This is partly just starting a topic on an interesting conversation we were having in Skwirl discord
Spoiler : Uvalde Shooting :

Some verified facts from the Director of Texas State Police in a special senate committee before their full investigation is concluded. I figured outlining it could contribute to the conversation of gun control

-The shooter had been charged with domestic abuse but the local courts did not report it to the federal government allowing him to pass a background check and buy firearms
-The exterior door lock failed to engage allowing the shooter uninhibited access to the building
-Even if the exterior door lock had engaged it was not built to established standards and would have been easily breached
-There was no duress (mass alert) system resulting in some teachers not knowing there was a mass shooting going on in their school for some time
-The emergency evacuation diagrams were missing in many locations and some were wrong. (They are generally used by first responders to understand building layouts and such for immediate decisions so they dont have to wait for blueprints)
-The incorrect diagrams resulted in a sniper being sent to a position in the library to have a window shot at the suspect while no such shot was possible
-The interior classroom doors were not built with hardware that allowed teachers to lock them from inside. The strike plate for the door lock was compromised. Requests were made by teachers to have the lock fixed but those requests were ignored
-The school resource officer was off location and actually drove past the shooter as he was headed towards the school
-The local Chief of police was the first on scene and took the role of scene commander personally
-The Chief of police did not have a radio resulting in him trying to coordinate the scene by phone with dispatch
-Inside of the school every agency's other than border patrols radios would not function well to communicate outside of the school
-The dispatcher conveyed the wrong room number initially briefly sending police to the wrong room
-Standard Operating Procedure for an active shooter is to immediately assault. Standard Operating Procedure for a barricaded suspect is to isolate and distract. The Chief made the decision to isolate the shooter and wait for Swat against SOP
-Multiple officers pushed to assault but were ordered to hold a perimeter and wait
-Some officers acted against orders to wait and instead evacuated children
-The state investigation concluded within 3 minutes enough officers (7) were on site with appropriate equipment to act
-The Chief declined others suggestions to breach in favor of waiting for a master key
-There was no 'Knock box' which is a box that is suppose to exist with keys for first responders
-The Chief declined others suggestions to engage the suspect through exterior windows in favor of waiting on getting a key to the door
-The school had multiple master keys resulting in it taking longer
-The parents of children's response to try to rush the building resulted in many police being pulled off the situation to hold back parents
-BORTAC (pretty much like a swat unit on steroids that specializes as cartel killers) ended up finally breaching and killing the shooter roughly an hour and a half later

The ideology of the 2nd Amendment is contested on a few points:
-Some believe guns should only exist for personal defense or hunting
-Others believe they exist as a balance towards an oppressive government (with the inclusion of having a well trained militia)
-Some believe the amendment did not account for how advanced guns have become and should not apply to some classes of weapons

I feel that no reasonable steps are taken to help the issue because the two major positions want absolute extremes:
-One side wants some guns banned for everyone without exception and a long term goal of removing them entirely
-The other side wants all guns to be legal and feels any step towards restriction is a violation of civil rights

On gun control I personally disagree with the idea of trying to disarm American civilians. I get that worked for most places in the world but that ship sailed a very long time ago here and I do not see it as a viable solution. The credible number I found was in 2017 there are 1.2 guns for every person in America.

I also feel an intelligent conversation on American gun control should include consideration to the unique issue America has that other places do not- Massive amounts of armed criminals and an aggressive cartel presence.