I'm having trouble understanding this conflict.
This is what I gather so far:
- The Balfour Declaration: a public statement issued by the British government in 1917 during the First World War announcing support for the establishment of a "national home for the Jewish people" in Palestine (Region, not country. Both: todays "State of Palestine" and "State of Israel".).
- On 14 May 1948 the Jewish People's Council gathered and proclaimed the establishment of a Jewish state to be known as the State of Israel.
- Immediately following the declaration of the new state, US President Harry S. Truman and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin recognized the new state.
- State of Israel occupied the West Bank and the Gaza Strip in the Six-Day War of 1967.
- On 28 October 1974, the 1974 Arab League summit held in Rabat, reaffirmed the right for the people of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip to establish an independent state.
- The Palestinian Declaration of Independence formally established the State of Palestine on 15 November 1988.
- The State of Palestine is a de jure sovereign state, recognized by 139 UN member states, in the Middle East consisting of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.
- The State of Palestine is a de facto occupied by State of Israel since aforementioned 1967.
- Hamas was founded after the "First Intifada", which was a protest by Palestinians in Israeli-occupied Palestinian territories. (1987–1993)
- On Saturday 7 October 2023 (a Sabbath day and date of several Jewish holidays Hamas began its offensive - which it named "Operation Al Aqsa Storm".
- The rest is ongoing conflict. So far there's about 5 times more Palestinians dead than Israelis, but the Palestinians tend to use more ungentlemanly warfare.
I don't wish to attempt wrapping my head around how did it come to a sovereign state being inside another sovereign state, with different religions no less.
What I am interested in, and what I don't understand:
- why doesn't State of Israel just stop occupying the territories of State of Palestine?
- are they actually occupying them still? all sources say they are, but why would Hamas attack Israelis outside of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip?
- if they are, why are Hamas labeled as "Terrorists" by all our media
(other than their ungentlemanly warfare)if all they do is fight for their independence? Independence that's recognized by 139 UN states no less.