Greatest Songs - Vote!
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Greatest Songs - Vote!

So, I heard MU/FOL is having a competition but it didn't make sense to me what they were doing. They're having people submit songs to some arbitrary categories, each category having its own judge, and the judges each rank the songs. Which is kinda dumb? What if I don't agree with their judgment? They're just average Joes?

So instead here in this thread, you just submit a song (songs?) you really like. Do not submit something someone else has submitted before. Once we reach a pile of, say, 100 songs, we'll all vote on which one is our favourite.

List will be up in the next post.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Re: Greatest Songs - Vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    So, I heard MU/FOL is having a competition but it didn't make sense to me what they were doing. They're having people submit songs to some arbitrary categories, each category having its own judge, and the judges each rank the songs. Which is kinda dumb? What if I don't agree with their judgment? They're just average Joes?

So instead here in this thread, you just submit a song (songs?) you really like. Do not submit something someone else has submitted before. Once we reach a pile of, say, 100 songs, we'll all vote on which one is our favourite.

List will be up in the next post.
    Clearly there's some lack of understanding what a Walrus is.

Walrus is a forum game where the participants submits songs according to various categories. These categories are determined by the Walrus's host and judged solely by the hosts own music taste and their own criteria. Some scoring is usually involved. If someone ranks higher or lower than others it doesn't mean their taste in music is better or worse, it just means they happen to submit what the host likes either more or less.
    The point of Walruses is to have live reveals where everyone on discord listens to the submissions, sees how everyone scored, and just generally have a good time together. Usually there's a lot of guessing "I think x submitted this" involved which people enjoy, so the hosts don't usually reveal the submitter early in the song.

Walrus the forum game was originally created on 2+2, but is now pretty much centered at MU and some of it's close communities, like Syndicate, BFC and apparently also Smogon, though they're more isolated. Now FoL joins the fray. If they'll like it, they might end up having like on MU and Syndicate - many walruses ongoing at the same time, and always a new one arrives when some has ended.

Usually a host takes either 1 or 2 weeks to have a category reveal ready. And that's with an average of 20 submissions + their own chosen categories + they've stated their taste in music which others usually try to abide in order to score higher.
    This idea of having 100 random songs and everyone rate every? It's absurd, sorry.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Clearly there's some lack of understanding what a Walrus is.

Walrus is a forum game where the participants submits songs according to various categories. These categories are determined by the Walrus's host and judged solely by the hosts own music taste and their own criteria. Some scoring is usually involved. If someone ranks higher or lower than others it doesn't mean their taste in music is better or worse, it just means they happen to submit what the host likes either more or less.
    The point of Walruses is to have live reveals where everyone on discord listens to the submissions, sees how everyone scored, and just generally have a good time together. Usually there's a lot of guessing "I think x submitted this" involved which people enjoy, so the hosts don't usually reveal the submitter early in the song.

Walrus the forum game was originally created on 2+2, but is now pretty much centered at MU and some of it's close communities, like Syndicate, BFC and apparently also Smogon, though they're more isolated. Now FoL joins the fray. If they'll like it, they might end up having like on MU and Syndicate - many walruses ongoing at the same time, and always a new one arrives when some has ended.

Usually a host takes either 1 or 2 weeks to have a category reveal ready. And that's with an average of 20 submissions + their own chosen categories + they've stated their taste in music which others usually try to abide in order to score higher.
    This idea of having 100 random songs and everyone rate every? It's absurd, sorry.
    He said that we vote for the best, not that we rate every single one of them... It is not absurd and is actually perfectly functional, although 100 songs may be a little ambitious. 50 would be more than enough, in fact probably 30.

Also, I wanted to get into walruses but then checked the rules and had the reaction Mag had. That and most of the songs were bad imo xD. This looks perfect.

Imagine forcing people to have a spotify account to participate, though. That would be absolutely insane! Good thing noone would think of such an horrible process.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

8. ISO #8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WJOK7CJvtI - Haf Gengr Hridum (Christopher Tin)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZTRGiI - Hurt (Johnny Cash)
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    He said that we vote for the best, not that we rate every single one of them... It is not absurd and is actually perfectly functional
    Ahh fair enough.

I myself don't see the fun aspect of this so I won't participate.
    Maybe if everyone was allowed to sub only 1 song, it'd be interesting to see who'd win among the many.

The winner would deserve a reward tbh

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    The winner would deserve a reward tbh
    This may be something to consider if there is significant interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PSFN2r6bXY - Song of Durin (LotR song put in music by Clamavi de Profundis)
    Last edited by Marshmallow Marshall; October 31st, 2021 at 04:40 PM.

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12