Advice on improving D1 Performance?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Advice on improving D1 Performance?

Hey y'all. I used to play the SC2Mafia mod very VERY actively from 2015 to 2020, where D1 is normally just 10-30 seconds of trolling, people rolequitting, edgy humor, and bullshitting around before the real game begins. So when I entered my first Forum Mafia game, I honestly had no idea what to do on the more important D1s of FM, which not only has been extensively lengthened, but they actually have a vote at the end of the day, meaning D1 is just as crucial as following days, with no leads from Power Roles or kills to go off of. It's all mindgames and guesswork and actually reading people without much context, which is something mod players wouldn't have much experience with.

So I gotta ask, to prevent myself from being suspiciously withdrawn or unneedlessly brash on D1 as I have both accomplished with misapplication of SC2Mafia mod experience on my first FM game a while ago, how would I, as either a Citizen/Basic Townie, a Town Power, or scum, play D1?
    https://imgur.com/a/NqMwElZ fuck it heres all the sc2mafia pics i would have put in the sig

2. ISO #2

Re: Advice on improving D1 Performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Grakylan View Post
    Hey y'all. I used to play the SC2Mafia mod very VERY actively from 2015 to 2020, where D1 is normally just 10-30 seconds of trolling, people rolequitting, edgy humor, and bullshitting around before the real game begins. So when I entered my first Forum Mafia game, I honestly had no idea what to do on the more important D1s of FM, which not only has been extensively lengthened, but they actually have a vote at the end of the day, meaning D1 is just as crucial as following days, with no leads from Power Roles or kills to go off of. It's all mindgames and guesswork and actually reading people without much context, which is something mod players wouldn't have much experience with.

So I gotta ask, to prevent myself from being suspiciously withdrawn or unneedlessly brash on D1 as I have both accomplished with misapplication of SC2Mafia mod experience on my first FM game a while ago, how would I, as either a Citizen/Basic Townie, a Town Power, or scum, play D1?
    Ask questions and answer questions.

Try to see where other people are coming from. I’ve found my day one reads are usually mostly accurate BECAUSE of the lack of information. People are not supposed to solve the game on day one or have extremely confident ideas on who is scum/who is town. I watch for people who are doing things that don’t make sense.

If someone is being pushed by another player, watch how they react. If the reasons they’re being pushed aren’t solid, they will likely read the person pushing them as scum. If they don’t then they that’s unusual. And unusual is scum.

In short, if it doesn’t make sense, question it. Then question other things too.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    Ask questions and answer questions.

Try to see where other people are coming from. I’ve found my day one reads are usually mostly accurate BECAUSE of the lack of information. People are not supposed to solve the game on day one or have extremely confident ideas on who is scum/who is town. I watch for people who are doing things that don’t make sense.

If someone is being pushed by another player, watch how they react. If the reasons they’re being pushed aren’t solid, they will likely read the person pushing them as scum. If they don’t then they that’s unusual. And unusual is scum.

In short, if it doesn’t make sense, question it. Then question other things too.
    Ok, so I would assume that stuff like pushing a lynch train, dodging questions, hedging, etc. to be sus. What else should I look out for in how a person acts on D1?

I received conflicting advice regarding opening with a vote. A lot of the local pros do it all the time to get the ball rolling, and I have always pushed votes in the mod to get the ball rolling and make the town start discussing and questioning stuff. But when I, as a Town Power, tried to pull a similar move on my FM game on D1, I immediately got shat on and was made scum read for quite a while before I was able to recover by D2.

And that's not to mention how would you play if you were actually scum? My mod playstyle as scum was often the same as my playstyle as town: Be bold, aggressive, put people up but with the additional intent of mislynching. If that then should I just keep that same consistency as my mod playstyle or my hypothetical FM town playstyle as scum?
    https://imgur.com/a/NqMwElZ fuck it heres all the sc2mafia pics i would have put in the sig

5. ISO #5

Get over the fact that you will be wrong, and that you will mislynch. Some games you will be a town Shephard and lead people off a cliff. Sometimes you cannot always be the best mafia player in the room and all of that is ok.

What's important D1 is trying to find some way of communicating to others that you are town. No lame excuses or senseless OGI. Just try to find some solidarity with other players and combine that with some metric of sorting them out (this differs significantly from player to player.) Some people like meta reads, some like tonal reads, some just like players that shitpost the funniest or a combo of all.

The apprehension with D1 town especially for newer players is the fear of failing themselves and their teammates. Similarly a problem for D1 Mafia is being seen as the scum they are by forcing a mislynch too early and aggressively. But one of the fastest ways to get killed as either faction is to sit on your hands and do nothing whether that's because you are scared or if your house is on fire IRL.

When you see that green flip before night 1, remember that it is not the time for fear. That comes later. Mafia is a hard game, never forget it. That's my 2c.
    (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)ﻭ 레드벨벳 ! ! ٩(♡ε♡ )۶

6. ISO #6

Also, read literature on Mafia game theory and apply it to real life like a larping nerd.

We have players here who have written essays on the game. MafiaUniverse has some good stuff too, like their putting wolves in boxes guide. 48 laws of power is a good read if you're a psychopath. gl
    (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)ﻭ 레드벨벳 ! ! ٩(♡ε♡ )۶

7. ISO #7

Tbh Just discover how you play. There are many different play styles, some people will be adamant there is only one way to play and it had to be the most efficient way.

But, it's.not everyone's cup of tea.

I personally enjoy playing differently ^^

There is always one way to become "good" which is just have a high post count. If you scream the most and the loudest you tend to be considered important.

Oh, and try to make friends. Might seem cruel, but if you become popular and loveable you can be much more successful. People will listen and trust you because of their personal bias.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

8. ISO #8

Games start with no info. As town you should work to create information from nothing. This is generally done by random voting (Which is why the first leg of D1 is generally refereed to as RVS or Random Voting Stage.) The idea is that by casting votes without reasoning people can build reasoning from those votes.

Player C: Hello. I am a cat. Meow~
    Player A: I think Player C is a cat. Lynch all cats (Votes C)
    Player B: I think Player A is making up nonsense to push a misslynch! (Votes A)
    Player C: I agree. Lets get A (Votes A)

^Super simplistic version of it but from this method you take trolling into building a train with reasoning. Once real trains form people can evaluate reasoning and the game starts but the objective is to 'break' RVS. It can be done by overstating your reasoning and pushing a player or even by making yourself look scummy to draw a train onto yourself (if you are experianced enough to take the heat.)

Past that if you are crossing over from the mod to FM I would recommend skimming this:
    https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showt...f-Scum-Hunting

If you have a low attention span just read the tells and their descriptions and you will probably be starting off with a better grounding than a large chunk of FM players in the global community.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Tbh Just discover how you play. There are many different play styles, some people will be adamant there is only one way to play and it had to be the most efficient way.

But, it's.not everyone's cup of tea.

I personally enjoy playing differently ^^

There is always one way to become "good" which is just have a high post count. If you scream the most and the loudest you tend to be considered important.

Oh, and try to make friends. Might seem cruel, but if you become popular and loveable you can be much more successful. People will listen and trust you because of their personal bias.
    Yes, and the negative version of it is also true: if you're being very dislikeable, chances are people won't listen to you, no matter how right you may be...

I see a lot of very good tips and no "D1 sucks reeee!!!", which makes me happy! I will say, though, that D1 does not have to be rocket science. You can try to pull really good plays on that day and that can be highly beneficial, but you also can just partake in RVS and point out what you think might be suspicious and push people based on it, without too much fear of being wrong because D1 is not the place to fear mislynches too much (even though they should obviously be avoided when scum lynches are possible).

As for scum games, I'm no expert but I think you should try to replicate your town play as much as possible and strike at the right time. A good scum play is a town-looking play driven by anti-town intents. Being aggressive can work if you're comfortable with the strategy, but as far as I know, that is quite rare even among veterans.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by NotPaopan View Post
    Everyone has different playstyle

You should create your own meta

My advice is to scum read everyone on day 1 so you can be one of the town's PoE
    I'm not sure this is the best advice to give to a new player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13