Remove -prefer -blacklist, mafia2 vest hogging up all the "fun" roles - Page 2
Register

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. ISO #51

Re: Remove -prefer -blacklist, mafia2 vest hogging up all the "fun" roles

Personally I like the idea of not having to play roles that I truly dont enjoy playing, and I enjoy preferring roles like jester where I actually have fun thats not the same old same old.

I am in favor of a limit restriction on both, as I think that the reward for higher points is an incentive to keep both veterans and new players playing either to enjoy what they worked and played for or to work towards the rewards. The only real problem is when its so many blacklists and prefers that it clogs it up and forces certain boring roles on players, I would suggest 3 blacklists and 3 prefers, I believe this is both balanced and a middleground.

2. ISO #52

I would like to see things remain unchanged in terms of -prefer and -blacklist.

I have enough points to use them both, but I use them sparingly. However, there was a time where I used -prefer every game, and that period lasted several years.

Listen, I understand your point and you make a great point. People with tons of points hog all the fun roles, and if you see them in your lobby, chances are they're going to get a small selection of roles and if you can pinpoint who they are as a player you can also guess what role they might be. Consider it a weakness/strength.

Anyways, let them have it bro. I think we should just chill on this one. There are players I enjoy playing against who are amazing at this game but only prefer a few specific roles, and I would rather beat them at their best versus making them play something they don't want to.

The right to -prefer is a privilege new players seek to strive towards. If you think about it in an RPG context.. I've played this game for a decade+, so I got prefer maybe 5 years ago? lol. But I remember questing for it, trying for it. I was like "just a few more games then I never have to be evil again". Don't deprive people of this rite of passage. Those that have earned it, earned it.

Anyways, I understand your point of view and even think it is valid, but we need to keep it the same. Sometimes, unfairness is the circumstance that drives people.

3. ISO #53

4. ISO #54

5. ISO #55

6. ISO #56

7. ISO #57

8. ISO #58

Quote Originally Posted by Skrundead View Post
    Personally I like the idea of not having to play roles that I truly dont enjoy playing, and I enjoy preferring roles like jester where I actually have fun thats not the same old same old.

I am in favor of a limit restriction on both, as I think that the reward for higher points is an incentive to keep both veterans and new players playing either to enjoy what they worked and played for or to work towards the rewards. The only real problem is when its so many blacklists and prefers that it clogs it up and forces certain boring roles on players, I would suggest 3 blacklists and 3 prefers, I believe this is both balanced and a middleground.
    A simple blacklist/prefer size reduction will not change the result if there are enough veteran players in the lobby. They will still hog the preferred roles.

Lag's solution to make prefers/blacklists not work 50% of the time is a better solution.

Your friendly neighbourhood Asian.

9. ISO #59

10. ISO #60

I wholeheartedly disagree with where this is going.

I see a lot of new players complain about it after they learn about its existence, but how many of us consistently use -prefer? Do you -prefer every game? Do you -prefer same roles all the time?

On top of this, consider these facts:

1) The game decides list of roles before game initialises. - No guarantee of Prefer working.
    2) If a role is open, -prefer does not guarantee you that role - No guarantee of Prefer working.
    3) If there are others -prefering the same role - Again, No guarantee of Prefer working.

Your argument that new players cannot enjoy it is simply wrong and misguided.

Before my points reset several times over a course of 10 years or more, I've enjoyed ALL the roles available in the game more or less equally without uses of -prefer, even against players with high points.

Now when I -prefer, I get the role in perhaps 20-30% of the games. But hey, maybe the role went to another player who used -prefer. Perhaps. But in a lot of cases, they went to newer players.

Another thing you forget is veteran players need certain privileges to set them apart from new players. Apart from use of colours and various characters that unlock during progression, there aren't that many privileges veteran players can use. -Blacklist is much more powerful than -prefer, but people focus more on what others get because grass is always greener on the other side.

Leave -Prefer alone. It is nerfed enough and does not guarantee you a role. New players competing against -prefer can also get the role.
    Just enjoy what you get and not what others can get. Stop being so jealous and salty.
    Last edited by ikarusdk; January 14th, 2022 at 08:48 PM.

11. ISO #61

Quote Originally Posted by ikarusdk View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree with where this is going.

I see a lot of new players complain about it after they learn about its existence, but how many of us consistently use -prefer? Do you -prefer every game? Do you -prefer same roles all the time?

On top of this, consider these facts:

1) The game decides list of roles before game initialises. - No guarantee of Prefer working.
    2) If a role is open, -prefer does not guarantee you that role - No guarantee of Prefer working.
    3) If there are others -prefering the same role - Again, No guarantee of Prefer working.

Your argument that new players cannot enjoy it is simply wrong and misguided.

Before my points reset several times over a course of 10 years or more, I've enjoyed ALL the roles available in the game more or less equally without uses of -prefer, even against players with high points.

Now when I -prefer, I get the role in perhaps 20-30% of the games. But hey, maybe the role went to another player who used -prefer. Perhaps. But in a lot of cases, they went to newer players.

Another thing you forget is veteran players need certain privileges to set them apart from new players. Apart from use of colours and various characters that unlock during progression, there aren't that many privileges veteran players can use. -Blacklist is much more powerful than -prefer, but people focus more on what others get because grass is always greener on the other side.

Leave -Prefer alone. It is nerfed enough and does not guarantee you a role. New players competing against -prefer can also get the role.
    Just enjoy what you get and not what others can get. Stop being so jealous and salty.
    Leave prefer alone? I've had the ability to use prefer for a long time. I'm not jealous and salty. I'm sad that the powerful roles get slurped up by the "veterans" who feel they deserve something.

I've never got a role I blacklisted, and infrequently I don't get a role I preferred if it spawned in game.

It brings OUT OF GAME INFORMATION into THE GAME. That shouldn't be allowed.

If you as a "veteran" need some special ability to lord over new players in order to have fun, well, that just says enough doesn't it.

12. ISO #62

13. ISO #63

14. ISO #64

15. ISO #65

16. ISO #66

I really dont care for this system. for being a new player to this Ive been able to play some roles and learn more about them. sure im not always going to be someone I want but IDC I get to have fun with what I get. the prefer/blacklist system is something im looking forward to getting the more I play. sence its so high then I know the more you do the more you get