MU's Mafia Championship, Season 9 - Nominations (vote here!)
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. ISO #1

MU's Mafia Championship, Season 9 - Nominations (vote here!)

MafiaUniverse is once again hosting their annual Mafia Championship series! Our forum has been invited to participate along with many other communities (135 is their goal this year).

The tournament will be held on MafiaUniverse, here's the Season 9 Thread. You may also read the official invitation here.

Like every year, we will vote for a representative and a backup to represent our community in the tournament!

To be eligible:
    - The representative must have played at least one FM game on Sc2 Mafia since the conclusion of the previous Champs Tournament (S-FM 333 and later)
    - The representative must be willing to represent us and able to meet the activity requirements to play in the Championship game(s)
    - The representative must have no criminal history pertaining to FM on Sc2 Mafia

Additionally, you must have played FM on this site to vote in this thread. Smurf votes are not valid (1 vote per person!)

To place your vote on an eligible member, please use the standard voting tags: [vote]username[/vote]. The winner will be our representative, while the runner-up will be our backup. Voting ends when this countdown does:

1000 votes to hammer.

DAYS HOURS MINUTES SECONDS

(Text of this post shamelessly ripped from MM's previous thread)
    Last edited by Lumi; March 18th, 2022 at 05:51 PM.

2. ISO #2

Re: MU's Mafia Championship, Season 9 - Nominations (vote here!)

-vote Lag

EDIT: Do not vote for me, I do not want to go.
    Last edited by Stealthbomber16; March 18th, 2022 at 07:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

I veto Lag and I veto Frinckles.
    Anyone else, who wants to go, I can and will vote.

WHO WANTS TO PLAY IN THE CHAMPS?
    If we don't care about that, I
    -vote Mesk514
    because she was SC2Mafia's representative in the previous season with mountainous setup ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Btw, apparently the game that Mesk was in when participating in champs had a well memorable post, because even though it was years ago I saw it refered to as GOAT case. The post felt lively to read

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

-vote Lag

I'm NOT sheeping!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

-vote LagAttack

take my money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16
    I feel like I'm watching a horror movie and the protag. group is exploring an old house or something and everything is super quiet, but you know something bad is about to happen. Mafia man is about to come out from behind the basement furnace and gun down varcron right in front of me. And there will be nothing I can do.

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    If Lag doesn’t want to go my next vote would be Martin
    Not really interested this time, and I sorta did go last time as I had to replace-in for some other community (as I was our reserve member)

Not that I have any problems with the setup, but champs is a bit stressful for me and I don't feel like stressing myself out this summer lol
    Last edited by MartinGG99; March 19th, 2022 at 02:34 PM.
    A.K.A "That One Idiot"

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by MartinGG99 View Post
    Not really interested this time, and I sorta did go last time as I had to replace-in for some other community (as I was our reserve member)

Not that I have any problems with the setup, but champs is a bit stressful for me and I don't feel like stressing myself out this summer lol
    Swapping into a 12/12 game which got to 1k posts D1 sounds very stressful. AFAIK, expected volume in champs is 500 posts per 24h - so I just wonder how distorted or objective is your champs impression. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post

Swapping into a 12/12 game which got to 1k posts D1 sounds very stressful. AFAIK, expected volume in champs is 500 posts per 24h - so I just wonder how distorted or objective is your champs impression. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Tbh its more related to my mentality

I was dealing with some persistent unhealthy thoughts post-game for that and I would rather wait before having to deal with them again. No, I'm not going to specify.
    A.K.A "That One Idiot"

16. ISO #16

This is the lag i know. The one that solved an entire games mech in their last will, with flavor. On d4.
    Thats the lag that will make this community win.
    -vote Lag
    Are you implying we can only win if we make other people lag?! How dare you!

I will see myself out
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

Tbh its more related to my mentality

I was dealing with some persistent unhealthy thoughts post-game for that and I would rather wait before having to deal with them again. No, I'm not going to specify.
    You manually added that quote in the quote, which made me think for a second it's now a automatic thing on this site.

19. ISO #19

NACL:

For a long time there has been a process for getting unlimited people into the championships friends of MU staff have used. We could just use that to shove as many players as we want in.

Just gotta take an existing forum unrelated to Mafia and play a few games of Mafia on it in a small group and then lobby to get a champ nomination. Next time you see a champ submission from a very oddly specific forum like the 'Vegan Furries of Kenosha' forum you will know its actually just a friend of MU staff bypassing the whole nomination process. Also why every year you see 400000 something communities participating while half that even exist.

You could also ask to get an additional rep because of community size but they are stingy about it like they were not shoving their friends through the back door all day..

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    How to learn that Thingyman is no longer participating in organizing champ's: see mountainous setup being approved for champs
    The 'fuck it' option is real.

I feel like the lack of his presence is felt in many other aspects of how they run these days honestly. He was good people.

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    NACL:

For a long time there has been a process for getting unlimited people into the championships friends of MU staff have used. We could just use that to shove as many players as we want in.

Just gotta take an existing forum unrelated to Mafia and play a few games of Mafia on it in a small group and then lobby to get a champ nomination. Next time you see a champ submission from a very oddly specific forum like the 'Vegan Furries of Kenosha' forum you will know its actually just a friend of MU staff bypassing the whole nomination process. Also why every year you see 400000 something communities participating while half that even exist.

You could also ask to get an additional rep because of community size but they are stingy about it like they were not shoving their friends through the back door all day..
    The requirement MU has for community eligibility is both transparent and hasn't changed in years:
    - Has the community played at least one FM game in the last year?

The bar for entry is so low because one of the primary goals of Champs is to promote cross-community interaction. By having such a low bar to entry it maximizes the number of different communities that can participate in Champs. After all, different communities have different activity levels and different standards of activity, and while some sites might be dedicated FM sites - others might only play a game or two every year! (For example, a community that runs 12 day/2 day phases will have games that last 10 to 14 weeks on average, there's only enough time in a year for 3 to 4 of such games in total!)

And see, there is an important concept in policymaking:
    A good policy aligns incentives with morals.

So what does the policy of "1 Champs rep per community that has played a game in the last year incentivize?"

It incentivizes veteran players from big sites that want to go to Champs to seek out small communities that are struggling to even fill games, to be active members in those communities, to bring new life to them, and potentially even introduce some of the players there to the wider FM world.

Compare that to the policy of "Champs reps are assigned proportional to community size"
    Which incentivizes shunning small communities because why bother when you can just be one of the 12 reps from your big homesite?

It is completely within the power of MU staff to enact the second policy if they wished, but they choose not to.

Now, does the first policy still theoretically allow for the blatant abuse you describe? Yes.
    Does it actually happen as you describe it though? No, not really.

A single player cannot just unilaterally nominate themselves to represent a community at Champs - they would have to have played in a game on the site and then gotten nominated by players on that site. Which at that point leaves the decision up to the players in that small community not MU staff.

Now a group of players could theoretically raid a small community with enough votes to out-vote the home denizens of said small community, but honestly - that's more of a boogeyman that really just doesn't happen with any sort of frequency to be concerned about.

Finally, I understand you have disagreements with the staff at MU due to your ban there, but the overwhelming majority of players I have met and played with from MU are awesome people: Guillo, Nanook, DoctorZeus, Hollowkatt, Schweppes, Bradland, TripleHaven, Dum, Garden Gnome - and those are just the players the ones that I've met on MU that went on to participate in our community here too! There are many more great people I've met there and so I do not appreciate and will not allow this thread to fall into largely unfounded community bashing. If you want to continue this discussion further, feel free to message me on Discord!

23. ISO #23

Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    The requirement MU has for community eligibility is both transparent and hasn't changed in years:
    - Has the community played at least one FM game in the last year?

The bar for entry is so low because one of the primary goals of Champs is to promote cross-community interaction. By having such a low bar to entry it maximizes the number of different communities that can participate in Champs. After all, different communities have different activity levels and different standards of activity, and while some sites might be dedicated FM sites - others might only play a game or two every year! (For example, a community that runs 12 day/2 day phases will have games that last 10 to 14 weeks on average, there's only enough time in a year for 3 to 4 of such games in total!)

And see, there is an important concept in policymaking:
    A good policy aligns incentives with morals.

So what does the policy of "1 Champs rep per community that has played a game in the last year incentivize?"

It incentivizes veteran players from big sites that want to go to Champs to seek out small communities that are struggling to even fill games, to be active members in those communities, to bring new life to them, and potentially even introduce some of the players there to the wider FM world.

Compare that to the policy of "Champs reps are assigned proportional to community size"
    Which incentivizes shunning small communities because why bother when you can just be one of the 12 reps from your big homesite?

It is completely within the power of MU staff to enact the second policy if they wished, but they choose not to.

Now, does the first policy still theoretically allow for the blatant abuse you describe? Yes.
    Does it actually happen as you describe it though? No, not really.

A single player cannot just unilaterally nominate themselves to represent a community at Champs - they would have to have played in a game on the site and then gotten nominated by players on that site. Which at that point leaves the decision up to the players in that small community not MU staff.

Now a group of players could theoretically raid a small community with enough votes to out-vote the home denizens of said small community, but honestly - that's more of a boogeyman that really just doesn't happen with any sort of frequency to be concerned about.

Finally, I understand you have disagreements with the staff at MU due to your ban there, but the overwhelming majority of players I have met and played with from MU are awesome people: Guillo, Nanook, DoctorZeus, Hollowkatt, Schweppes, Bradland, TripleHaven, Dum, Garden Gnome - and those are just the players the ones that I've met on MU that went on to participate in our community here too! There are many more great people I've met there and so I do not appreciate and will not allow this thread to fall into largely unfounded community bashing. If you want to continue this discussion further, feel free to message me on Discord!
    I am just going to say that I love the concept of what MU is. Unifying the global community is a beautiful thing and I honestly never had a negative experience with a player from MU. In the years I was a member there I literally never had a single negative interaction in a game or outside of a game. Having an inter-community competition and a hub for information to help players grow is badass.

The fact some of their staff made a shitty call and have chosen to attack me outside of their community for disrespecting their authority does not mean their community is bad at all. I am sorry if I insinuated that. I love a lot of things about MU and the people within it.
    Last edited by Helz; March 24th, 2022 at 09:07 AM. Reason: PR

24. ISO #24

Lag (6 [L-994]):
    Stealthbomber16, Gikkle, DoctorZeus, Mizery, Marshmallow Marshall, oliverz144

Mesk514 (1 [L-999]):
    OzyWho
    @Lag has been elected as our representative. Congratulations Lag ^^ I forgive you for shamelessly ripping my last thread's text!

25. ISO #25

26. ISO #26

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28

29. ISO #29

30. ISO #30

31. ISO #31

Quote Originally Posted by Mizery View Post
    I'd rather play in the mafia championship than set my balls on fire
    -vote Mizery

for backup XD

32. ISO #32

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34

35. ISO #35

36. ISO #36

37. ISO #37

38. ISO #38

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40

41. ISO #41

42. ISO #42

43. ISO #43

Cool Re: MU's Mafia Championship, Season 9 - Nominations (vote here!)

@Lumi got the first place in the Mafia Championship finale on MafiaUniverse! Congratulations ^^

autograph requests to Lumi on your sicilian mafia hat at home (because you ALL have that) will probably be denied, but I can't speak for them...

44. ISO #44

45. ISO #45

Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

46. ISO #46

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Holy shit congrats lumi!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM-Shocked Kirby Face View Post
    Deathworlds is simply better than us at this game. Don't kill them for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass

47. ISO #47

Holy crap Lag that's awesome. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

48. ISO #48

49. ISO #49

50. ISO #50

Our world conquest plans are moving forward...