Nerf Jailor Role
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

Re: Nerf Jailor Role

I don't believe Jailors are overpowered as long as the execution is limited. It is a powerful yet balanced role because you are limited to days without lynching, and to be a successful jailor, you require good deduction skills. Perhaps you are upset about Night 1 kills (based on the other post), but that is no different to other killing roles performing kills. Having said that, jailors performing executions night 1 without any good reasons are just people who want to see the world burn for those who waited 30 minutes for a game, and it is unfortunate, but they do exist in the community. But the vast majority are good people who would not make the N1 execution without a reason.

And you were DH that game, so overall, I say jailor did make the right choice for his goal, which is to kill off evils. It's just bad luck to be picked n1.
    Last edited by ikarusdk; November 29th, 2021 at 04:28 AM.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

You are in charge of the balance if you host. If you want a specific role to not be in the game, host the lobby and disable it from spawning. You’ll find you might have longer wait times but you will get what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

It really is an op role.

Perfect role blocking
    Near perfect protector
    Coordinates and functions as a semi investigator demanding claims
    Can kill
    Is self confirmable providing excellent lynch insulation

At the same time though the game follows the philosophy of being balanced for how players play it as opposed to being actually balanced.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    It really is an op role.

Perfect role blocking
    Near perfect protector
    Coordinates and functions as a semi investigator demanding claims
    Can kill
    Is self confirmable providing excellent lynch insulation

At the same time though the game follows the philosophy of being balanced for how players play it as opposed to being actually balanced.
    I feel like it’s put in check by the existence of a mafia equivalent in kidnapper moreso than anything it individually can or can’t do. There’s no kidnapper in TOS, and jailor is such a centralizing role there that the meta broke down into jailor claiming day 1 so that protectives and lookout could protect it. When you look at our jailor through that lens… starts to look a bit better.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by Serena View Post
    So let me get this straight, if an interro has kidnapped someone and executed. and then runs out of ammo from kidnapping and shooting, and they jail the SK. and can't execute, that person dies then? because the sk can't be roleblocked right?
    Depends on if SK kills role blockers is on if I remember correctly.

My earlier point was that theres 2 main doctrines to balancing a game. One in which you try to quantify what optimal play is and then set the game up to have true balance. Another where you look at your player base and figure out what they do so you can just make games enjoyable for the way they are played.

Consider Starcraft. Mathematically Zerglings and Tanks have insane DPS but because of how they are used they are considered 'balanced.' This balance is measured and modified based on how the highest tiers of players preform in tournaments and such. Every once in a while someone innovates breaking the balance and changing the meta but its re-established with patches.

Our mod is more self-balanced. Players create setups and when a setup favors one side or one role people get angry about it forcing repicks and occasionally balance updates. If you ever decide to get into the Forum Mafia version of the game you will very quickly discover that the SC2Mod is crazy imbalanced and if you had a full group of 'competent' players the town would just laughingly stomp the scum every time.

That said, its less about actually balancing the game so much as giving tools to players to make the game enjoyable. But to your point I very much agree that the Jailor is an extremely over powered role in many respects. Although it also depends on what options are enabled.

Tangentially Crier was my favorite role before it had an evil counterpart simply because having an anonymous but confirmed town voice made it a citizen who could coordinate. It was very powerful in the right hands but also arguably the most skill based role but got reduced to a blathering troll at night when it lost its confirmed town status.

12. ISO #12