Well, given the general reception and play level on the beta, versus how many people remain in 1.0, this feels like a bit of a formality, but here goes.
After over two years of work behind the scenes, it is my honor and privlege to announce that today, we are officially releasing Starcraft 2 Mafia 2.0. With 16 new roles, several changes to existing roles, a new "Chaos mode", multiple save slots, and improved visuals, we hope you like it! There are still some areas we're working on for balance and meaning, but we'd love to hear constructive feedback about how to make the game even better, or Frinckles would probably just like validation for all the work he's added into the game.
Suffice to say, while this has been a long road, we're by no means done with supporting 2.0.
New town roles include:
- The Constable, a Town Government role that can kill one person during the day, instantly revealing himself as the Constable.
- The Armorsmith, a Town Protective role that manufactures and distributes bulletproof vests to the populace. Be careful who you give vests to!
- The Street Racer, who can become immune to attack by using his power. Bait out powerful charged roles to make them waste charges!
- The Party Host, who simply loves to have a party. This socialite can throw a party at night to allow discussion to continue. Everyone except Jailors and equivalent and their targets will attend, and it supersedes any other night chats! Make sure to make a list of who showed up and who's busy!
- The Enchantress, a mystic who can Lure one person to her, and simultaneously Repel another target from visiting her.
- The Oracle, a mystic who can discern the truth of someone else's role...but nobody will listen to their claims until they die.
New Mafia/Triad roles
- The Actress/Diva: This role imitates the role of their most recent target, appearing as such when they die! Try to use this to mess up the graveyard tallies!
- The Heartbreaker/Swinger: Similar to the Lover, they must fall in love with someone N1. If the Heartbreaker/Swinger dies, their beloved dies as well. But don't expect the Heartbreaker/Swinger to be especially broken up if their beloved dies!
New Mafia role:
- THe Caporegime: Kidnapper out of kills? Janitor useless because too many coroners? The Caporegime can retrain a mafia member to take on a new mafia role!
New Triad Role:
- The Double Flower: Similar to the Constable, the Double Flower can execute one player during day chat without being revealed.
- New Neutral roles:
- The Poisoner: Sneakily poison people, causing them to die in a few days. This Neutral Kill role doesn't count as a direct attack, so it bypasses the normal Bodyguard and vesting protections!
- The Lover: Falls in love with someone. If either the Lover or their beloved dies later, the other will die of a broken heart the following night phase. Try to figure out what your beloved is and help them with their win condition!
CHAOS mode! Available on Weekends only, this includes powerful roles that make the game extra unpredictable, such as the Omnijester (ALL guilty voters commit suicide), the dayburn Arsonist, and the Bonker, who clubs people on the head to turn them into Amnesiacs!
Additional tweaks include:
*Escort has been moved from Town Protective to Town Support spawn. While we understand how Escort was placed in protective originally, it's very difficult to use in this fashion unless you can find the kill role and chainblock him. Therefore, we decided it was better moved to support. This is not expected to impact the game balance meaningfully.
*Spy can NO LONGER READ MAFIA NIGHT CHAT. He can still see the Mafia Kill target and the Mafia other targets, depending on options.
The Mafia's single greatest advantage, exceeding even their power to kill at night, is the ability to discuss, plan, organize, and collectively get their stories straight in night chat to work as a team. The mere threat of a spy MAYBE spawning in, prevents the Mafia from using this ability to its full potential. This is expected to buff the Mafia a bit because they'll be able to have better stories and coordinate their actions better.
I am uploading the new version of the main map at present. Try not to get killed N1!