO #61

Yea you don’t have to pm anybody to get activated, just have to verify your email!
    Yea, but email verification sucks so ppl usually end up pming admin to approve.

Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

12. ISO #62

This thread feels like déjà-vu

Here are a few things you can do:
    1- Vote History; the easier way of seeing vote movement, on which post each vote occurred, and a link to those specific vote posts
    2- ISO button; the easier way of seeing all posts made by a specific user in a game thread
    3- Cross-site relations; try hosting a a cross-community game, but make sure you have someone to invite

This is more of a personal taste:
    1- Just stop hosting multi-ball games; they're too swingy. When you can lynch correctly everyday and still lose, something is wrong with the setup.
    2- Keep it Simple S. I feel like most setups here start getting out of hand for the sake of creativity and chaos, but that's probably more fun for the host than it is for the players in the game.
    3- Just let Helz call the shots

Cheers
    -Frog

13. ISO #63

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post

1- Vote History; the easier way of seeing vote movement, on which post each vote occurred, and a link to those specific vote posts
    2- ISO button; the easier way of seeing all posts made by a specific user in a game thread
    3- Cross-site relations; try hosting a a cross-community game, but make sure you have someone to invite

1- Just stop hosting multi-ball games; they're too swingy. When you can lynch correctly everyday and still lose, something is wrong with the setup.
    2- Keep it Simple S. I feel like most setups here start getting out of hand for the sake of creativity and chaos, but that's probably more fun for the host than it is for the players in the game.

Cheers
    -Frog
    The 1 and 2 are just plain wrong because we don't have that lol. 3, maybe... we need to grow a bit more before starting this.

But you are right: we need to play more standard setups. I know a lot of similar threads were made in the past, but we are in a situation without any precedent on the site (as far as my knowledge goes).

Thanks for input

@ people who like to make setups: If you got ideas on balanced and simple setups, please sumbit them. I'm going to make a few myself when I have time to. This way, we can play more classic setups without it becoming boring and repetitive.

14. ISO #64

15. ISO #65
    Rachyl

I think we can improve sc 2 mafia by posting more religious posts about God. lets all start religious topics to draw people closer to God!!! ^_^

16. ISO #66
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by blinkskater View Post
    MU is another solid option cough cough
    Improving the player base wouldn't be a bad thing either...

I think our site-meta's main issue is that we focus too much on WIFOM, and that we take the mod as an example of what forum mafia play is about.

Namely:

WIFOM is. such a big thing on the site that literally every action is considered so NAI that we. get to the point where the only. things we read are either retarded slips (which by the way almost never happen) or really shallow reads like "this guy is attacking me" when there's more to player perspectives than "negative"/"positive" opinions. No two posts/positions are the same.

17. ISO #67

18. ISO #68

Quote Originally Posted by Magoroth View Post

I think our site-meta's main issue is that we focus too much on WIFOM, and that we take the mod as an example of what forum mafia play is about.

Namely:

WIFOM is. such a big thing on the site that literally every action is considered so NAI that we. get to the point where the only. things we read are either retarded slips (which by the way almost never happen) or really shallow reads like "this guy is attacking me" when there's more to player perspectives than "negative"/"positive" opinions. No two posts/positions are the same.
    Its because people post way more. And 90% of it is total waste of time and meaningless lol

19. ISO #69

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    Its because people post way more. And 90% of it is total waste of time and meaningless lol
    We need to cut on troll posting for some players, and I need to cut my own posting a bit xD

20. ISO #70

21. ISO #71

The 1 and 2 are just plain wrong because we don't have that lol. 3, maybe... we need to grow a bit more before starting this.

But you are right: we need to play more standard setups. I know a lot of similar threads were made in the past, but we are in a situation without any precedent on the site (as far as my knowledge goes).

Thanks for input

@ people who like to make setups: If you got ideas on balanced and simple setups, please sumbit them. I'm going to make a few myself when I have time to. This way, we can play more classic setups without it becoming boring and repetitive.
    Yeah, so adding Vote History and an ISO function for each post would be an easy upgrade using VBulletin. If you need help with this, I'd recommend reaching out to another mafia site admin that currently has these functions (there are many).

Standard setups don't necessarily have to mean 'boring'.

Just keep it standard:
    (Mafia * 3) + 1 = Town
    (Town - 1) / 3 = Mafia

If you want to add power roles, take a look at Matrix 12 setups for inspiration on how to balance them

So for example, you could potentially have 4 mafia vs 13 town in a 17er setup
    You could potentially double stack mafia roles to make every role a power role, or nerf certain town roles to fill it all out

This works particularly well in CLOSED setups

If you're looking for open setups -> Matrix 12 17ers are always solid

Alternatively this setup is pretty badass for a semi-open: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/19343

I read someone say here in the thread something along the lines of too much posting is a bad thing: nah

An active posting community is an active community

Just keep the toxicity in check like; recognize everyone is putting in time and effort and it's a game, keep it in perspective and have respect for fellow players

Quote Originally Posted by blinkskater View Post
    MU is another solid option cough cough
    Lol

I mean, SC2Mafia is a pretty solid fun casual community, especially on the mod in the actual SC2

I am hosting a game and you're welcome to sign for it:
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Mash 49+ game
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...-Mash-Sign-Ups

We're at 45 with 4 subs so get on it if you're interested

Starts November 12, rand starts November 9

By the way, it was a pleasure playing you blinks. I really didn't want to see you leave that last game so early.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachyl View Post
    I think we can improve sc 2 mafia by posting more religious posts about God. lets all start religious topics to draw people closer to God!!! ^_^
    I can't tell if you're well intentioned or just baiting people;

The SC2 community is by and large from the SC2 mod, a video game on the internet, revolving around a game about lying. I don't think posting about God fits this demographic or the purpose of the site, but I mean, as long as it's not hurting anyone go for it

Namely:

I mean - yeah

Play games without neutrals, a straight up Town vs Mafia

Level 1 play goes a long way to eliminate that needless style

We need to cut on troll posting for some players, and I need to cut my own posting a bit xD
    Active = good

If you want to challenge yourself, have Light games with longer phases and capped lower post counts (50 posts per day, last hour the restriction is lifted)

----------------------

I'm pretty busy until December but I'm happy to join an FM here sometime in the winter

I'll invite some dudes but ye - definitely figure out what is possible with upgrading the site tools for mafia specific purposes

Cheers

22. ISO #72

/if you're interested in community outreach, there's a massive set of ***** games going on over at MU that should be a series of 10+ games, but get on it ASAP if you're down for it

Make friends, invite them here etc.

*edit* I forgot H Y D R A was banned as a joke years back lol
    Last edited by Frog; October 28th, 2018 at 10:17 PM.

23. ISO #73

Thanks for all of this Frog! I didn't know it was possible to update the site to get the very useful features... It would be nice lol.

also dont u DARE speaking the damned word

24. ISO #74

25. ISO #75

Quote Originally Posted by Yayap View Post
    noooooooooo... don't corrupt my new mafia playerbase with the spammy illogical players from sc2. Been playing the same game there since 2015, it's only night 3 now.
    OMG you're playing that madness?? Lol.

26. ISO #76
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by Yayap View Post
    noooooooooo... don't corrupt my new mafia playerbase with the spammy illogical players from sc2. Been playing the same game there since 2015, it's only night 3 now.
    Why would you subject yourself to that self-cruelty.

27. ISO #77

Quote Originally Posted by Rachyl View Post
    We should make more posts about Satan. Let's post quotes from Satan's bible!
    [SIGPIC]Why you hold cursor on my signature picture?[/SIGPIC] A very annoying SC2Mafia player.

28. ISO #78

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post

Cheers
    -Frog
    The first two points (Vote History and ISO button) should be do-able, though idk what ISO button means (I assume it's just a way of filtering all posts in a thread by user). The second is probably available as a plugin and would be easy to do. The first would require fucking with the code I wrote however many years ago sto handle voting. It's been years since I touched that code and I honestly don't even remember how it works, but it shouldn't be incredibly difficult. If anyone knows PHP and is willing to take a crack at it I could post the source code. I could also do it myself but I've mostly moved on and it'd take up too much time to do it for free.

29. ISO #79

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    The first two points (Vote History and ISO button) should be do-able, though idk what ISO button means (I assume it's just a way of filtering all posts in a thread by user). The second is probably available as a plugin and would be easy to do. The first would require fucking with the code I wrote however many years ago sto handle voting. It's been years since I touched that code and I honestly don't even remember how it works, but it shouldn't be incredibly difficult. If anyone knows PHP and is willing to take a crack at it I could post the source code. I could also do it myself but I've mostly moved on and it'd take up too much time to do it for free.
    Filtering the thread by user is already possible too. You can either use the “search thread” button and filter by username or - more conveniently - in the forum the thread is in you can click on the total post count to be taken to a page with the individual post counts of each user in the thread. Then click the post count of one of the users to be taken to a page showing all of their posts in that thread.

30. ISO #80
    Ganelon

Filtering the thread by user is already possible too. You can either use the “search thread” button and filter by username or - more conveniently - in the forum the thread is in you can click on the total post count to be taken to a page with the individual post counts of each user in the thread. Then click the post count of one of the users to be taken to a page showing all of their posts in that thread.
    Ya but doing an "ISO" (which is of debatable usefulness, IMO) is time-consuming. MU have a specialized ISO function that allows you to simply click on the posts you want to ISO. And then. when you're done, just click *reply with quote*. Doesn't take all that much.

31. ISO #81

Ya but doing an "ISO" (which is of debatable usefulness, IMO) is time-consuming. MU have a specialized ISO function that allows you to simply click on the posts you want to ISO. And then. when you're done, just click *reply with quote*. Doesn't take all that much.
    Isnt that how this site works? Multi-quote the posts you want, then reply with quote? There are actually a few ways to do it, but really ISOs do suck. Its basically taking dozens of posts of out context lol

32. ISO #82

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    Isnt that how this site works? Multi-quote the posts you want, then reply with quote? There are actually a few ways to do it, but really ISOs do suck. Its basically taking dozens of posts of out context lol
    I agree with mag here: it would be really nice to have that. A lot of people are like "WOOOOW SO GOOOOOD" when they see that because it's useful to simply check people's posts.

33. ISO #83

Well if u guys want shit you should look up vb4 plugins to see whats possible

34. ISO #84

35. ISO #85

The time has come to necro! I've been looking through FM discussion threads pertaining to the site's evolution and the plans to make it better. If you have ideas, this is the place to share them!
    When I tell people about this place, a lot of them seem interested. The main thing that puts people off is they open the site up and their first impression is: "this site looks like it's from 2004 and might give a virus" XD.
    Can you tell me why they think that lol? It's a good way to know what is to improve.

Also, thanks to @Frog for his contributions, and to all others! Know that your thoughts are not forgotten

36. ISO #86
    Ganelon

Given that the player base has substantially increased in recent weeks, I’ve started toying with the idea of actually running the FM (New York) we were gonna run.

37. ISO #87

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    Given that the player base has substantially increased in recent weeks, I’ve started toying with the idea of actually running the FM (New York) we were gonna run.
    It's too large for now, sadly. However, it's a good idea to plan a bigger game soon! I've been toying with the idea of a bigger setup that we would play as a cross-community game. The setup would be a non-experimental one for 16-20 players, ideally closer to 16 than to 20, with some level of lore from the host (at his discretion). If anyone has suggestions for either an old setup or elements of a new setup, or wants to create a setup, it would be great!
    Setup-makers... wink wink

38. ISO #88

It's too large for now, sadly. However, it's a good idea to plan a bigger game soon! I've been toying with the idea of a bigger setup that we would play as a cross-community game. The setup would be a non-experimental one for 16-20 players, ideally closer to 16 than to 20, with some level of lore from the host (at his discretion). If anyone has suggestions for either an old setup or elements of a new setup, or wants to create a setup, it would be great!
    Setup-makers... wink wink
    We've probably got 14 currently, some of which just came off break... Soon it could work.

39. ISO #89

The bigger thing in general is retention, and I feel that a lot of the old concerns expressed in this thread still hold true. It's not so easy for me to express everything formally in a single post but I would be fine doing a Discord group discussion or something.
    Death, yet the Town.
    ~The Town Code

40. ISO #90

41. ISO #91

42. ISO #92

The time has come to necro! I've been looking through FM discussion threads pertaining to the site's evolution and the plans to make it better. If you have ideas, this is the place to share them!

Can you tell me why they think that lol? It's a good way to know what is to improve.

Also, thanks to @Frog for his contributions, and to all others! Know that your thoughts are not forgotten
    I'm don't know how to explain the gut reactions of my friends because I'm not a site designer lol. For what it's worth, I'm really fond of the site's aesthetic and interface. I'm probably too familiar with the site to assess it objectively.

If you held a gun to my head and forced me to give some kind of commentary, I might raise an issue with the colour palette on the front page. Though I understand the obvious thematic incentive to go for a black and red colour scheme on the front page, I'm not sure the way it's done... harmonizes... Again I'm not a site designer and I might be picking at something that doesn't exist.

Also, the original post I made seemed to imply I might have asked 20 people how they felt about the site, but that was actually just the reaction of 3 separate people. I'm not sure if the 3 people who said that generalize to a wider population. Maybe we should ask some newbies who may still remember their first reaction instead. That said, all the active members including the newbies have a massive sample bias as people who evidently liked or were apathetic to the aesthetic, or at least understood the intention coming from sc2mafia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

43. ISO #93

Like, I look at general discussion, and now I stop and really stare at it, I realize there's 7 different things that I can click on (8 including the cap but the cap is a dud). One button is a subscribe button that allows me to get email updates about new posts in general discussion. One button gives me the "RSS feed" of general discussion, one allows me to see the account of the last person who posted in general discussion (lol) and the last 4 take me to various parts of general discussion.

This is a wet dream for people who have been on this site for years, but I think someone visiting the site for the first time might just want a single, fat button that takes them to general discussion, and an option tucked away somewhere to give themselves more buttons to click on when they get familiar with their first few buttons lol.
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

44. ISO #94

I personally believe adding that the way to sign to a FM is writing /sign in the Sign Ups would be a great idea.

This might sound stupid, but I remember years ago when I wanted to take part in FM and I wasn't sure what was going on at all. I didn't even know if there was something else behind writing /sign or something, how would I get my role, if I only needed to write -vote X to vote someone... Writing all these little details in a clear way so anyone can find it would be a good idea.

Thank you Anonymous Donor

45. ISO #95

I personally believe adding that the way to sign to a FM is writing /sign in the Sign Ups would be a great idea.

This might sound stupid, but I remember years ago when I wanted to take part in FM and I wasn't sure what was going on at all. I didn't even know if there was something else behind writing /sign or something, how would I get my role, if I only needed to write -vote X to vote someone... Writing all these little details in a clear way so anyone can find it would be a good idea.
    Fuck, now you point it out that's so true lol. Everyone always needs to ask how to vote and half the people who sign aren't sure if they're "doing the command right" or whatever XD.

46. ISO #96

Fuck, now you point it out that's so true lol. Everyone always needs to ask how to vote and half the people who sign aren't sure if they're "doing the command right" or whatever XD.
    Yeah. I remember being afraid of writing /sign and looking stupid lol.

Thank you Anonymous Donor

47. ISO #97

Quote Originally Posted by Varcron View Post
    We've probably got 14 currently, some of which just came off break... Soon it could work.
    With a cross-community character to the game, it would probably work. There are plenty of people on MU, surely some would enjoy playing a game that's a bit bigger here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovath View Post
    The bigger thing in general is retention, and I feel that a lot of the old concerns expressed in this thread still hold true. It's not so easy for me to express everything formally in a single post but I would be fine doing a Discord group discussion or something.
    A lot of the old concerns about the site's meta have been addressed. As for retention, to some extent, it comes down to that: we cannot control people's lives. If they go on a break, it's 1) not always something bad for the person and 2) not something we can do much about. If you're in the SC2 Mafia server (the one that is linked on the homepage of the forum), it could be interesting to talk about this if you want to.

48. ISO #98

Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Alexa, shuffle "classical for sleep"
    xD
    I'm don't know how to explain the gut reactions of my friends because I'm not a site designer lol. For what it's worth, I'm really fond of the site's aesthetic and interface. I'm probably too familiar with the site to assess it objectively.

If you held a gun to my head and forced me to give some kind of commentary, I might raise an issue with the colour palette on the front page. Though I understand the obvious thematic incentive to go for a black and red colour scheme on the front page, I'm not sure the way it's done... harmonizes... Again I'm not a site designer and I might be picking at something that doesn't exist.

Also, the original post I made seemed to imply I might have asked 20 people how they felt about the site, but that was actually just the reaction of 3 separate people. I'm not sure if the 3 people who said that generalize to a wider population. Maybe we should ask some newbies who may still remember their first reaction instead. That said, all the active members including the newbies have a massive sample bias as people who evidently liked or were apathetic to the aesthetic, or at least understood the intention coming from sc2mafia.
    Ahh, ok. Just like you, I love the site's aesthetics, and did so ever since I joined. It looks like other members around think the same, so perhaps it's not that much of an issue.
    Like, I look at general discussion, and now I stop and really stare at it, I realize there's 7 different things that I can click on (8 including the cap but the cap is a dud). One button is a subscribe button that allows me to get email updates about new posts in general discussion. One button gives me the "RSS feed" of general discussion, one allows me to see the account of the last person who posted in general discussion (lol) and the last 4 take me to various parts of general discussion.

This is a wet dream for people who have been on this site for years, but I think someone visiting the site for the first time might just want a single, fat button that takes them to general discussion, and an option tucked away somewhere to give themselves more buttons to click on when they get familiar with their first few buttons lol.
    This may look dumb, but does anyone ever use the buttons for subscribing and RSS feed stuff? If not, that could probably be removed. However, the "last post in the section/thread/whatever" buttons are very useful to follow the forum's activity, along with the nice hat that changes color when you read things in the section. That should stay. Plus, they're not as mysterious as the small subscribe button.

Haha that's true! Time to fix it.

49. ISO #99

I created an announcement in the Signups section telling people to post /sign in open signups threads to sign for games. It won't appear in the signups threads themselves, but hosts can state it in their opening post anyway.

50. ISO #100