Hyperventilation, Lactic acid, Exercise
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Hyperventilation, Lactic acid, Exercise

Looking at these things:
    -Dean Karzanes can run up to 350 miles without break. It is either because his body flushes lactic acid more rapidly or because his body doesn't produce it in the first place. (Lactic acid buildup causes muscle fatigue and soreness)
    -Lactic acid forms when the body breaks down carbohydrates to use for energy when oxygen levels are low.
    -I have seen multiple instances of people (specifically Wim Hof Method practitioners) saying that they can do more pushups than usual, even if they don't breathe during the pushups, by hyperventilating beforehand to increase the oxygen levels in the body. (example)
    -For decades professional athletes have been traveling to exercise high in the mountains, where there is less oxygen, because it teaches their bodies to use oxygen more efficiently and therefore improve their endurance.

Combining all those different things above, I have a question:
    If someone went on a slow jog and they were intentionally breathing way faster than they feel necessary - shouldn't they be able to break their personal records of how far they can run?

2. ISO #2

Re: Hyperventilation, Lactic acid, Exercise

I can't answer that. It is an interesting question.

Parallel to it when I was looking at how David Blane did some of the freakish things he did he spoke a lot about that. Apparently when he was a kid he was not a very good swimmer but he discovered he could just not breathe to go faster. He had a lot to say on the subject if you are interested. I he went into it pretty good in an interview with Joe Rogan. He did talk about some techniques to oxygenate prior to starting and how to limit the buildup of certain things that cause issues in oxygenating the body.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

The empirically obtained answer is: absolutely not. You will just end up hyperventilating and having short breath quickly without benefits. I had a similar reasoning some time ago and decided to try it out lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

At the very least I know that you couldn't go too heavy on the hyperventilation because in order to deliver the oxygen you need some CO2 - which is why if you were hyperventilating while sitting you'd soon become tingly then dizzy eventually black out due to lack of oxygen in the cells. (The pH level in human blood is so narrow range because that CO2 to Oxygen proportion in blood is so crucial for survival)
    But I'm just thinking that a bit more breathing should help, right? Just how much breathing and how much help.

Arguably, it helped this guy:
    https://youtu.be/5h_3NVI20T4
    Though he did other stuff that helped..