Creating opportunities for youth
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Creating opportunities for youth

Over the years I have had a passion for enabling people to accomplish things in life. I have recently started dating a girl that shares that passion and I have been reaching out to people for ideas and advice on what could be effective.

A lot of my focus is on things that create opportunities long term without consistency requiring money and time. One basic thing I have settled on is using my ability in construction to repair the basketball goals in a local park.

A good portion of what I am looking at gets into networking within local government which I have little experience in but if anyone has experience working with that, NPO’s or even just ideas I would appreciate any thoughts.

2. ISO #2

Re: Creating opportunities for youth

Many K-12 schools have something called a "Facilities Use Request." Sometimes it's on their website (buried), sometimes you have to email the business department (addr should be available online).

What those give you are a place to meet other than a public park: You can reserve a school's soccer field, gym, etc. All you have to do is fill out a form that you won't leave any trash/etc. The nicer/bigger the facility, the less likely they'll grant use w/o history.

It's an option if you want a place to meet that's familiar to kids. If you get someone like Lions or Rotary to contribute some cheap materials, your group can do the install, and then you'll have an in in the future.

3. ISO #3

Re: Creating opportunities for youth

Quote Originally Posted by MaShY View Post
    Many K-12 schools have something called a "Facilities Use Request." Sometimes it's on their website (buried), sometimes you have to email the business department (addr should be available online).

What those give you are a place to meet other than a public park: You can reserve a school's soccer field, gym, etc. All you have to do is fill out a form that you won't leave any trash/etc. The nicer/bigger the facility, the less likely they'll grant use w/o history.

It's an option if you want a place to meet that's familiar to kids. If you get someone like Lions or Rotary to contribute some cheap materials, your group can do the install, and then you'll have an in in the future.
    I appreciate the info. When digging through the NPO listings I did come across Lions.

The conversation that started this was literally about how the youth in Killeen too often don’t have access to athletic programs on a basic level.