Purpose of neopronouns?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Question Purpose of neopronouns?

If you try to google the meaning of any neopronoun that you know and if your googling skills are same as mine, then chances are you'll only find that it's nothing more than a synonym for they/them.

This may give some insight into the purpose of neopronouns:
    “It’s different for everyone,” Finch says. “For two years I used ‘ze’ and ‘hir’ pronouns, and it’s kind of a process of trying them out and having other people try them out to see how it feels and sounds.” (Finch now primarily identifies as “he” and “him.”)

The common sentiment for having different options for your pronoun to choose from is something like this:
    Words that in a way function as a marker of some part of one's identity, it does matter that people should find those they can feel comfortable with.

I'm all for people feeling better. But why would a synonym of the same word feel any different? Same meaning, different sound. What's the purpose?

I don't care what people decide to call themselves, but except it creates problems doesn't it? If I want to talk about Marshmallow Marshall and not say that long name every time - I have to go ask him his preferred pronoun first. Assuming I know his name in the first place.

What I want to understand is - how are neopronouns worth anything? What am I missing?
    I myself wanted to learn about this stuff, but I can't help and conclude that neopronouns add problems for no benefit that I can see.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: Purpose of neopronouns?

Ohh..
    After googling this stuff and laying all my impressions, thoughts and views out in the open for scrutiny so that people can correct me where I'm wrong - I get kicked/banned from a discord on the accusation of acting in bad faith and not actually wanting people to correct me or something like that.

Talking to people is difficult for me, people always assume the bad.

5. ISO #5

BRUH y u talking to urself?

Honestly, I think this pronoun stuff is overblown. Trans people deserve to be treated equally as everyone else (to prevent them from mental illnesses and putting them at risk of substance addiction in the future), but this pronoun culture being adopted everywhere is over-represented and creates a superficial environment. I don't see why 80% of society has to adapt to the vocal minorities of the < 1%; same mentaliy applies to all social issues.

I don't remember trans people asking everyone to set pronouns on their internet handles and white knighting these minorities that aren't even asking for this kind of help. No different from Kony2012, the Paris flag filters during the Paris attacks, or local landmarks changing their RGB lighting in some foreign countries whenever tragedy happens. It's all pointless virtue signalling. There are better ways to help these people like volunteer counseling and monetary donations to grassroots organizations and research that specifically aid these people.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

I think a large portion of the optics of this issue comes from a very small but very vocal portion of the population. I am not going to pretend to understand the logic behind the titles and as Oops said- I have never actually seen someone get offended and push some weird pronoun although I have seen truckloads of pushing the idea of being pronoun considerate.

9. ISO #9

^ what Oops and Helz said. Really, this looks like a mini-community's concern, and I honestly doubt it will be generalized to society as a whole. If it helps some people feel better in "safe space" communities (online or in real life), then... good? The rest (such as asking everyone in all contexts to specify their pronouns) is just hypercorrection imo, and actually seems to be pretty rare - I've yet to encounter such a thing personally.
    Last edited by Marshmallow Marshall; November 27th, 2021 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeacesGhost View Post
    BRUH y u talking to urself?

Honestly, I think this pronoun stuff is overblown. Trans people deserve to be treated equally as everyone else (to prevent them from mental illnesses and putting them at risk of substance addiction in the future), but this pronoun culture being adopted everywhere is over-represented and creates a superficial environment. I don't see why 80% of society has to adapt to the vocal minorities of the < 1%; same mentaliy applies to all social issues.

I don't remember trans people asking everyone to set pronouns on their internet handles and white knighting these minorities that aren't even asking for this kind of help. No different from Kony2012, the Paris flag filters during the Paris attacks, or local landmarks changing their RGB lighting in some foreign countries whenever tragedy happens. It's all pointless virtue signalling. There are better ways to help these people like volunteer counseling and monetary donations to grassroots organizations and research that specifically aid these people.
    I agree, I think what's most important is to treat them equally like everyone else, and that there are better ways to help them other than the pronoun issue.

Funding research, grassroots support and voluntary counseling are all good measures.

At the forefront, I think activities to raise awareness and help the public understand them better would be helpful in building inclusive societies. But they need to be hype-beast events to attract people to learn more, instead of snoozefest lectures.

Combating discrimination (proper pronouns, quotas for employment / education opportunities, suppressing hatespeech, etc) is good but imo it's a slippery slope. The public must WANT to be inclusive. Strong-arming them into "cooperation" will only lead to surface-level harmony, but the xenophobia will always be there underneath and express itself through other means.

As I mentioned in Discord the other day, I think the real issue is in the way that people THINK, and not necessarily and solely determined by the words they use.

Penalties can be a stopgap measure in the short-term (discriminatory violence, hate speech, etc should not be allowed), but awareness & understanding is key to combating discrimination in the long-term.
    Last edited by Exeter350; November 27th, 2021 at 10:12 PM.

Your friendly neighbourhood Asian.