Discourse on Inequality
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Discourse on Inequality

Yes it does, MOST HONOURABLE, MAGNIFICENT AND SOVEREIGN LORDS!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    By inequality Rousseau mustve meant that some parents raise their children, whereas others leave them to die in orphanages and then write books about how to be a good parent! They are indeed not the same
    lmao right
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    By inequality Rousseau mustve meant that some parents raise their children, whereas others leave them to die in orphanages and then write books about how to be a good parent! They are indeed not the same
    God, this opens a door to that one AP literature essay I had to rhetorically analyze "The Modest Proposal" by Swift.

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

We should consider what is natural not in things
    depraved but in those which are rightly ordered
    according to nature. Aristotle, Politics, Bk. i, ch. 5

...But what is depraved and what isn't? Tsk tsk tsk

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    We should consider what is natural not in things
    depraved but in those which are rightly ordered
    according to nature. Aristotle, Politics, Bk. i, ch. 5

...But what is depraved and what isn't? Tsk tsk tsk
    Off the top of my head Greek ethics centered around things preforming their natural function well so I bet he is using the term 'depraved' in reference to behavior that goes against a persons natural function as that would have been their version of 'bad' or 'evil'

If your natural purpose was to heal people and you killed them instead it would be a depraved action kinda thing.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    Off the top of my head Greek ethics centered around things preforming their natural function well so I bet he is using the term 'depraved' in reference to behavior that goes against a persons natural function as that would have been their version of 'bad' or 'evil'

If your natural purpose was to heal people and you killed them instead it would be a depraved action kinda thing.
    Yes, that was their conception; but when you look at the quote, it's circular: if it goes against your natural function, it necessarily is depraved, and if it is depraved, it necessarily goes against your nature. Thus, it's saying we should consider what is natural only what is what is natural and not in what is not natural... which is like, duh.

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Yes, that was their conception; but when you look at the quote, it's circular: if it goes against your natural function, it necessarily is depraved, and if it is depraved, it necessarily goes against your nature. Thus, it's saying we should consider what is natural only what is what is natural and not in what is not natural... which is like, duh.
    I see what you mean but that was kind of a cornerstone of their philosophy. Socrates never wrote stuff down but what we know of him from Plato he used circular reasoning in very long and convoluted ways to make his points.

At the same time maybe depraved has some other meaning like hedonistic. I do not think I ever saw circular reasoning in such a small statement. There might be some point there; although I never studied Aristotle that much. The entire Greek ethical model I found to be too fatalistic to have real use and felt like it did very little to provide a framework for making ethical decisions. Anyone could say they believe their purpose changed at a whim to justify whatever they would like.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I see what you mean but that was kind of a cornerstone of their philosophy. Socrates never wrote stuff down but what we know of him from Plato he used circular reasoning in very long and convoluted ways to make his points.

At the same time maybe depraved has some other meaning like hedonistic. I do not think I ever saw circular reasoning in such a small statement. There might be some point there; although I never studied Aristotle that much. The entire Greek ethical model I found to be too fatalistic to have real use and felt like it did very little to provide a framework for making ethical decisions. Anyone could say they believe their purpose changed at a whim to justify whatever they would like.
    Your purpose isn't supposed to change, though. It's something to be "discovered" (according to them, of course). But yes, eventually you could say you actually discovered it to be something else, which is equal to your whim in practice lol